Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888317 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21875 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:23:01 am »
Sunday yn Sir Benfro - Llanychaer not far from Fishguard ...

I don't usually buy eggs, roadside

Approve the swords-to-ploughshares/creative use of ammo box !

« Reply #21876 on: 22 May, 2018, 08:58:45 pm »
Yesterday - gorgeous ride around the Pennines and the Dales with my sister and brother-in-law. We rode with a pair of clubmates as far as Brough, before they went off to their holiday lodge to whip the servants (possibly).

The Grains o't'Beck road over Lunedale from Teesdale to the Eden is one of my favourite roads. There isn't a finer place in the world than Teesdale, unless it's Teesdale in late springtime.

We were in the mood for more miles, and we went south across Mallerstang - also one of my favourite roads, though I did eye up some of the bridleways off to east and west for future reference. Another day, and another bike, as I don't fancy them on 69" fixed with 25 mm tyres.

I parted ways with my sister and b-i-l at Hawes, as they were after going straight back, but I wanted to stay out a bit later, and went south up the escarpment to Burtersett. It's one of those "It can't go up there? Straight up there?" kind of roads, so straight up and over the top, then down to Semer Water it was. With the sharp climb up the side of Semer Water straight after, it felt kind of like riding two Fleet Mosses in succession - though probably not that bad, really.

As any ride without a comedy offroad section feels like half a ride at the moment, I dropped into Bishopsdale and followed a track up to Morpeth Scar. On a different bike, I'd have eaten it up, but it was worth the push to the top for a long haul along the top of Wensleydale, with the views shading off into infinity under the slight haze. Bit stony, mind.

I dropped into Coverdale and just had time to play a game of Spot Things you Only See in Middleham, before picking a much, much flatter route home. A surprising 110 miles, as I'd half-thought I'd be turning for home at Middleton when I set off in the morning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21877 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:51:34 am »
The Grains o't'Beck road over Lunedale from Teesdale to the Eden is one of my favourite roads. There isn't a finer place in the world than Teesdale, unless it's Teesdale in late springtime.
Never been there but your photos tempt me to agree. Mind you, it's everywhere in late springtime really.

On a different bike, I'd have eaten it up, but it was worth the push to the top for a long haul along the top of Wensleydale, with the views shading off into infinity under the slight haze. Bit stony, mind.
I ate it up for breakfast! Actually there's still some left...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #21878 on: 24 May, 2018, 08:59:40 am »
Spent a fiver to spend 90 minutes or so playing at being a hamster.... ;D

https://www.relive.cc/view/1591510117

Enjoyed being on a closed track but the wind along the back straight was horrible!!!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21879 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:04:07 am »
149 km through the usual breathtakingly beautiful springtime countryside with the usual slew of storks, herons, ducks, swans, cabin cruiseroids,  anglepersons, castles (but only 3), and one small adder which, having seen it too late to take evasive action, I probably killed. That made me sad, for it was quite beautiful with its silvery grey/black livery and wee diamond head. Had it lived it might have bitten a fisherman.

Messed up drinking on first 75k and got dehydrated, had to conjure cramp over the last 40k. Idiot.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21880 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »
Across the Moss onto Port Salford Greenway, Blackleach Country Park

and Linnyshaw Loopline,

a bit of the A6 before some tracks over the old bit of Cut Acre Surface Mine, after which the route planning failed, no way across Hulton Estate I could see, so a main road loop through Westhougton and Atherton, then down Shakerley Lane to Tyldelsey which looked stunning with the white blossom on black surface

Picked up the busway to Leigh and home along the roads. A cracking 59km, but it's tough heading NE.

« Reply #21881 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:17:18 pm »
Two and a half hours of rolling lanes up to Piltdown and Fletching to make a loop. It was a bit warm, but enough shade and breeze to be pleasant riding. I'd probably have had empty water bottles at three hours.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21882 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:32:42 pm »
No.  I lost a pingfuckit for my brake and then it was raining sustrans path.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21883 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:09:49 pm »
70km on the cruzbike in the afternoon heat - nice white banding on my arm from my T1D medalert bracelet. From Home, out through Ely, Prickwillow, Isleham, Chippenham, cross the A11, Turn left at Kentford turn left again through Red Lodge, Worlington, Beck Row and home along the Mildenhall road. 

Very windy out to the turn at Kentford, nicely faster return.

