Author Topic: "999 Miles of Rome and the South" with BRM approval  (Read 19022 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: "999 Miles of Rome and the South" with BRM approval
« Reply #50 on: 13 June, 2017, 03:52:23 pm »
I've now sent them all the documents, and had them Okayed! :)

I have done the same, but have heard nothing back. I assume everything is OK, but will take hard copies just in case.

I believe that the BRM's have a different volunteer in charge, and looking at the paperwork than the BRI's (who have Fabio). Maybe the other chap doesn't acknowledge? I will also take hard copies along as well, just in case, and the ARI Randocard on my phone and printed out.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #51 on: 13 June, 2017, 04:18:18 pm »
Earlier in the year I remember reading the list of entrants and nationality, but now I can't find one? Where (on the website) is it available?

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #53 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:02:41 am »
And the link for the 'musical postcard video', which seems to have gone away?

Pete Mas

« Reply #54 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »
Very detailed and professional-looking final information received on an email link this morning, with Gpx tracks, Road book in English, town and city maps, stage descriptions, route-sheets, etc, all dowloadable on Smartphones.

Doesn't say, but I assume the GPX's have changed? The previous versions were described as final, I think?

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:21:50 am »
Just had confirmation from Fabio that '(The GPX)  track on site has been updated and is final.'
So I have to re-load all the 17 tracks once more tonight...Such fun.

Did anyone else notice (the advice in the Road Book to take care in) the 40km tunnel section on one stage! I hope its downhill? Though there is an alternative road to the side mentioned.

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:54:55 am »
There were a couple of tunnels somewhat longer than a kilometre during the Indian 200 I rode a few weeks back. They were quite long enough for my taste.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #57 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:59:21 pm »
I particularly like reading the description on stage 14 from Morcone to Letino:
"It is
recommended you do not attempt
to pass over the Matese alone
at night. Wild animals including
wolves and eagles populate the
area."

:o

Pete Mas

« Reply #58 on: 20 June, 2017, 02:31:55 pm »
Stage 14 is the one with 1600m of climb in 54km. Hence we will be slow-moving targets like ''sitting ducks'' for the wolves and eagles ...(gulp)
Luckily I don't have ''Hungry like a Wolf'' on my ipod. ;D

Perhaps extra points in the '999Selfie' Competition for one with a wolf?  :hand:

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »
And the link for the 'musical postcard video', which seems to have gone away?

Found that, posted here by veloboy! 40km tunnel... mebbe if its raining... though next weeks forecasts seems remarkably similar to the UK this week.

I know its heresy but I'm thinking of leaving the (clip on) mudguards at home...

My favourite stat is that... to all intents and purposes the events starts near sea level and between 20 and 30km climbs from 200 to 650m.

Looks like I'm gonna be 'shelled out' sooner rather than later!

Martin

« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:49:46 pm »
a 40km tunnel under land  in Italy is bolleaux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_tunnels

Pete Mas

« Reply #61 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:11:25 am »
 A 40km tunnel does sound unlikely. :o It would be the longest in Europe. Its on stage 8 from Tricarico to Montescaglioso, according to the Road Book- maybe they meant 4km?

I have just loaded the 17 GPX files to Garmin, and noted that Stage 15 is called '999M14' on the Garmin, so I renamed it as 15, and notified Fabio. Took me ages wondering why  stage 15 wouldn't load!

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #62 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:45:49 am »
Have you noticed there are two different link to download the GPX tracks:

- The first being the direct links to the individual stage Openrunner tracks on the ARI website: http://www.audaxitalia.it/index.php?pg=calendario_rm_1200&org=192&obid=913

- The second being the direct download (Zip file) of ALL the stages on the 999Miglia website: http://www.999miglia.it/doc/999_tappe_gpx.zip

I wonder if they are both the same? On the Miglia1001 there was a similar issue, and unfortunately had different sets of information, which caused a lot of confusion the first night on the road, as riders were following different tracks! The file sizes seem to be slightly different, as do the naming conventions.

Pete Mas

« Reply #63 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:13:03 pm »
From Fabio's reply to me, (mentioned above) I would take the most recent Zip file (on the 999Miglia website) as final. This is available as a whole of ride GPX or the 17 individual stages.

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

« Reply #64 on: 21 June, 2017, 06:31:36 pm »
Had a walk through the roadbook last night. Went from an initial panic to a "this might be doable...". Doubtless that will wear off soon enough...

The upside is that the schedule seems to allow for being at a control at the end of each day (whenever that might be), which makes setting clear objectives for each day of the event  straightforward... much simpler than trying to set and stick to some arbitrary milage plan.

