Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3890289 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21725 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:12:01 pm »
I went on the local club ride today, extended with a ride to/from the start.
Froze my bearings off.

The ride leader showed up, and me and one other.  About 90% DNS rate.
The leader bailed 5k in, he wasn't feeling that great.

So the remaining 2 of us continued.
The route we took was not the planned route, but it was one of the 'standard' routes.

The second homeward-bound half was a fair grind into a bitingly cold headwind, and there was a fair amount of snow on the road over the higher part of the route.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2561038537

You're not the only loony round here then?  ;D

« Reply #21726 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:40:04 pm »
Today’s ride goes straight into the top ten of most ludicrous things I’ve done onna bike.

With the Yorkshire Gallop being cancelled, some audaxers were at a loose end, and a few of us met up with some locals in Newby Wiske for Mike’s route around the Hambletons. Advertised as “taking shelter in the hills”, we started with a lovely fire road up to the Drovers’ Road, but I did then wonder why we were heading along the ridgetop, exposed to the bitter easterly. But it was OK, as we soon descended an unrideable (for me) goat track to get a bit of shelter in Thorodale. Just the one over-the bar incident where my front wheel planted itself in a peaty gully. I’ve a mate who claims it isn’t a proper day out on a bike unless you go over the bars at least once - I disagree.

The locals bravely turned for home after the cafe stop at Hawnby, and that was about where the weather started to take its toll. Not so much on us, but on the bikes. The water bottles were the first to go - to be honest, mine had frozen before we reached the Drovers’ Road - and then everyone was riding single-ring set-ups as front mechs froze solid and even kicking them down ceased to work. I’d pre-empted this by riding singlespeed, which was lucky as by the end, everyone else was as well. Mechs were clagged up with snow, ice and dirt, and Mick’s big ring was picked out beautifully in grime and rime. I didn’t need the Garmin to tell me how bloody cold it was, but it’s nice to have some figures - a maximum of 6° (which was when the bike was in a sheltered sunny apot outside the cafe) and a minimum of -3°, but floating around freezing. 1° while riding past Rievaulx Abbey felt balmy. I’ve no idea what the wind chill was, but I’d guess at Fucking Freezing°.

More hills, and some actually quite enjoyable offroad bits followed before the pub stop at the Dog and Gun in Knayton. I don’t think anybody wanted to leave, after being pebbledashed by hail along Cleveland Road.

Stupidly hilly, and probably just plain stupid, but it was a good laugh, and I doubt I’ll ever forget it: https://www.strava.com/activities/1458120196

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #21727 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:26:53 pm »
Just a short pootle round - not as good as two weeks ago, but still fun..

Sometimes life is black and white...

Top of Ashbury Hill, approaching the Ridgeway

Shelter for a tea break

Daggers under the M4

It got a bit deep on the way home  :)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21728 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »
Today’s ride goes straight into the top ten of most ludicrous things I’ve done onna bike.
Yeah, that's somewhere between "ludicrous" and "irresponsibly stupid".  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21729 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »
Rode up the Waskerley Way  today  from home, Sheep were very friendly - just hungry. I was the only customer at  Park Head  Cafe- Actually I got  the  impression from Lorraine all weekend..
Marathon Winters on the tourer were fun. - plenty traction, the engine ran outta torque when the  sno depth  went  much over  the B.B. Was  getting  better at  keeping  in a straight  line in deep snow so I decided  to tackle a  particular drift in front of an audience, (two dog  walkers) Spectacular wipe-out, just injured pride. :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21730 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:56:25 pm »
Waskerley Way?  Any weasels there?   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #21731 on: 19 March, 2018, 05:02:15 am »
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21732 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:09:28 pm »
We picked a rather cold week for a bike tour: http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/rhein-waal-maas-day-1-kempen-to-rees-am-rhein/

Spotted that on Strava, my feet went numb in sympathy!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21733 on: 21 March, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »
I have just been on an 11-mile round trip to my singing lesson. When you get out of the habit of using the bike every day it becomes a major faff trying to find all the stuff you are likely to need.

My singing teacher and her partner are both cyclists and she takes an interest in my activities!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21734 on: 24 March, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »
To Mum's via Mow Cop and the Biddulph Valley Way. Mow Cop hasn't got any less steep in the last quarter century and I had to resort to my 24 inch gear past the Cheshire View pub. Biddulph Valley way was cracking and I'll definitely use that more often. I reckon I've got the frequency of Mow Cop about right.103 km

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21735 on: 25 March, 2018, 04:29:14 pm »
A circuit to Trinity Buoy Wharf to see the art installations which I've been meaning to do for ages.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21736 on: 25 March, 2018, 06:25:00 pm »
Up Passo del Vestito again, not something I expected to achieve as I've now got my road bike in Italy.  Lowest gear inches on that are considerably higher than my gravel bike.  OTOH it is a hell of a lot lighter and that's before the 3 kilos of ballast I've been carrying in the gravel bike pannier just for the extra training.  The infernal combustion powered wildlife did their best to spoil my fun, see Motorised Moron thread.

