Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 390476 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #150 on: 22 October, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
On an exhausting excursion up and down (mainly up) the North & South Downs to Rye, we went past Biggin Hill today.

With all the TV programmes currently on, commemorating the 75th anniversary of the first flight of the Spitfire, it's nice to honour the other, supposed less glamorous, Battle of Britain stalwart, the Hurricane.  Despite the fact it shot down more enemy aircraft than the Spitfire, it seems to get overlooked, which is a shame.

These Gate Guardians are in fact replicas but it's still an outstanding icon.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #151 on: 23 October, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
There's been a Hurricane like that parked in the middle of York this week, alongside a Traction Avant, celebrating The French in York week.  We think it's a replica.  It certainly didn't fly in to where it was parked, unless they've developed one with VSTOL...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #152 on: 23 October, 2011, 11:44:39 am »
I can remember stopping there to look at the Spitfire and Hurricane on a bike ride about 45 years ago. They were real ones then and you could walk underneath them and reach up to touch them.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #153 on: 31 October, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »
No picture I'm afraid but I have just seen a largish airship over Canary Wharf sort of direction. Or at least I thought I did - I was running and wasn't wearing my specs. Anyone else?

There should be more of these imo, and bigger!

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #154 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/

Lotsa interstin' pics...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #155 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »
You utter bastard Juan. That's 10 minutes gone trawling through that lovely site, damn yer eyes Sir!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #156 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
Don't know if this has been on here before

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFjMl3FVrf0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SFjMl3FVrf0&rel=1</a>

Hawker Hunter across the Alps - look out for climbing the Matterhorn at about 2.45
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #157 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:41:25 pm »
Don't know if this has been on here before

<snipped very good video>

Hawker Hunter across the Alps - look out for climbing the Matterhorn at about 2.45

Blimey if anyone was in the Hornli hut or on the NE ridge they will have freaked!

I worked in the Val d'Anniviers in Switzerland as a ski bum ski host and the best weather forecast we could get was a pair of F-5 tigers playing silly beggars just as we had breakfast. We occasionally had some F-18 Hornets at Sion airbase too, the local spotters always gave us a clue before we ever saw one on approach,  seemed to always be a Wednesday (shopping day) which was good for us me.

« Reply #158 on: 25 November, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »
While we're posting photos, someone sent me a link to this site the other day, some great shots;

Lower than a Snake's Belly in a Wagon Rut

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #159 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »
Big thumb's up there Bombers. Good article!  :thumbsup:
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #160 on: 25 November, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »
Bomber

Thanks for an enjoyable 20mins, and I'm so glad the Spitfire Low Pass was included as iot saved me trying to find it!

« Reply #161 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »
I'd love this on the wall, amazing photo;

Glad they included a shot of ray hanna, but they should've included this one;

« Reply #162 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »
I'd love this on the wall, amazing photo;

:o 8) :o
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #163 on: 26 November, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »
Bomber

Thanks for an enjoyable 20mins, and I'm so glad the Spitfire Low Pass was included as iot saved me trying to find it!

"Warning: constant high levels of fuck-me"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #164 on: 28 November, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »
B52 stratofortress spied in the pub, photo taken to convince myself the morning after I hadn't imagined it;

Super-dooper bonus internet points if you can name the pub...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #165 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »
That's a pub??  Looks more like a plane spotters bedroom.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #166 on: 11 December, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »
Now then people

I have just found this thread so I have to add some pics of the sights I see from my workshop and the immediate vicinity. For those who dont know I live next door to RAF Coningsby.

The Red Arrows "Enid" formation over the workshop.

A Red Arrow !!!

Typhoon and Spitfire (PR19) display pair and a pigeon.

BBMF over the house.

Lancaster, very low   ;D

Vulcan departing after its emergency landing with a hydraulic problem. This was taken from the airfield boundary and was accompanied by the Vulcan "howl" as it passed overhead.

We get all manner of types here and as the house is about 600yds to the south of the runway we are right under the circuit which is always to the south for jets to keep the noise down over the village.
The past few years we have had the Typhoon display aircraft working up his display mainly south of the runway ;D ;D :thumbsup: Starts off at about 1000ft and by the time he has it sorted he is down to 200ft. A Typhoon going vertical with full burners immediately above your head is a sight to behold ;D A couple of years ago we had an F15 doing a PD, he came in very fast and broke left short of the runway end and came over the workshop at about 150ft in a max rate turn ie wings vertical, I am sure it moved the worshop on its foundations. Good job I am into aeroplanes !!!

Cheers

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

fuzzy

« Reply #167 on: 12 December, 2011, 10:00:00 am »
Ya lucky bugger :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #168 on: 12 December, 2011, 10:41:16 am »

Speak up, he can't hear you over the sound of the jets.. :)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuzzy

« Reply #169 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:14:16 am »

Bicycle Repair Man,

I said YA LUCKY BUGGER! :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #170 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:21:18 am »
Some nice photos there, Dave. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #171 on: 12 December, 2011, 12:19:30 pm »
The sound of the BBMF flypast must've been one to set the hairs on your arms standing - and one of which I have noise envy.

« Reply #172 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:08:58 pm »

Bicycle Repair Man,

I said YA LUCKY BUGGER! :thumbsup:

PARDON? cant hear you for the Merlins

spindrift

« Reply #174 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »
The sound of the BBMF flypast must've been one to set the hairs on your arms standing - and one of which I have noise envy.

It always does, every time. The fighter display that they practice a lot usually starts to the east of the workshop with a fast shallow dive towards the notional crowd line ie the runway. They then do a left turn and into a climbing barrel roll which comes right over the top of me. It never fails to send a tingle up my spine  ;D. The Lanc also passes right over on his practice displays at least once with the bomb doors open, similar result. I have more pics if anyone is interested and have just aquired a 120/400 lens for the camera so next year, hopefully, watch this space.

Cheers

Dave Yates