Author Topic: Burning body fat  (Read 1682 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Burning body fat
« on: 14 September, 2008, 08:01:10 am »

So my body fat is going up and muscle mass going down :( I can't ride or do much of any "intensive" exercise. My diet is fairly good now. Drinking is down considerably, infact I can't remember the last time I was in a pub. Water intake is upto 3 litres.

What's the best way to burn fat for me?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Burning body fat
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2008, 08:03:31 am »
Eat less.  You'd be surprised how little food you need if you are sedentary.  Try having home-made soup for dinner everynight.

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2008, 01:12:32 pm »
Burning body fat is going to be really hard if you are not doing anything.  Perhaps this is a question for your dietician?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2008, 01:37:38 pm »
Eat well, but very little and really limit the 'treats' but don't cut them out altogether.
I found losing weight easier when sedentary because I didn't feel 'bonked out' much of the time.
Only eat at mealtimes and make sure there are no high-calorie snacks near the TV or computer.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2008, 04:02:42 am »
Doing that already :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2008, 08:53:13 am »
Having a regular, easy to achieve goal works for me.  Trying to lose 2 stone for example is a bit demoralising but losing a pound in a week is more achieveable.

Create a spreadsheet.
Column A is dates, every row is a week (1st October, 8th October, 15th October and so on)

Column B is your target weight (starting with your current weight and decreasing by 1 pound per week)

Column C is your actual weight every week, pick a 'weigh day' that gives you a good chance of having lost some weight (Not Sunday morning after a Friday/Saturday feast). Thursday is good.

Your goal is to lose 1 pound per week (and not much more).  Sometimes, if you are quite overweight you may easily lose more but 1 pound per week is a pretty healthy goal, shifting the fat but not 'leaching' muscle mass.

Unless you are pretty slim already 1 pound per week should be easy and the spreadsheet approach (column B) lets you see how effective it can be over a few months (6 months = 2 stone or thereabouts). All you have to do is cut back.

If you are sedentary then you really may need to start calorie counting because you won't have many to play with.

Remember 1 pound = 3500 calories (500 per day).

Good luck

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2008, 09:57:14 am »
Doing that already :(

If your total energy intake is less than 1500 kcal (6MJ) you will lose body fat; it won't be quick but it will happen.

It might be an idea to weigh your food portions from time to time to ensure you don't eat more than you think.