Forgot to reset the garmin before the start so
https://www.strava.com/activities/1471642759
https://www.strava.com/activities/1471647064
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #21737 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:08:48 pm »
Out playing on the new electric assist deckchair (trice trike) , thanks Torslanda :thumbsup: . 20 miles around Windsor park this afternoon and 15 miles doing Burnham beechs black park loop . Ave 10mph  :D
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21738 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:52:09 pm »
Out playing on the new electric assist deckchair (trice trike) , thanks Torslanda :thumbsup: . 20 miles around Windsor park this afternoon and 15 miles doing Burnham beechs black park loop . Ave 10mph  :D

Cool!  Next time try switching the motor on   ;)

(Went out for a ride because it being YACF's birthday beat my low mojo level.  The sun thought it was summer, but the wind hadn't got the memo.  A bird of some kind shat on my toptube, but somehow managed to miss my body entirely.)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21739 on: 25 March, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21740 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:46:25 pm »
having spent the last week on the turbo because of shite weather and work pressures, finally got out on the new Cruzbike, first ride clipped in. 

My normal 25km test loop.
Last summer's performance on this loop - DF Audax bike 30.9km/h, 48:39, very windy;   M5 - M-racer - 27.8km/h, 54min, not quite so windy

Today, on the S40, with 100km under my belt, mostly on the indoor trainer, in Audax set-up 28.5km/h, 52:15
That was with a very high cadence, deliberately undergearing to help manage my wobbles as the lower gear = lower pedal pressure = less wobble. Still had a few moments of wobble, correct, wobble, over correct, head towards the ditch etc.

The S40 is much less aero than the M5, but seems much easier to get the power out. I think, once I get used to it, it's going to be quick

Also followed this with 15 mins of car park drills, very worthwhile and will be repeated. Right hand turns proving harder than left hand turns.

Garmin trace here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2577761420
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21741 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »

Cool!  Next time try switching the motor on   ;)

(Went out for a ride because it being YACF's birthday beat my low mojo level.  The sun thought it was summer, but the wind hadn't got the memo.  A bird of some kind shat on my toptube, but somehow managed to miss my body entirely.)

It's supposed to be lucky to hit by a bird though I think that the bird is lucky because if caught it I would pull it's feathers out and make it walk  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21742 on: 25 March, 2018, 11:05:09 pm »
This: http://gentlemancyclist.org.uk/2018/03/25/256/

Sounds excellent, much better than my enforced dash round the fens
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21743 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
A very laborious 57 k in 15°C that felt much colder. Really had to force myself, too - spring fwd + post-lunch digestive slump, doubtless. Still knackered today, though. Curious.

Had forgotten, too, that Sunday afternoon = cycle path choked with dozy peds walking off their plonk & family groups with push-chairs & tiddlers on kiddie bikes. Was reduced to snail's pace & dead stop half-a-doz times in 5 km.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21744 on: 26 March, 2018, 11:03:52 am »
Up Passo del Vestito again, not something I expected to achieve as I've now got my road bike in Italy.  Lowest gear inches on that are considerably higher than my gravel bike.  OTOH it is a hell of a lot lighter and that's before the 3 kilos of ballast I've been carrying in the gravel bike pannier just for the extra training.  The infernal combustion powered wildlife did their best to spoil my fun, see Motorised Moron thread.

Forgot to reset the garmin before the start so
https://www.strava.com/activities/1471642759
https://www.strava.com/activities/1471647064
Can't tell from your links, so which bike did you feel went up there better?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21745 on: 26 March, 2018, 11:09:19 am »
Rode Barry's Bristol Ball Buster, 215km of cake. Some cycling involved. Almost had an Uber moment on Glastonbury High Street when a woman walked out from between two parked cars about 3m in front of me, not even looking in my direction. Collision avoided mostly by her jumping out of the way. Gorgeous weather though got a bit chilly later, and the pub that was supposed to function as the penultimate control was closed when we got there.  :o Felt sorry for the controller who hadn't known it would be closed and had to wait out front for a further two and three-quarter hours.

SoreTween

« Reply #21746 on: 26 March, 2018, 05:44:38 pm »
Can't tell from your links, so which bike did you feel went up there better?
I think I've done better on the gravel bike but I don't think there's a great deal in it.  I was moving quicker yesterday but my heart rate was higher, straining harder and stopping more.  I was peddling as slowly as I could, any slower and it was so hard to keep pushing I'd grind to a halt.
I'll see if I can tell, I'm not a paying strava user so tools are limited.  I would guess I was faster to about 400mtr but by the top the lead was lost.  The best comparison might be against the first time up it on the gravel bike rather than my fastest.

ETA:
I was correct that it is not my fastest up it but nor was it my fastest to 400mtr:
Code: [Select]
To 400mtr To 900mtr
07/01/18 01:00:17 01:56:20 Gravel
21/01/18 00:49:14 01:40:19 Gravel
11/02/18 00:49:06 01:48:33 Gravel
25/03/18 00:55:32 01:47:54 Road
This is the section I'm using to make the comparison:
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/59790

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21747 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:41:09 pm »
But it was your second fastest to the top! I guess a lot depends on conditions on the day, and of course results from one person are not necessarily applicable to another.

« Reply #21748 on: 28 March, 2018, 02:45:00 pm »
20 very wet miles with a retired group, including a really nice lunch in a community resurrected pub. My feet are freezing as have lost my sealskins somewhere and my waterproof gloves are not.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

« Reply #21749 on: 28 March, 2018, 07:04:12 pm »
Not today, yesterday.  A fast run along the flat coast road including coming bloody close to being wiped out.  After Forte dei Marmi the road narrows and the traffic lights quite tedious, they cycle really slowly and some are not sensor driven.  Beside the road there is a lovely wide cycle path of the type motons have to cross.  For that reason I've barely used it but last night I did.  It did not take long for a moton to try and drive through me. I managed to swerve to the left of the path and got away with my right heel just brushing the front of the car.