Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2488843 times)

spindrift

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #15950 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »
serves me right for being such an asshole.

there we go.

« Reply #15951 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »
The I say I know a way. And lift my bike onto her bonnet and intended to roll it over the roof of the car.

...   ???

Agreed with the  ??? as wheeling the bike over the car is always going to increase the anger.

However the drive should read the Highway code rule 155:
Single-track roads
These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right

Give way to road users coming up hill whenever you can. If necessary reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other road user pass.

Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

my bold.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15952 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:26:37 pm »
I think that, outside of particularly mountainous areas, the convention of giving way to road users coming uphill has mostly evaporated from the public psyche.  Probably because even the most gutless of motor vehicles can get moving on pretty much any hill these days.

« Reply #15953 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
That's as maybe, but there has to be a simply understood rule for one party to give way, otherwise standoffs result. But they do anyway (obv) but at least there is a 'moral' right here (if 'moral' is the right term).
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15954 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »
That's as maybe, but there has to be a simply understood rule for one party to give way

"Biggest, most expensive, vehicle has priority." isn't it?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15955 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:44:16 pm »
There's a lot of, erm, I'll just say people, shall I? that absolutely refuse to reverse on lanes where we live, saying that they "can't".   That's "can't", as in no good at it.  This does my head in.  Especially when they’ve just driven past a pull-in and not bothered to stop there when they first saw me coming.  God knows what they do when confronted with large agricultural machinery or low loaders with JCBs on the back.  (Something that happens fairly regularly)

ETA.  This refers to when I'm driving.

The locals are pretty reasonable about bikes, although there are some think think the accepted practice is for me to ride staight into the hedge.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15956 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »
That's as maybe, but there has to be a simply understood rule for one party to give way

"Biggest, most expensive, vehicle has priority." isn't it?

"The 4x4 must not leave the road"

« Reply #15957 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »
I was walking along Marylebone Road this morning, (as my Brompton's seat tube collar has disintegrated,  so I couldn't ride  :( ).

I witnessed a supper skinny road head down, with a nice smooth cadence, blasting down the road making very good progress.

I was most amused to see a pinstripe suited, brogue wearing brompton rider sitting *right* on said roadie's back wheel getting a tow, in a very regal manner!  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #15958 on: 11 September, 2014, 03:20:14 pm »
There's a lot of, erm, I'll just say people, shall I? that absolutely refuse to reverse on lanes where we live, saying that they "can't".   That's "can't", as in no good at it. 

Our neighbour always comes up our lane and turns left into her drive. Their drive is wide enough for three cars, and one day I was parked across about half of it, washing mine. (The lane is just wide enough fro two cars, and our cottage fronts directly onto it, our parking being on a filled in ditch opposite which gets v muddy if wet, hence my using the road. And her husband has no problem with me occasionally parking across it, or even using it to change wheels.). She stops alongside my car so the lane is completely blocked, and looks at me and spreads her hands. This is to indicate that it's now too difficult for her to turn into her parking place on her accustomed line, and of course completely impossible to go past, do a three point turn, and come at the space from the other direction, or indeed go past and reverse in.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #15959 on: 11 September, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »
There's a lot of, erm, I'll just say people, shall I? that absolutely refuse to reverse on lanes where we live, saying that they "can't".   That's "can't", as in no good at it.  This does my head in.  Especially when they’ve just driven past a pull-in and not bothered to stop there when they first saw me coming.  God knows what they do when confronted with large agricultural machinery or low loaders with JCBs on the back.  (Something that happens fairly regularly)

ETA.  This refers to when I'm driving.

The locals are pretty reasonable about bikes, although there are some think think the accepted practice is for me to ride staight into the hedge.

This reminds me of a trip to Wales, before the rules with towing and minibuses got terribly terribly complicated and even then they were a bit of a mess.  the scene is set with a 22 year old me driving a minibus towing a twin axle trailer (yes I know, MAM weights, towing rules, etc but the guidance I had at the time was it was ok). I am climbing a slight incline and on a single track road towards a campsite. Approaching and passing a passing place was another minibus.

There we both stopped, I waited for him to reverse the 50m to the passing place, instead he laid on his horn like you wouldn't believe. I got out to see what the problem was, apparently I was to reverse, I pointed out the massive trailer, again I was to reverse, I indicated that it wasn't going to happen, and his bus would actually fit in the passing space.

Turns out he couldn't reverse the bus and for practical reasons had to do it for him, seriously if you can't drive the thing don't take it out. Before I could use any of the minibuses I borrowed I had to do half a day reversing round corners and manoeuvring to make sure I could handle the thing.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Si_Co

« Reply #15960 on: 11 September, 2014, 04:10:03 pm »
I have a large twin axle motorhome which I can reverse, a consequence of learning to drive on a farm with 40ft trailers, but I'm awkward.

