Author Topic: Transcontinental 2016  (Read 62055 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Transcontinental 2016
« Reply #175 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:24:23 am »
You don't fool me - I think he went for a cable car ride. /OccamsRazor
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #176 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:13:58 pm »
Has Mike Hall checked Kristof for a motor  :o ??? ;D

He now appears to be about 300+km ahead of the nearest rival and Bjorn seems to have slipped back.  Or to really rub it in he's a whole country (Slovenia) ahead of the pack!!!!!

« Reply #177 on: 03 August, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »
... but where is 142 going?  He looks like he's following the same route as Control Car 1 used to get to CP3 ...

142 is a fat bastard that doesn't like hills, but he is flipping quick on the flatter stuff.  So this might be a genius move ...

He's moved a fair bit east, so definitely was quite fast on the flat stuff, but is now progressing northwards towards CP3.  I guess it remains to be seen how steep that route is going to be, compared to the "straight through the mountains" route used by most.  A few other riders are also taking a similar approach to him, but not necessarily waiting until they are quite as far east as he was, before turning to the north.
Actually, it is rocket science.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #178 on: 03 August, 2016, 04:31:25 pm »
Looks like it should work out quite well for him.  Just outside the top 10 by the looks of it.

Contender James Hayden, who had to rest up early on with a chest infection, is flying along and is targeting a top 10 finish still.  Stunning.

And as for Kristof.  Well, we're seeing magic happen!  Mind-blowing.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #179 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
Just to put things into perspective, Kristof already passed two frontlines of the 90-ies while the others are still in area's where there has never been a glimpse of war at all.
Is Björns tracker dead? He hasn't been moving for a while on the Free Route tracker

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #180 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:31:47 pm »
Bjorn has reported breathing difficulties as I understand it.  Been to see a doctor, but clearly slowed down a lot currently.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #181 on: 04 August, 2016, 09:00:33 am »
Apart from the 'Machine' that is Kristof it looks like the outstanding rider currently is James Hayden who is now ~10th on the road after a massive push through the mountains  :o :o

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #182 on: 04 August, 2016, 11:20:37 am »
I find the whole thing quite confusing .. at the front there are superhumans and at the back there seem to be guys going for a gentle tour .. making progress at about my speed.  What do we speculate is the motivation of the riders at the back ??  Just to take part .. even tho they have a very solitary ride .. how much does this cost them to do .. and why not just ride a long continental tour , even possibly with mates, having a great time .. why enter this event??
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #183 on: 04 August, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »
I find the whole thing PBP quite confusing .. at the front there are superhumans and at the back there seem to be guys like Fidgetbuzz  going for a gentle tour .. making progress at about my speed.
Does that help at all?  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #184 on: 04 August, 2016, 01:43:13 pm »
As i understand it, there is a finisher's party on next Saturday. That is 15 days from the start.

That is the goal for many. Make the party.

That is still 250-300km per day, so really big distances.

Of course some don't make it in time for the party, but I am sure they have a wild adventure.

The guidance on TransAm is anything more than 40 days and it is starting to look like touring.
Right! What's next?

simonp

« Reply #185 on: 04 August, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »
Audax minimum pace at that distance is 200km/day so that target is considerably more challenging.

« Reply #186 on: 04 August, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »
I'm sticking my hat into the ring next year.
I'm totally enthralled by the the whole event.
I know that starting places are hard to come by but its worth a shot.
often lost.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #187 on: 04 August, 2016, 02:21:58 pm »
I may also throw my hat in the ring. TransAm interests me more, but this could be a good test run. I am also trying to do another long solo ride and have a couple of projects I am working on with that.

I have just begun the process of quitting and selling my part of my main business, so may have more time next year. Though I am also starting a new business up and I am intrigued as to how that will grow (or not). So who knows!
Right! What's next?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #188 on: 04 August, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »
I find the whole thing PBP quite confusing .. at the front there are superhumans and at the back there seem to be guys like Fidgetbuzz  going for a gentle tour .. making progress at about my speed.

Well yes and no Matt. All PBP entrants have ridden a 600 in time .. so the 90 hour limit is achievable for all entrants .. even tho they know they are not riding at speeds comparable to the leaders  .. but here the back markers seem to have been riding for about 3 1/2 days and stopped for about 2 days.. this is not similar to  the back of PBP.. and at the moment it does seem as if many will not make the 10 day limit and they will know that now ( although maybe my guess at their performance is incorrect ) .. so why they doing it ?? still my query??
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 04 August, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »
Frank's made CP3
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #190 on: 04 August, 2016, 04:04:21 pm »

Well yes and no Matt. All PBP entrants have ridden a 600 in time .. so the 90 hour limit is achievable for all entrants .. even tho they know they are not riding at speeds comparable to the leaders  .. but here the back markers seem to have been riding for about 3 1/2 days and stopped for about 2 days.. this is not similar to  the back of PBP.. and at the moment it does seem as if many will not make the 10 day limit and they will know that now ( although maybe my guess at their performance is incorrect ) .. so why they doing it ?? still my query??

