Author Topic: New September Audaxes from Hertfordshire  (Read 5362 times)

Re: New September Audaxes from Hertfordshire
« Reply #25 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:06:28 pm »
Not in my inbox either, and I have received previous emails from Herts Audax.

« Reply #26 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
Mine has just arrived, but more than an hour after Thing1 got his.
California Dreaming

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:25:54 am »
The attachments add up to 2Mb mostly the PDF files are bloated out of office. I will load up to Dropbox to orrow and email out a link. If still no email by tomorrow night let me know.

« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:03:45 am »
Thanks - NB to unbloat PDFs, try Googling shrink PDF. Lots of sites - I generally use this one.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:16:16 am »
Yeah Windows 10 print to PDF doesn't half bloat the files up.  I have now resent the emails with the zip files now in a Dropbox link. hopefully they will all come through fine for everyone.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:48:04 am »
This is an important update for entrants to the Four Minute Mile 200 and Hertfordshire Greenways 100 events on Saturday 22nd September.

Costello’s café at the Start in Fairland’s Valley Park will now be opening early for us at 6:45am / 7:00am on Sat 22nd Sept.  This means that there will be breakfast and toilet facilities at the start.

They will definitely be opening at 7.00am and I am trying to see if they will they will open a little earlier at 6:45am to give the 200 riders a bit more time to have breakfasts.

Head down left from the main car down the access road (and speed bumps) and the café is on the left past a small car park (do not park there).   I will be in the café to hand out your cards, and we will now start you off from the small car park down by the café.  There is plenty of space by the café to bring your bikes down whilst you have breakfast / sign on.

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:56:34 pm »
Now confirmed as 6:45am opening

« Reply #32 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:55:15 pm »
I am a bit confused about all the different finishes. There's a pub finish mentioned, and there's a GPX provided to a cafe from the start, but the 100 appears to finish back at Fairlands, where it starts. I'm a local of course, but that's not really helping. I know Costello's, but that's at Fairlands, obviously.

No doubt all will be revealed :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:43:19 am »
The alternate cafe was when Costello's originally had said they wouldn't be able able to open.  Just come down to the start Costello's in Fairland's valley.  I will send out an email to avoid any doubt. 

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:41:29 am »
I very hurriedly converted the gpx to a Garmin route this morning and it's determined not to take me along many parts presumably as they are not roads,

Could someone fill me in on which off road tracks it uses? I know about the St Albans - Hatfield section;

looks like it also goes along the Chinnor preserved railway!

Phil W

« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:45:25 am »
I very hurriedly converted the gpx to a Garmin route this morning and it's determined not to take me along many parts presumably as they are not roads,

Could someone fill me in on which off road tracks it uses? I know about the St Albans - Hatfield section;

In Order

1. Stevenage Cycleways
2. Some cycle tracks coming into Oxford after Horspath
3. Phoenix Greenway (Thame)
4. Alban Way (St Albans)

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:48:37 am »

In Order

1. Stevenage Cycleways
2. Some cycle tracks coming into Oxford after Horspath
3. Phoenix Greenway (Thame)
4. Alban Way (St Albans)

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #37 on: 22 September, 2018, 11:23:47 am »
Riders all away.

A high DNS rate for the 200 but near full turnout for the 100.  I guess the winds yesterday and forecast tomorrow put many off.  Light drizzle now falling but becalmed wind wise.

« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2018, 12:26:01 pm »
A bit more than drizzle in Bovington. But at least the rain is heading in the opposite direction now.

« Reply #39 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:43:21 pm »
Then it changed it mind and followed us all the way back to the Chequers.

« Reply #40 on: 22 September, 2018, 07:41:21 pm »
The Greenways 100 is a fantastic route, even with the intermittent drizzle we had to contend with today.  This is destined to be a classic.  Thoroughly enjoyable.

« Reply #41 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:27:24 pm »
I can imagine flicking though a lifestyle magazine in five years time where they list the top 10 audax rides and the Greenways 100 is in it.

Great route and superb organisation by Phil and his support crew.  Thanks you for an awesome day out.  I’ll definitely be back for this one again.

« Reply #42 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:47:22 pm »
With the right marketing you could sell the Greenways 100 route to the gravel bike crew as totally gnarly and hardcore. I of course did it on a 1981 Bickerton Portable with a 14 inch front wheel and brakes that essentially don't work at all in the rain.

I also did a detour early on to do the Westmill Parkrun, which cost a good 45 minutes, which meant I barely saw anyone the rest of the ride.

Anyway, excellent route. Thanks Phil!

« Reply #43 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:22:23 am »
That was different! I'd ridden many of the railway paths before, though not the Hertford to Welwyn one. And Welwyn to St Albans has been upgraded a lot recently. I enjoyed the renovated stations.

Just after we turned onto the line at Hertford, something snagged in my front mudguard, which folded up under the crown and brought me to a juddering halt. I rode the rest of the way with only half a mudguard, and finished looking like I'd been on a mountain bike.

Another bit I hadn't done before was the climb on the Nicky Line out of Hemel. No wonder they needed two engines on that!

« Reply #44 on: 23 September, 2018, 11:31:57 am »
Easily the most exciting and fun Audax 100km I have ever done. I agree with the other posts that it truly deserves to become a Classic. Looking at the profile when I got home it really was quite hard to spot the flat bits! So much railway history too as long disused platforms appeared as if by magic. Thank you Phil and team for a great day out. A ride to be savoured and not rushed.
RRtY, SR, LEL 2013, retired 2014, tempted back by PBP!

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:40:52 pm »
Thanks for the great comments all.

I have now provionally put them in the Audax UK calendar for Sat 15th June 2019. I have also submitted the 200 for perm status.

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 23 September, 2018, 06:01:58 pm »
Rode the 200; it started well and was a real joy to ride through Woburn Abbey with the deer; we knew rain was coming it was just a question of when. And the wind turned at the half way point!

Very challenging hills over the Chilterns but the flat off road section from St Albans to Welwyn was a real joy definitely helped by the friendly confident green line on the gps. Full value ride for me partly due to helping two young chaps back on their first 200

Thanks Phil and helpers, yes this would make a good year round perm with the right weather

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #47 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »
Full value ride for me, my first brevet since the Catholic Education. I too was riding with Martin. :)

Bit damp later on but shoe covers and my endura adrenaline did their job and short fingand mitts prevailed. Great to be out and about again.