Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3890309 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22475 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:25:29 pm »
95km with my local cycling club this morning (extended Sunday morning 10am ride). Quick lunch at home, then out for another 60km! 155km, 6 hours 25 minutes moving time, 8 hours 27 total time. So almost 2 hours of breaks. Mind you this includes ~15 minutes waiting at the meeting point for the club ride to start, plus about half an hour at the cafe with the club.

So hopefully this means I won't be too slow for the 200km Audax I'm doing next month!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #22476 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:43:50 pm »
It was lovely riding in to town early this morning.  Shame it was a commute.

Came home via Q1 and Thames path before crossing at Woolwich.  Both legs were lovely.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #22477 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:47:34 pm »
Off road ride around Epping Forest in a group of six, only 16 miles but I needed the exercise. Luckily the rain on Friday had mostly soaked away, so no problem with my Bridgestone Moulton.

Tasty Thai lunch in the Robin Hood pub.

« Reply #22478 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:32:43 pm »
Six hours of riding today, taking in a diversion down a farm track, a forest path that i've been meaning to ride for ages and is lovely, gentle hills, lanes that are verging on green-lane, and then across the Pevensey Levels between Herstmonceux and Hailsham. I love the big open space there, a bit of Cookoo trail to get me through Hailsham then on to familiar lanes home - and a little hill at the end to make up for flatness. A good day out.

« Reply #22479 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:38:49 pm »
A beautiful 100km loop from home round Stirling. The weather was close to my perfect cycling weather, sunny with a hint of spring/autumn coolness. Saw loads of old classic cars going into the Bridge of Allan car show, some very nice looking machines from just about every manufacturer.  Sat outside Rhubarb Lime caff with my coffee.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22480 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:05:42 am »
Twenty-odd miles of COR with barely a mile of tarmac in the middle. Joined the K&A south of Bath and instead of taking to the road as usual, continued through Sydney Gardens and on. Discovered that it is possible to follow the canal to the point where it joins the Avon, as long as you don't mind carrying your bike up some steps, and (re)discovered some industrial archaeology bits I haven't seen since the early 90s. It was all a bit jungly back then, now it's manicured and has ice cream huts. Then along the riverside, proper COR now. Easy as far as Saltford boathouse, then the gates started, and more steps. Used a short section of Railway Path where the riverside trail peters out (looking at the map I see this also cut out a sewage farm) then back to the track. And more kissing gates. The other side of Keynsham I met the first cyclist, a mountain biker who admired my Surly. I admired his Anything Cages fixed with zip ties and a couple of rolls of electrical tape to the suspension forks. He informed there were "several" more gates and he was right. Fortunately it opens up once you get into Hanham – although there are horses standing in the middle of the path, grazing, and they wouldn't budge! The walkers and dog people were more compliant and no unfavourable reactions at all. One dog chased me but as its legs were about two inches long, it was never going to catch anyone other than an unsteady toddler.

I left the path at Netham Lock but you should be able to stay waterside all the way to Pill. I'd say this makes a fun but slow route as long as you're willing and able to lift your bike over numerous gates. Fat tyres not needed but not suitable for tourers! This was tacked on the end of a 60-mile road ride, so had a good day out in the sun. No cake, but did have an ice cream.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22481 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:38:08 pm »
45km round the sunny Durham Dales this morning, including Burnhope reservoir.
Had to break up a fight between two peacocks before I could get past them near Westernhopeburn.

