Author Topic: 1" fork with 1 1/8" frame (integrated/hidden headset)  (Read 3935 times)

1" fork with 1 1/8" frame (integrated/hidden headset)
« on: 22 September, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
I picked up a Ribble Audax frame  to replace the worn out DHC.
Having disassembled the old frame, I now realise that it has a 1" fork steerer.
Is there some way of using this fork with the Ribble frame which has a 1 1/8" integrated/hidden headset?
I have seen shims that allow a 1" headset to be fitted into a 1 1/8" frame, but that isn't an option here...

Thanks,
 -- Josh

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 1" fork with 1 1/8" frame (integrated/hidden headset)
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2012, 04:09:58 pm »
I suspect you're stuffed there, unless you get the head tube machined flat and reamed to take normal cups.  This may or may not be possible depending on how the top and down tubes join it, and will certainly invalidate any warranty.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »
Do some more research than the cursory Google got me and these will come out cheaper . . .

Headset Reducer Shims

Please note these are for traditional headtubes NOT integrated or semi-integrated.

I am A. Dickhead and should read the thread title.

Just buy the right forks. New, carbon forks can be had for very little nowadays.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2012, 05:06:32 pm »
Think you are right, the integrated headset messes this up.
I am wondering if I could turn a couple of interference fitted/bonded shim rings for the steerer.
Not sure what that would do to the crown race mounting.

-- Josh

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2012, 05:48:34 pm »
Essentially you need to turn a crown race the right outside diameter and taper for the bearing and the correct inside diameter to fit your fork (27mm?). Or a 3mm spacer and use a standard 30mm crown race.

Likewise the upper race needs to be 25.4 in the centre with the correct taper for the split wedge ring and the correct outer diameter for the bearing.

Being such a safety critical part my inclination would be to get the right fork. I recently bought a used Carrera with a Kinesis alloy fork. The corrosion around the top of the fork convinced me that re-using it would be like playing Russian roulette with five FULL chambers. YMMV and you might be on very good terms with a maxillofacial surgeon . . .

UK supplied

From Hong Kong direct

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2012, 09:44:26 am »
1 inch steerer forks are relatively rare and sought after.  I think you'd be better off selling it and buying the equivalent fork in 1 1/8th inch.
The fork / frame interface is one place I like to have the utmost confidence in on a bike! :)