Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638256 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2575 on: 30 July, 2017, 12:37:52 am »
Old Moulton Speed nailed to the wall in a stupormarket:

20170729_164516 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #2576 on: 01 August, 2017, 11:16:36 am »
That's cool. Chainring not far off the size of the wheels and a tiny little sprocket.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2577 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:16:05 pm »
Cargo bike with electric assist, which you'd probably want if you had to ride it up the incredibly steep Marlborough Hill behind Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2578 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »
This Thanet was made in 1952 to take the present owner's father-in-law up Alps and safely down again.

1952 Thanet ds by Cudzoziemiec, on Flickr

1952 Thanet by Cudzoziemiec, on Flickr

That explains the gearing: double chainring with a tiny inner, two rear cogs and a three-speed hub. Unfortunately the original parallelogram linkage to chain between the two cogs has broken, hence the anachronistic Shimano mech.

The brakes have been uprated, I think. The set back seat post is obviously an alteration, as the current owner has much longer thighs, and for the same reason he had to lop the final inch or so off the bars! The Thanet bottom bracket design results in a very steep seat tube design: 74 degrees, I think he said. The rest of the unusual frame is basically marketing.

« Reply #2579 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »
Interesting & unusual because it looks like an un-updated classic.

A Raleigh, model unknown, but seller's label is F.W.Golding, 72-74 High Street, Milton Regis, Sittingbourne, Kent. It looks as if it was open a couple of years ago. No surviving tubing or other transfers apart from that shop label, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 531.

Obviously old Campagnolo gruppo: double chainring, 5 speed block, downtube shifters. Looked fully functional. Damn! I didn't check what the brakes were. Everything looked as if it could be original except the tyres & saddle.

Locked up at Cemetery Junction, Reading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2580 on: 25 August, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »
Spotted outside the Pump House in Bristol.

1939 Elswick. The Pumphouse Bristol. by Vince Hall, on Flickr

According to the man with the pint sitting next to it, it dates from 1939. Wheels are not original.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2581 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
A Lightning F-40 like unto this:

but less thoroughly yellow, doing a healthy clip westbound on US-36 in NW Kansas this morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2582 on: 13 September, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

This has been left unused, and unlocked at work for 3 months now.

I reported it to business protection, with the same lack of response as when a company vehicle nearly ran me off the road.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2583 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:20:38 pm »

This has been left unused, and unlocked at work for 3 months now.

I reported it to business protection, with the same lack of response as when a company vehicle nearly ran me off the road.

It would make a good fixed-wheel, though methinks someone has had to replace the forks.

« Reply #2584 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
A Brompton was tied up outside the church this afternoon.  Painted black, it had what looked rather like a fuel tank mounted on the frame-tube—I think it housed a battery—and a smallish electric motor underneath.  I didn't have time to examine the details of the drive system.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2585 on: 23 September, 2017, 01:45:43 pm »
Seems Greenway have made a special monster electric MTB for this delivery company:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2586 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:29:22 pm »
Orange Velomobile sporting smalltyreshop.com branding going round a roundabout in Repton on Wednesday.  First time I've spotted a velomobile in the wild.  I assume it came from Melbourne.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2587 on: 11 October, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »

It has a Rohloff Speed hub!

« Reply #2588 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:03:48 pm »
Isn't that Claire's bike? I reckon Grayson Perry can afford to put nice kit on it ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2589 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:08:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

It looks as if it has a remotely controlled (ie from a handlebar lever) centre stand too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2590 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:57:52 pm »

This is not a Dursley Pedersen, nor is it a Cheltenham Pedersen. It's a "Bristol Pedersen", built by the owner out of, well, tubes, by himself. Note modern chainset, derailleur, etc.

Seat not modern though...

« Reply #2591 on: 18 October, 2017, 11:26:38 am »
I overtook someone using a set of reversed moustache bars today. The rider had the least amount of knee room of any bike I've seen for a long time!

« Reply #2592 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »
Today I saw a sensibly dressed man riding a reasonable Trek hybrid with the forks on backwards  :o . How is it that he's not noticed that his bike looks different to every other bike in Oxford (and that the V brakes are on the back of his forks)?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2593 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:07:46 pm »
Today I saw a sensibly dressed man riding a reasonable Trek hybrid with the forks on backwards  :o . How is it that he's not noticed that his bike looks different to every other bike in Oxford (and that the V brakes are on the back of his forks)?

Most people don't know what a bicycle looks like.  They just see a bicycle.

« Reply #2594 on: 22 November, 2017, 01:27:03 pm »
On the way back from the shops yesterday, I spotted a Strida being folded up and loaded into the boot of a car. I'm guessing that the owner works somewhere in Pompey where parking is non-existent/expensive/requires a permit, so he's parking up in a residential street near me and doing the last mile or two a velo.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2595 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:24:55 am »
I didn't see it  but Dr Miss R did.  Can anyone identify what it is?

35838160822_ac6df17f11_o by Russell Wiles, on Flickr

Saw another one of these last night, it was black but the same.  The frame held the battery for a motor in the back wheel.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2596 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:52:40 pm »
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2597 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »
Half a dozen Gocycles belting towards Kingston high street at a rate of knots Wednesday evening. I'd not seen a multiple of them before.
https://gocycle.com
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2598 on: 01 December, 2017, 06:53:33 am »
Half a dozen Gocycles belting towards Kingston high street at a rate of knots Wednesday evening. I'd not seen a multiple of them before.
https://gocycle.com

They used to be built in a factory a few hundred yard from where I work.  :thumbsup:

I've not seen any particularly unusual bikes for a while, but spotted an unusual cyclist yesterday - A guy cycling in the Fenland-wind and light snow...

...wearing a KILT!  :o :o :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2599 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:20:34 pm »
A huge Gianni Motta.

Dura Ace parts, Mavic headset, Cosmic wheels, Columbus tubing,rear rack fixed to seatpin.

Although the rider didn't seem that tall. Seemed to be long in the legs though.