These sorts of impasses usually resolve themselves when you get out to switch on the gas and put the kettle on.

« Reply #15961 on: 12 September, 2014, 08:28:45 am »
Me!!

Am cat sitting again, it doubles as a trial for the new commute once the house purchase goes through.

10.5km, 7 sets of lights (5 ped crossings, 1 junction, 1LC) and either flowing traffic on wide roads or little traffic on narrow roads. All good.

Si_Co

« Reply #15962 on: 12 September, 2014, 08:45:58 am »
Is it national close pass a cyclist day?  ::-)

« Reply #15963 on: 12 September, 2014, 10:04:42 am »
Obviously only in the north, I had no problems in the home counties today.  :P

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #15964 on: 12 September, 2014, 10:58:31 am »
I have a large twin axle motorhome which I can reverse, a consequence of learning to drive on a farm with 40ft trailers, but I'm awkward.

These sorts of impasses usually resolve themselves when you get out to switch on the gas and put the kettle on.

I have probably told this before, but...

My Very Big Mate and another mate are out in the Official Landy complete with two-axle trailer carrying the RHIB (boat) going along a passing-place lane when they come head-on against a Jag which has just driven past a passing place. Jag driver sticks head out of window after obligatory horn fanfare.

"Back up, sonny!"

So MVBM gets out of Landy and commences standing up. As he reaches full extension, and walks over to explain how much easier it would be for the Jag to back up a few yards, the driver locks his door and avoids all eye contact. It was my other mate who told me the punchline.

MVBM says "About lunch time, innit?"

And so they eat their lunch, drinking from their thermos of tea, for about twenty minutes sat on the bonnet of the County, secure in the virtue of actually being paid to be there. The Jag driver eventually backed up when they got out the pack of cards and began to shuffle...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #15965 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
Very good.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15966 on: 12 September, 2014, 06:51:04 pm »
Today seemed to be the day to overtake cyclists and then stop.

Three notable instances of twattery.

1) Almost a left hook by a 38 tonne lorry. 30 limit, slight downhill, I'm doing 20 mph, lorry overtakes, only gets 5 m clear of me and slows right down to turn left.

2) PK60EPL, white van, obv, overtakes on the right of a keep left sign. I catch up 10 seconds later at the lights.

3) 20 mph limit outside a school, woman driving, child in school uniform overtakes me with a big speed margin when I am doing 19 mph.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

fuzzy

« Reply #15967 on: 12 September, 2014, 10:55:34 pm »
snip....Turns out he couldn't reverse the bus and for practical reasons had to do it for him, seriously if you can't drive the thing don't take it out.
D.

Previous professional experience indicates plenty of folk who shouldn't be allowed a walking licence let alone a driving licence frequent our highways.....

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #15968 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »

Another full house...

Being passed (and pushed into the pothole-and-gravel-fest on that side of the B1228) at speed by HGVs on the stokerless tandem wasn't much fun.  Got there, got back, and it wasn't as horrifically slow as I'd feared.  That'll do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15969 on: 13 September, 2014, 12:04:54 am »
I reckon you need a foldaway skellington stoker.  Bound to get you loads of room on the road, and just the thing for Whitby.

« Reply #15970 on: 15 September, 2014, 12:17:53 pm »
CTF, I have to say that if someone did that with my daughter I'd probably go all DadRage as well.

I used to live on a single-lane road. Person closest to passing place reverse, locals who are used to the road don't slow down much and drive half into the ditch. They put up with the scratches to their cars, part of the consequence of living in a rural location.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15971 on: 16 September, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »
Still dry and mild.  Must be a good 2 weeks solid of good weather. Cant think of a longer period all year so far.

« Reply #15972 on: 16 September, 2014, 03:58:32 pm »
Yes, very nice! I need a thin base layer for the Severn crossing, and I forget that the footpath tends to get wet when all around is dry, but apart from that it was a lovely ride in. I'm starting to get cars keeping their main beams on when driving past me though, which is a bit off-putting but at least I see the ones on my side getting closer.

« Reply #15973 on: 17 September, 2014, 08:38:38 am »
Yesterday evening I could have done with taking my jacket off, but yesterday morning in the fog it was definitely required.

This morning something had fouled up either the Showcase roundabout or the Robinhood Lane lights in Winnersh as the queue was back to the Wosehill roundabout. As there is a cycle lane on that stretch passing traffic was an easy pleasure.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15974 on: 17 September, 2014, 10:41:30 am »
The I say I know a way. And lift my bike onto her bonnet and intended to roll it over the roof of the car.

...   ???

Agreed with the  ??? as wheeling the bike over the car is always going to increase the anger.

Give way to road users coming up hill whenever you can. If necessary reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other road user pass.

Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

Obviously, the answer is for the cyclist to reverse back down the hill. Carefully. Slowly. I would have done that rather than try to ride over the car.