Day somewhat spoilt by the traffic lights at roadworks at Ireshopeburn being on too short a time for a cyclist to get through, resulting in a stream of annoyed motorists.  AGAIN.
But this time I caught a man from the road traffic management firm. 
Let's just say that he is now well aware of the problem....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22482 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:13:34 pm »
Coffee/Ice-cream run with El Prez not so much cut short as caught short.  As I arrived at our RV point my guts waxed insistent (c.f. this), and as I stood waiting with bated butt El Prez rolled up and confided that he was in the same condition. We thereupon repaired to his fortunately nearby abode, took care of the matter, had a couple of espressi then said bugrit it's damned windy, let's forget it. And did.  A princely 23 km for me and about 300 metres for him.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22483 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:16:36 pm »
Took the MTB and rode around the trail over the road from work.  Got round with no dabs.  Then broke the chain 100 yards from home.  Stupid Shimano pins.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22484 on: 15 May, 2019, 12:32:11 am »
Jan and I rode the tandem to our choir practice, much to the amusement of other choristers. Badger OTP is also a member of the Southend Bach Choir.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22485 on: 15 May, 2019, 03:40:05 pm »
Six retired persons on a roundabout route to A1 foods in Bedford which now does all day breakfasts with a definite Italian flair. One or two of our members succumbed to the wiles of the Montepulciano fairy and came back with saddle bags clinking. Lovely ride. Noticed my favourite YACF jersey is starting to show its age, ho hum.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Chris S

« Reply #22486 on: 15 May, 2019, 05:56:28 pm »
Yes! Holy fuck - wonders will never cease, YES!

The van was being MOT'd, so I took the CX with me, and did a loop through Guisborough woods while they were working out how much to charge me. Only needed to walk one ramp, the 25%er up from Belmont Mine toward the Nab.

Then it turned out my van couldn't be MOT'd at Kwik Fit Guisborough because it wouldn't fit on their brand new shiny lift (Call us "Kwik won't Fit" from now on), so I got a bonus trip to Redcar, and a 15km up and down the prom/scrape, looking at the sea and marvelling at the tattooed men in wife blessers, and their orange women eating their  lemon-tops and bellowing at their childers while their dogs shat on the prom. Redcar - like Yarmouth, but shitter.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22487 on: 15 May, 2019, 08:24:41 pm »
I was going to go for a ride after work but my usual wingman has pulled a muscle sprinting (on foot, the fool) and no-one else showed up so I went home the long way and fixed his fixie, which had a snakebite puncture on the rear wheel.  Hopefully he now knows how to tension a chain.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22488 on: 18 May, 2019, 08:47:00 am »
Yesterday,  140k solo flattie (well, about 800m) via tow-paths, coffee holes, fields and forests. Warm sunshine and an obliging breeze at my back or on the beam all day.  Three halts for dubious coffee and comestibles of the you-really-shouldn't-eat-that variety. Only fly in the ointment was flies, hordes of almost invisible wee buggers everywhere, like riding into a cloud of hovering sand.  Aye well, country life etc.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22489 on: 18 May, 2019, 05:36:27 pm »
Continuing on the theme of taking Mrs. F out on some hillier rides, we did Ballater - Tomintoul - Ballater today.
An 80k route which takes in both the Lecht and BH1 in both directions.
In the rain.

It's like a smaller version of the Wildcat Grimpeur.
Perhaps it could be named the WildKitten?

https://www.strava.com/activities/2377534889

« Reply #22490 on: 18 May, 2019, 09:00:56 pm »
I managed to fit 75km between lunch and supper, heading to Sharpthorne and back. It was a bit hillier than average, picking up Martin’s AAA Milne route in several places, deliberately so as I’m off to Scotland next week. It felt good.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22491 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:12:40 am »
Continuing on the theme of taking Mrs. F out on some hillier rides, we did Ballater - Tomintoul - Ballater today.

I have sort-of fond memories of doing that in 1975 in an ailing Citroën Dyane with three people up and a big tent on top. At one point two had to get out and walk.

No rain, though.

« Reply #22492 on: 19 May, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »
A ride of three halves.  Set off at 10.00pm Saturday, 55k on mostly minor roads down to Darlington.  Some interesting wildlife on display - Wheatley Hill had a stretch of road with a variety of fast food containers, cups and bags recently hoyed out of cars on to the road and verge.  Sedgefield - various inebriated natives staggering homewards and shouting various comments at anything in sight, including me.  And a young woman lying on the ground crying while her partner phoned for assistance.  Wingate - some older natives tottering out from the pub.  On the plus side, very little traffic and an almost full moon shining brightly between the clouds.

Then helping at the finish control for Deano's 400k event through the night.  Interesting to see the riders at the finish and a relief not to have taken part in the 400k event.  Nice food including some topper chocolate brownies.

