Author Topic: Bishop takes up long distance cycling  (Read 2170 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Bishop takes up long distance cycling
« on: 05 March, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bishop takes up long distance cycling
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »
Good on the bish. He's even a CTC member.*

Not entirely related, but some time ago I popped into the church in Hullavington (also in Wilts) for architectural/historical/oh-let's-have-a-look-at-that, rather than religious, reasons, and bumped into the vicar. It's surprising how rarely you see a vicar in a church. He told me he'd recently done a ride for some charity with other church bods (various denominations) in which they visited 30 local churches in 40 miles. Quite a few cycling vicars, it seems.

*Come to think of it, if the Tories are the C of E in politics, are the CTC not the C of E on a bike? All those tea stops and a nice steady pace.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »
There are some challenging trips in that schedule.  Good luck to him. :)
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:21:10 pm »
He has to average 47 miles a day.
It is simpler than it looks.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:31:15 pm »
Not a bad idea though.

For a couple of reasons I can't give up driving, but I could commit to spending some time on the bike every day during lent.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »
A vicar on a bicycle is *the* quintessential English cycling image, and the number one reason why helmets must never be mandatory.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:55:22 pm »
He has to average 47 miles a day.

In a cassock? A mitre? Any other regalia/badges of office?

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »
*Come to think of it, if the Tories are the C of E in politics, are the CTC not the C of E on a bike? All those tea stops and a nice steady pace.

Can't be, too many CTC rides are on Sunday mornings, therefore the intersection of CTC membership and CofE must be like me the CTC members who do not partake in the rides.  :(

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2014, 04:46:12 pm »
He told me he'd recently done a ride for some charity with other church bods (various denominations) in which they visited 30 local churches in 40 miles. Quite a few cycling vicars, it seems.
This is the sponsored Ride And Stride (you can walk as well as cycle) which is some time in September every year all over the country. I did it a couple of years ago and visited 25 churches in the day, many of which were giving away food and cake and tea and coffee (yum!)

I visited a 26th when I got home (I live in a chapel) but couldn't count that one as it's no longer a place of public religious worship.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »

Can't be, too many CTC rides are on Sunday mornings, therefore the intersection of CTC membership and CofE must be like me the CTC members who do not partake in the rides.  :(
None on Saturdays round your way? Or even Wednesday evenings (other evenings are available)?
Come to that, does the C of E not do Saturday evening services?

Ruth

« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2014, 06:52:42 pm »

None on Saturdays round your way? Or even Wednesday evenings (other evenings are available)?

C of E rarely does Saturday evening services.  This is a real issue for us stuffy Anglicans!

The new Bishop of Chichester did our big ride with us one year, back when he was Bishop of Whitby.  He was a bloody good climber.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2014, 06:54:37 pm »
That's a bishop that doesn't deserve bashing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:42:06 am »

C of E rarely does Saturday evening services.  This is a real issue for us stuffy Anglicans!

The new Bishop of Chichester did our big ride with us one year, back when he was Bishop of Whitby.  He was a bloody good climber.
From your link:
During his time in Norfolk he was also priest in charge of Hempton and Pudding Norton between 1998-2000.
If there's anything more English than a bishop on a bike, it's got to be the vicar of Pudding Norton. On a bike! It sounds like a place invented by P.G. Wodehouse.  :D

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:01:44 pm »
If there's anything more English than a bishop on a bike, it's got to be the vicar of Pudding Norton.

Or the rector of Edgefield

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:06:13 pm »
Both in Norfolk. A holiday in the Broads appeals now.

« Reply #15 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »

No there are no Saturday CTC rides round my way and Saturday evening Mass is a Catholic method of observing Mass without interfeering with Sundays.  :(
Yes Reading CTC have a Wednesday Evening ride but I would have to attend straight from work without eating first and that feels like a recipe for Bonk.  :-[

« Reply #16 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »
It's wrong to report that he's taken up long-distance cycling as if it was news; he's been doing long rides for years.  But perhaps not since donning his mitre.  He preached an excellent sermon on a cycling theme shortly before he left Canterbury.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 06 March, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »

No there are no Saturday CTC rides round my way and Saturday evening Mass is a Catholic method of observing Mass without interfeering with Sundays.  :(
Yes Reading CTC have a Wednesday Evening ride but I would have to attend straight from work without eating first and that feels like a recipe for Bonk.  :-[
Well the solutions for Wednesdays are simple:
a) Find a reason to leave work early
b) If no reason accepted, slip off while your boss isn't looking
c) Take some food in a saddlebag
d) Persuade the ride to stop for a pub meal, early
e) Isn't Bledlow otp a regular on these rides? In which case, he'll lead the rides past your door, slowing down for you to catch up!

Admittedly the weekly combination of a/b and d might result in bankruptcy, but apart from that, no problem!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2014, 07:52:44 am »

No there are no Saturday CTC rides round my way and Saturday evening Mass is a Catholic method of observing Mass without interfeering with Sundays:(

Saturday evening mass (the Vigil Mass) actually reflects the fact that the Church day runs from sunset to sunset (as does the Jewish religious day).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2014, 11:38:45 am »
Nice work!
I reckon he might be praying for a good tailwind!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2014, 11:42:45 am »
Really enjoying his blog so far.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »
He had to borrow a cut-down staff!

The Big Girl's Blouse! You wouldn't find us cycling chess teachers cutting down on the dimensions of our demonstration boards.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.