There is no limit.

15 days is a guideline target and reaching Turkey in time for the party is the aim for a large chunk of the riders.

Why does anyone do anything?

I entered the 24 hour TT national championships - I wasn't expecting to win, or even get a podium place.  Why did I bother?  To find out how far I could ride a bike in 24 hours and have a bit of an adventure along the way.

There are some real back-markers yes.  Some may have bitten off more than they can chew, some may have known it might take them 20 days to complete, 30 even.  But look at last year's results - everyone who did the ride through the checkpoints is listed:

http://reportage.transcontinental.cc/?page_id=2409

David Coulon took 34 days to ride the event.  I bet his personal adventure is just as interesting as those at the sharp end.
Right! What's next?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #191 on: 04 August, 2016, 04:33:15 pm »
I'd add that there are usually a few stragglers waaay off the back of PBP; a much smaller %age than on TCR, and rarely finishing in such extreme multiples of the winner's time.

But the scale is very different; TCR has a much higher "scratch" rate, and riding (say) a 600k is just a tiny window on riding 4000km. So more riders will be unprepared.

Plus the route of TCR is far more attractive than PBP if you are just out for a nice (long) ride. I _personally_ would not want to spend 8 days riding the PBP route, when I could ride somewhere much nicer for a week. But crossing the alps and Yugoslavia, with just a bivvy bag? That sounds fun!

So; they're the same ... but very different!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #192 on: 04 August, 2016, 05:21:57 pm »
First time I've watched TCR since the first one, how its grown, I'm finding it hard this side of the screen!

Great blog here - http://www.transcontinental.cc/blog   

« Reply #193 on: 04 August, 2016, 06:09:37 pm »
There is a rough leading break of about 25 riders now exited from the Dolomites and heading South. They have all done at least 1,600 km.

As a very rough guide I see that as riding 300km a day (6 days) with a 200km "get out of jail free" card to count against the steep mountain sections.

If they are still in good nick, as the terrain becomes more rolling and less grimpy they should probably start knocking out 300+ km days to stay in contention. Perhaps more towards the end when all-nighters will be ridden to jump up the leader board.
often lost.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #194 on: 04 August, 2016, 06:37:45 pm »
First time I've watched TCR since the first one, how its grown, I'm finding it hard this side of the screen!

Thanks.

You can see what a tough event this is: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56e03aab7da24fcf36e00d86/t/57a28268cd0f687001616bdd/1470268012247/?format=1500w
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #195 on: 04 August, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »
What surprises me at the sharp end is that only Kristof took the easy sleigh ride through the Sava valley while the others are scaling their way through the coastal mountains. The Knin area is at least as landmine infested as the northern bit, the part they're going to hit north of the Bosnian border is even more devastated (although the upper Una valley is superb cycling territory). I just hope that none of them chooses an empty  pockmarked building with graffiti as a place to bed down tonight....

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #196 on: 05 August, 2016, 08:51:19 am »

Thanks.

You can see what a tough event this is: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56e03aab7da24fcf36e00d86/t/57a28268cd0f687001616bdd/1470268012247/?format=1500w

Goodness knows what evil thoughts Mike is having for next year's parcours based on this test run!

I await next spring's discussion on which life jacket is lightest and most multi-functional.  I am already seeing that life jacket = mattress.
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #197 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:00:25 am »
So Ivan's tracking website has Kristof estimated to finish at 9:21 on Sunday morning.

That is just mind blowing.

His average route speed (so far) is 19kph - that's a solid speed for a mid-pack finisher on a 200km (10.5 hours).  But for nearly 4000km?!  Just amazing.

The star of the pointy end has to be James Hayden though - up into 6th place.  Of course, a huge case of 'what if?', but an incredible recovery and shows just how good he is.

Many entertaining characters on Twitter - Hippy and Darren Franks have been keeping me amused.
Right! What's next?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #198 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:32:20 am »
That is astonishing.
Getting there...

« Reply #199 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:37:28 am »
Out of interest, has Kristof ever raced against Mike Hall?