Cruzbike becoming pretty much ingrained now, no dramas.  Got home just putting it away when oldest daughter yells requests that I head to the corner shop to pick up mozzarella for their pizzas.  Rode the few km on the green machine 90s MTB, just felt odd perched up there straight after 70km lying down
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21884 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »
Rode down to tiermat's to reclaim my spare tent. It was too nice a day to hack along the A167 - the farmer had closed the gates on the bridge over the Tees at Low Hall, but after crossing at Croft and main-roading it for a few miles, I diverted off for some lanes and bridleways.

Tent collected and barbecue smelt, I meandered south a bit to Felixkirk and up Boltby Bank. Then along the Drovers' Road to camp at High Paradise. There's a Low Paradise too, FYI.

It was still early-ish and too lovely an evening not to, so I pitched my tent and went for another ride, just a short hilly loop down to Hawnby and round some tracks - some horrible, some luscious.

Back to Hawnby to confirm that the pub is definitely shut. And back to my tent via the old Kepwick Road to Rag Robin, and along the Drovers' Road, with the sun setting behind the distant Pennines to my right. A perfect day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21885 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:35:23 am »
Went out in the afternoon to check the position of the new seatpost. I seem to have got the longitudinal and lateral positions right by just copying but it needed to come down a few mm and possibly the nose needs to be angled up a tiny bit. And no slipping.

Warm and humid but no (more) rain. Meandered in a northward direction, including some good quality COR on a farm track. It became all the more comedic when I discovered bog-you-down mud at the bottom of a 6" puddle. Somewhere along the line, comp recorded a max of 79.4km/h, which suggests interference (I was riding under a line of pylons on the Concord Way at one point). I returned home nicely muddy, made myself a Cheshire cheese sandwich and drank a cup of tea followed by a bottle of tea, which is actually beer (stands for Traditional English Ale, unimaginatively). If I ever find a tea called beer, how much fun could be had!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21886 on: 28 May, 2018, 12:28:42 pm »
Went out in the afternoon to check the position of the new seatpost.

Was it under the saddle?  Just guessing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21887 on: 28 May, 2018, 03:36:18 pm »
5km..... however that was me and the monkeys 6 & 4. The bigger monkey could easily do much more and the little one has jumped up to 14" Isla bike. Size is good but the gearing must me a step up as her legs weren't doing the usual comedy fast pedaling. However also dragged brother, sister in law and there little in out in the kiddie seat. 7 of us together. Ill make a cycling family out of them yet.

« Reply #21888 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:41:27 pm »
Went for a 50km ride in the Cotswolds with mrsao this pm.  Started in Burford, Sherborne, Bourton-o-t-w, Slaughters, Notgrove, Turkdean.  Great weather.  Discovered that nearly all the the tourists were hiding in Bourton.

Upper Slaughter ford - getting one foot wet.

IMG_20180528_155230745_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180528_174403269_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180528_151722735 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #21889 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:34:07 am »
Rode down to the New Forest on Friday, 50 miles including about 10 miles along the Test Way and other bits of the national cycle network - which saved me tackling the Totton Bypass at rush hour.  Longest ride I've done in years. Plenty of spare legs at the end too.
Today I ran 10 miles, the longest run I've done in a decade.
Must be doing something right ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21890 on: 29 May, 2018, 03:43:30 pm »
Just out along the Railway Path almost into Bath and back yesterday evening. Path was very busy with cyclists fast and slow, walkers, dogs, kids, drunks, runners, scooterists and so on. On the way back chanced into a mate I'd not seen for a while, he was out running, we spent half an hour yacking about electric bikes, one inch steerers, climbing walls, LBS scandal and so on. No mud.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #21891 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »
Cycled down to Balallan and met up with Woollypigs for a sunny South Lochs loop. :)

« Reply #21892 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:59:30 pm »
Good to hear that:-
1. You are out and about enjoying yourself
2. Woolly is about and about enjoying himself.
on bikes that is.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21893 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:11:28 pm »
A Potter in a thunderstorm to Windsor and back to the cycle shop to get a stuck right hand cup removed .
I discovered the pocket of the waterproof that nobby gave me wasn't . my phone is now embedded in rice to dry out
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21894 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:14:54 pm »
Went the wrong way to the shops to check out the (now re-opened with a wider towpath) Edgbaston Tunnel.  They've done a decent enough job on the path (plenty of room for two cyclists to pass), though it's currently covered in loose gravel.

seraphina

« Reply #21895 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:08:13 am »
We're on holiday so a lovely pootle en famille around the Baie De Somme to a bird reserve and back. Lovely cycle paths and quiet roads with considerate drivers and cows. The Followme is a massive talking point - we should be on comission! Weather perfect and there's frites. Longest day for Miss S on the bike so far at over 20km.

