Author Topic: Fred Whitton challenge 2014  (Read 2649 times)

Fred Whitton challenge 2014
« on: 04 January, 2014, 04:11:54 pm »
I registered this morning (hopefully) for this iconic ride and for the first time it is using online (via Paypal) entry even though it is still a lottery to decide the 2000 riders. However a couple of hours after getting my acknowledgment email from Paypal I received another purporting to be from exactly the same email address "service@paypal.co.uk" saying that my account had been suspended and to use a 'click-through' to verify my account and get it re-instated. As this is standard 'phishing' tactics I did nothing of the kind but reported it via the online security service on the Paypal UK website/ I have also reported it direct to Paul Loftus of FWC fame as the whole of the FWC website appears down with only an "error database connection" showing.  >:( >:(

So beware it looks like there are some scammers out to target the big sportives. 

Don't use any click-throughs  :hand: and report any odd/unusual email traffic direct to those being scammed.

Re: Fred Whitton challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2014, 02:30:00 pm »
I received my confirmation letter (it's like an email on paper)  the other day. Luckily no scams surfaced via email.
My only concern is using the BCM (first time) as a warm-up for the FWC had not, originally, been on my plan.
After all, since doing the FWC in 2010, I've not had a sniff of an entry.
Application of "rule 5" is in order, methinks !!
Alistair (pieeater) Dulwich Paragon

Re: Fred Whitton challenge 2014
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:42:14 pm »
I have just found the acceptance email in my spam folder that I have been accepted to do the Fred Whitton Challenge 2016. Having done Hardknott and Wrynose last year.... I think I'll be walking the last switch back of Hardknott!  :o

Who else doing it this year?