On my full value 150hr schedule it boils down to roughly three 300km days of medium hard, three 200 days each featuring some very hard, and a final triumphal cruise into Rome on the final morning.

What could possibly go wrong? :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »
Anyone heard from our intrepid adventurers? Not a dicky bird from Manotea yet  - but he's a taciturn bugger.

USian Mark Thomas posted on Facebook:

"Arrived Pompei in ruins. It's 5am and we are going to try to regroup for a hillier day tomorrow.

388km 3749m
"

:o
Mark is ... quite a strong rider!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #67 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:57:48 am »
I finished last night at 23:00 after setting off on Saturday evening. John Bookman and the Hampshire Wheelers guy he rides with, were a couple of hours ahead of me. I had a couple of good over night bed and breakfast stops which made things more comfortable for me.

The ride was so Italian - if you have ridden any of the long distance rides her you will know what I mean!

I may write some thoughts when I've composed them.

It's been very hot and humid, the forecast is for thunderstorms so good luck to everyone else out there!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:39:48 am »
Well done Humpdoc. It sounds like a great adventure!

Is the cutoff 2pm Saturday for BRM (Italia time)?

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #69 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:06:09 am »
Finished lastnight at 21.50 with veloboy. That was bloody hard. The heat a killer and setting out to finish thursday night, ie 5days.
Just daft.

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #70 on: 30 June, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »
Well that all went a bit pear-shaped from the off...

Broken rear gear cable on first bit of climb after 25km with the cable nipple stuck in the shifter, followed by locking coming undone.

Called the orgs and as a Sunday with no shop open they suggested I catch a train to Caserta where they would meet me to carry out repairs. So skipped about 200km of riding and rejoined the route with organisers consent.

Hellish roads around Vesuvius: cobbles; badly set granite flags; potholes; heavy Sunday night traffic.

At Meta di Sorrento around midnight. Ate, showered, slept for a couple of hours. Avoided the worst of the traffic on the Amalfi Coast by setting off at 4am. Caught and passed by Mike Tomlinson at Amalfi. Memorable comment: "Wonder what the accident rate on this ride is?" Temperatures starting to rise fiercely. At Paestum at 1pm.

Flat roads until climb to Roccaspide. Very, very, nearly taken out by driver of a 4WD pick-up truck that had no intention of stopping at junction as he descended a side road. Anticipating he wouldn't stop, I slowed before the junction only for the driver to swerve and bounce over a traffic island bringing himself to a halt a metre from me. He gets out and does the Italian sweary driver thing.

Next climb is up to Corleto Monforte which doesn't begin well with a 25% - 30+% walk up a "goat track". Cue tears and questions of, "What am I doing here?" Unbearably hot on the rest of the climb. Arrive Altima Lucana around 6.30pm shortly followed by John Barkman, Paul Whitehead, rider in Audax Kernow jersey (Humpdoc?) also present.

Set off on the very climby stage to Tricarico at around 4.30 and made good progress until the heat of the day started to kick in again. Wasted 2 hours in Potenza trying to get cassette lock ring properly sorted but ended up with another fudge. Second near miss when an approaching Mercedes driver mis-timed a left turn and came to a screeching stop. Eventually arrived at Tricarico at about 12.30.

The next stage should have been one of the easier ones but that idea was quickly dispelled by the intense gusts of heat on the descent where it felt like someone had just opened the door of a commercial oven. The road rolled on without shadow or shade to hide from the sun. About 12km before the control at Montescaglioso I found myself utterly deflated, without water and suffering from heat exhaustion - riders were reporting temperatures of 39-43C. I was rescued by a couple of Italian riders who'd scrounged some water from a farmer working in a field and then again a kilometre later when I caught the pair riding back along a dusty track from an Agriturismo.

I sat under the shade of a tree, stripped off my shirt and waited for my temperature to drop. Another pair of Italians arrived and headed off down the track to find water so I asked them to collect a bottle for me. When they returned they stood around laughing and pointing at the city on the hill, that popped out of the landscape like a broken bone, clearly insinuating that was our destination and there was a nasty ascent to come.

Arrived around 6pm, ate, showered, rested and continued on towards Alberobello through the night. Only a couple of minor dramas on this stage: the feeling of being absolutely lost in the dead of night on a stretch of strada bianca that went on and on and again feeling lost in the narrow alleys in Martina Franca's old town.

By now I was making decisions: with no BRM possible, since I'd already skipped 200km and another day of potential heat exhaustion ahead, I rode to Conversano knowing I was going to bail. Gave in my notice at the control and went and booked into what turned out to be a rather boutique B & B. Train to Bari, where I am now enjoying rest and gelato by the Adriatic. Train to Rome early tomorrow morning.