All cleared away and ready to ride a slightly more direct 50k route back home.  Increasingly warm in the sunshine and no sign of last night's wildlife.  On the other hand more traffic zipping past, even on the minor roads.  Back home by lunchtime, maybe an afternoon nap before a nice evening meal with some red wine to replace the electrolytes.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #22493 on: 19 May, 2019, 04:49:16 pm »
had a run out to check the new route for the darlo 50 miler...  just so I know where I am going on the the day  ;)dragged karon along as she needs the miles in her legs  lol..she enjoyed it ... well the ice cream at Archers and the cider at the navy club might have had a lot to do with it  ;D ;D ....70 miles there and back from newton aycliffe

https://www.strava.com/activities/2380646246

« Reply #22494 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:27:47 pm »
Rough Stuff Fellowship home counties ride, 23 miles south of St Albans, on the Bridgestone Moulton again, six of us altogether including another Moulton (APB). A lot of very high quality bridleways, quite a few walkers and equestrians too. Third Sunday in a row I've been out after the winter hiatus, starting to feel fitter already with more stamina.

Route here: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=lbilsnhgmhueoijz

« Reply #22495 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:02:21 pm »
Missed a ride the other day for the first time ever, due to a raging inner knee pain. Getting older is not fun. I have done all the cleat tweaking stuff. Also saw a couple on fully loaded bikes coming into town around tea time which made me very envious. Time for an adventure thinks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22496 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:31:13 pm »
Getting older may not be fun, but it’s better than the alternative, as my dad used to say, until he stopped getting older.

I had a very pleasing 7 mile ride alongside the Medway with my 8 year old granddaughter and a friend of hers. I couldn’t have done that when I was younger!

In the time-honoured tradition of YACF, we went to a pub.

There is a group of 4 of these kids who spend a lot of time just riding round the block. The parents are all sufficiently laid-back about it that none of the kids wears a helmet. I’m glad I had only the two of them to look after. They ride pretty well, but the one in front kept looking over his or her shoulder to see where the other was, and they tend to deviate off a straight course when they do that. That is not to be encouraged on a narrow path with a deep river on one side.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22497 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:37:15 pm »
I popped out on my regular 20 mile pootle, from Bedford, out through Cardington, Ireland, Southill, Old Warden, Ickwell, Northill, Cople, and back through Cardington again. A lovely day for a ride, but I was only doing it as a final shakedown before settling off for a week in Brittany on Wednesday. I needed to sort out my B&M/dynohub charging setup. It’s been a year since I last used it, and I needed to re-acquaint myself with it. All seems well. Let’s hope the weather holds (in Brittany) for a week of cycle camping.

g8iln

« Reply #22498 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:20:18 pm »
Yes and it was one of those days!

Put some new pedals on the bike, 10 miles into the ride and the left one starts clicking, then it decides to keep presenting itself upside down causing a couple of aborted hill starts, it seems the posh ceramic bearing was breaking up.

A few miles later and the front change drops the chain, somehow refitting the chain results in me cutting my finger on something, how can such a small hole produce so much blood? It was like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Back on the road and I decide to head home for tea and Kit Kat, taking a narrow lane short cut I am met by an elderly woman with a large dog, she hears my freewheel and moves to let me pass, as I do so her dog lunges at me biting my left hand. She says I should've rung my bell so it's my fault I got bitten!!!!

Ah well, there's always tomorrow! Going for a gentle ride on my old Carlton Corsair and hopefully staying out of trouble.

« Reply #22499 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:33:25 pm »
I popped out on my regular 20 mile pootle, from Bedford, out through Cardington, Ireland, Southill, Old Warden, Ickwell, Northill, Cople, and back through Cardington again. A lovely day for a ride, but I was only doing it as a final shakedown before settling off for a week in Brittany on Wednesday. I needed to sort out my B&M/dynohub charging setup. It’s been a year since I last used it, and I needed to re-acquaint myself with it. All seems well. Let’s hope the weather holds (in Brittany) for a week of cycle camping.

Lucky devil enjoy!