Author Topic: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday, 5th June 2016  (Read 5096 times)

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday, 5th June 2016
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
The first time for me on this event, and with such a large field, I thought it would be more like a Sportive, but I was wrong.  "Barleys and Beards" were few and far between but the friendliness and such brilliant helpers at each and every control were, well, brilliant although I suspect some were pushed to their limits in trying to cater for so many riders, especially at Upper Beeding which had to be seen to be believed!

For someone that doesn't do hills, I didnt think it was too hilly, that was until I came to Coombe Lane and going thru' a bad patch at the time.  I had to get off and walk the last bit and never really recovered, although I may have been a bit dehydrated and not used to such heat.

A truly brilliant event though.  A huge thank you and well done to all the helpers and to everyone else involved in putting this event on.

« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:52:43 am »
There was a Wiggle sportive overlapping some of the route before the last control.  I was riding along on my own and got passed by five or six riders.  So I jumped on their wheel and rode with them for 5 or 6 miles, almost to the control.  It was a pleasant change of tempo and gave me a bit of lift at a quiet point.

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:59:46 am »
I wish I'd taken a photo of the stack of bacon and egg rolls - it was very impressive.

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2016, 12:50:13 pm »
I shall long remember Sunday 5th June.  Thanks a million to all