Author Topic: Mapsource update  (Read 11918 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Mapsource update
« Reply #50 on: 26 March, 2010, 10:04:56 am »
The latest version 6.16.n is stated to require Win XP SP3 or later.  That's me kicked off the upgrade path then.
6.16.0.3 beta
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #51 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:33:22 pm »
Been trying to upgrade recently to latest version (as it was yesterday 6.16.11 I think). It gets all the way through the actual download and then throws a 'communication error'. Anyone seen that before?

« Reply #52 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »
I upgraded last week to 6.15.11 for my nuvi 1490.  Took an age to download but now running fine on a desktop with Win7/32, a laptop with Win7/64 and a netbook with XP/SP3.   Just checked for updates and non available.  The Win7/32 runs in compatability mode while the Win7/64 just runs.  Not seen a 6.16.n for my unit.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #53 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:12:46 pm »
I upgraded last week to 6.15.11 for my nuvi 1490.  Took an age to download but now running fine on a desktop with Win7/32, a laptop with Win7/64 and a netbook with XP/SP3.   Just checked for updates and non available.  The Win7/32 runs in compatability mode while the Win7/64 just runs.  Not seen a 6.16.n for my unit.

Actually, yes, I meant 6.15.11. I;ve not seen 6.16.n either. I wonder if I should reinstall....

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #54 on: 26 March, 2010, 03:03:57 pm »
6.16 is currently just a beta version. It won't be available on the "Check for updates" in Mapsource until it is released properly.
But you can download it from Garmin's website and install it if you want.

Martin

« Reply #55 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »
I was riding with another Garmin owner on Saturday and couldn't help noting how much more snazzy his City Navigator (bought as an SD card) looked than my spidery version;

I downloaded the update for my pooter a while ago and it looks much better, is there a way of updating the display on an eTrex to look like the new ones?

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 24 July, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »
an obvious to some question but how do I actually use the Waypoint tool in MS?

I've just created another route using the Route Tool (for the Dun Run) as it would not import the one off Bikely, and it's got lots of little flags it calls waypoints. However when I transfer it to the device it greys out everything except Routes.

When I open the route on the device and get it to navigate it thinks about it for a long time; and eventually opens to show no waypoints; only via points. And first time I tried it it tried to take me straight to Dunwich via the A12 etc as it had no waypoints to force it on route.

If I use the waypoint tool on MS can I then easily create a route from it, either on the pc or the device?

« Reply #57 on: 24 July, 2010, 03:27:30 pm »
I use the waypoint tool a lot: just select your waypoints (and in properties then give them a number and useful label - must be numbered in order), then at the end, in the box on the left, select all waypoints then right -click to create route using these waypoints.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #58 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »
When I open the route on the device and get it to navigate it thinks about it for a long time...

I noticed that your eTrex seemd to take a long time to calculate routes. IIRC you have most of Europe loaded onto your card. Assuming youre not planning a euopean tour next week, might be worthwise disabling the maptiles outside the UK or even UK SE (see setup/maps I think). I'd have tried this myself whilst I had the eTrex but I forgot.

Creating a route with waypoints on the GPS really is hassle to far, ISTM. Forget about it.

Check out the route on the PC to make sure it has all the route/waypoints you expect. If you cannot see them on the PC they will not magically appear when you download the route to the GPS.

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »
on the Dun Run there were no blue flags shown on the device but it did keep popping up with the viapoints as I approached them but didn't call them anything other than the location; which was often slightly off route; is this a location thing? ie the gps is slightly out?

Manotea

« Reply #60 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »
on the Dun Run there were no blue flags shown on the device but it did keep popping up with the viapoints as I approached them but didn't call them anything other than the location; which was often slightly off route; is this a location thing? ie the gps is slightly out?

More likely the placement of the viapoints is slightly out. Easily done. Zooming into the viapoints placement on mapsource to check.

Martin

« Reply #61 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:02:01 pm »
another question; on bikely one can simply "jump over" bits of the route that aren't roads (eg cyclepaths / ferries over rivers etc) by unticking Auto Follow the Road whilst in mid air;

is there an easy way to do this using Route Tool on Mapsource? I found it impossible to get an accurate distance measurent of most of my Holland rides because of this

(I know it's possible because Manotea took us on the official cyclepath route for a perm; but he may just have put the waypoints on it and ignored the road route)

Manotea

« Reply #62 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »
I know it's possible because Manotea took us on the official cyclepath route for a perm; but he may just have put the waypoints on it and ignored the road route

Got it in one. I use differently coloured waypoint flags to mark the start/end of the off road section and additional flags not included in the route to show the way across no-bike-land and ignore the round the houses follow road route generated by the GPS. If you are following a track or using direct routing then you don't have to worry about this, of course. As usual, YPYPATYC.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #63 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »
another question; on bikely one can simply "jump over" bits of the route that aren't roads (eg cyclepaths / ferries over rivers etc) by unticking Auto Follow the Road whilst in mid air;

is there an easy way to do this using Route Tool on Mapsource? I found it impossible to get an accurate distance measurent of most of my Holland rides because of this
You can go to Edit menu -> Preferences -> Routing tab, and choose the "Use Direct Routes" option. Then draw in the off road part of the route. Then set it back to use Auto Routing, and draw the rest of the route.

You just have to make sure you don't recalculate the route later, because it will recalculate the whole thing, including the off-road sections. It may be easier to plot it as separate routes for the on and off road sections, and add up the distance manually.

Martin

« Reply #64 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »

You can go to Edit menu -> Preferences -> Routing tab, and choose the "Use Direct Routes" option. Then draw in the off road part of the route. Then set it back to use Auto Routing, and draw the rest of the route.

thanks  :) as always yacf is a lot more useful than Garmin's own manual

Manotea

« Reply #65 on: 27 July, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »
I never tried this as I assumed (...) the navigate/calculate route process on the GPS would overide the direct routing segment of the route, but apparently not!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #66 on: 28 July, 2010, 12:09:12 am »
I never tried this as I assumed (...) the navigate/calculate route process on the GPS would overide the direct routing segment of the route, but apparently not!
Yes, the GPS will always recalculate the whole route when you navigate it (if you have autorouting switched on), the Mapsource settings don't affect this.
But still, this Mapsource option is useful if you want to check route distances etc by plotting it on your PC beforehand.

Manotea

« Reply #67 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:14:27 am »
Yes, the GPS will always recalculate the whole route when you navigate it (if you have autorouting switched on), the Mapsource settings don't affect this.
But still, this Mapsource option is useful if you want to check route distances etc by plotting it on your PC beforehand.

I use WINGDB3 to generate a track and then edit the track to knock out the 'round the houses' trackpoints using Mapsource (track/properties), so the track goes directly between the two off route markers, then load both route and track to the eTrex. The track is static so unaffected by the follow road navigation on the GPS.  One could generate a more exact track following a complex off-road route - following cycle paths, whatever - using Fuaran's approach.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #68 on: 22 October, 2011, 12:42:17 am »
What is the latest mapsource for use with a garmin quest.