Also, electric bikes are *everywhere*

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21896 on: 31 May, 2018, 10:43:08 am »
Yesterday, 60-odd km, whereof ~40 with El Prez, who is now condemned to riding mostly on the flat. Warm.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21897 on: 31 May, 2018, 08:36:27 pm »
Yes, a rapid (for me) 65km at an average of 14.9mph helped by light winds. Nice and warm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #21898 on: 01 June, 2018, 11:23:50 pm »
I'd planned a 200 km loop around t'Moors, as the public were demanding* a 200km ride. I plotted a route, with a simple brief - pick tracks and roads which get up high and stay there, to prevent the constant rhythm of dropping down to a valley and climbing back up the other side which made Moor Gravel such an interesting ride.

The sea fret seemed to have lifted, and I hacked along the roads to Stokesley and up the Incline. A couple of walkers congratulated me - I told them they should congratulate themselves, as it's a tough walk, and I should know. I ignored the route to the Lion, and carried on along the track along Rudland Rigg, which stays up high, with just a few ups-and-downs to keep it interesting before it drops to Dovedale. So far, so good.

The pub at Cropton looks lovely - it comes with camping and its own brewery. It is rather nice, but they were busy, and my chip butty took a fair while. Hmm, maybe not the best control point. But the lanes were lovely, with a bit of tree cover to shelter me from the sun - it worked for Napoleon, so why not me.

There was a very rough bit connecting said lovely lanes with Newton Forest Drive and the level crossing on the NYM railway. Then a fairly stupid but entertaining bit of bridleway along a grassy track and up a hill, all the while being able to see the road that goes up the same hill farther down the valley. Lots of livestock up there too - hairy coobeasties have right of way, I reckon.

The track up to Hole of Horcum ("Hole!") was fabulous, though, and I was looking forward to the bridleway round the back of RAF Fylingdales. I hadn't been so close since an anti-war demo way back when. It's still a grim old place, and the bridleway was all singletrack - reasonably ridable today, but I couldn't route a 200 over that lot. Which is wuite a shame, cos it leads onto a forestry road which was good going.

I was trying to follow proper bridleways - this was a bit hard, when I saw the tempting-looking footpath from May Beck Car Park to Falling Foss. But up the hill, to the b-road, and back down it was. Sure enough, at Falling Foss there was a fingerpost pointing back to May Beck, along the beck.

The tracks from Falling Foss were a bit of a mess - mostly really ridable, but it became pretty clear that everyone ignored the official rights of way, and rode along the tracks, which is exactly what I did. They looked like access tracks for the line of quite rusty pylons coming up the hill from Whitby.

They got me to the top of Blue Bank and the fabulous scream downhill to Grosmont. I maundered along Eskdale to Commondale, which was another poorly-chosen control point. There is a pub, the Cleveland Inn, and it was open, and they have snacks and stuff and are quite happy to fill cyclists' bottles. But it was 7 pm on a Friday and it was empty, apart from a waggy dog in the window - he was really pleased to see this blonde woman walk in, and after faffing a bit, I followed. And immediately walked out again, to check that I was entering a pub - it felt like someone's front room. When I left, there were three people there. Later in the ride, I passed the King's Head in Seamer, another pub with a weird vibe, but I reckon the Cleveland Inn wins.

Anyway, that was where I decided to head home rather than tackle the two extra GPFO hills, some offroad, and lots of little hills. A couple more hills, then downhill and flat back home it was. Turned out to be 177 km, so a pretty good ride in the heat, and a decent consolation for missing TINAT this weekend.

*Well, Paul D mentioned it, and the 100-miler came from a random comment Dr Mekon made, so why not.

« Reply #21899 on: 02 June, 2018, 12:19:13 am »
Yep went out- although it was only a couple of miles with the dog  ;D

My conclusion is that the 10 year old dog remains fitter than me without significant training. I rate his chances higher of managing an ascent of Cheddar gorge than mine currently  :o