No complaints on my part ;I was totally underprepared  both physically and materially and this was a very unforgiving course . The kilometres I did ride, passed through some fantastic locacations. Support from the organisers and volunteers was superb as was the southern Italian hospitality. Time for more ice cream and sea air.

« Reply #71 on: 30 June, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
What a nightmare... apart from the mechanical, I was almost there a few times on this very arduous randonee.

Things that saved me:

I started with the 168 hour group not the 150 hour group. I ruptured my Achilles' tendon last August so a pounding of this magnitude induced some trepidation. My left calf is half the size and strength of the right one. I knew I would be tested on the climbs. I even used a 54/34 32t rear which was brilliant. Anyway getting back to the point .. riding through the night at the head of this group helped me make progress relatively quickly in the cooler but not by much night.

I got my head round the constant near death experiences as outlined, I have had an adrenaline fueled career in A&E departments. I am also a very experienced cyclist and ride with every sensory input and human behavioral experiences I have gained in all my high mileage years of audaxing.

I made sure I always had water or was topped up enough to be passing urine regularly. That along with the electrolyte tablets saved my kidneys! It was extremely hot - probably the hottest conditions I have cycled in.
Supermarkets, Bars and gelaterias were frequent stops. The extra water bottle was a life saver a couple of times.

I had a hotel stop after 27 hours. I had 7 hours sleep and a good breakfast. This was repeated
at Lentino 48 hours later. It's incredible how refreshed and reinvigorated you get after doing this if you have time. It enabled me to finish last night after a total of 134 hours.

There were a lot of issues with this event but taking everything in to account I had an overall positive experience the more I reflect on it. It was certainly an adrenaline inducing ride for all the wrong reasons!

Looking forward to the Dolomites next ...I think.

Manotea

« Reply #72 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:21:05 am »
Short report from my phone....

I'd always regarded the 1001 as off limits because it's in August and I cannot handle hot weather, so I jumped at an event in June. Cue heatwave in June. So it's all my fault. Sorry.

I stopped at the coop outside Anagni, the first control in zombie mode. Bought something to eat and drink and dozed for about an hour then pushed on to the control, which was on top of a hill, arriving just in time. Stopped again a while then pushed on but going too slowly. After about 60k, I turned into a bar to buy some water, sat in a chair and basically stayed there a couple of hours, dozing on and off. By now it was about 7pm. The day was colling but it was still hot enough and the schedule was shot. It was game over as there was no way I was going to make the series of climbs to control #2 in my current state. So I got a room for the night. My 999 basically lasted about 8 hours. :)

After that I decided to cruise on and see how far I could go, which was Potenza, about 650km, where I got a train back to Napoli then the next day(Friday) to Fondi, where I retraced the route to Rome, about 150km. So about 800km for the week. Lost a a lot of time because of a a series problems with my chain.  I arrived at Ruviano, the third control (long deserted), about 3am with the chain in my saddlebag...

Lots more to say but it will keep for now other than to say I've had a mega week... the view of the bay of Naples and Vesuvius at sunset alone made the trip worthwhile.

« Reply #73 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:34:05 am »
This was the inaugural edition, so no previous experience with the course.
The ride was seriously hard work; the heat and UV intensity was off the scale. Makes Miglia1001 look like a cake walk [and I have done all four editions].
5 Days was a big ask; sleeping at controls was a bit rough, with too much noise.
Some beautiful countryside and places along the way.
In hindsight, I'd say do it in 6 days, which would be a bit more civilised and within the 150hr BRM time limit.
Definitely no a course to race around; you really want to enjoy the scenery and locality!
Great epic Grand Tour in any case!

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
« Reply #74 on: 01 July, 2017, 04:15:19 pm »
Whoa! That was a tough one. I had made all my plans during the time of winter frustration and half a year ago it seemed like a good idea. Assuming about the same conditions as on 1001Miglia I planned for a five day trip and booked hotel and return flight accordingly. Like many others I got this seriously wrong. The five day schedule for this ride made for an extremely stressful experience on this route in this heat and wind in this traffic on these roads.

Initially I had meant to ride along with veloboy, but we were separated in the Via Appia chaos right after the start. I never saw him again on this ride until after the finish. From then on I was underway in varying constellations, with some riders from Audax Schleswig-Holstein, quite a lot on my own and from Letino on with a Norwegian and a couple of Italians.

The heat was really intense and the phrase “burning sun“ got a very palpable meaning. It felt like an insect sting that just wouldn't subside until I realised the cause of the pain and applied some more sunscreen. Later on in the ride the dry wind got worse day by day, drying out my thorax no matter how much I drank. I am now afflicted by a sore throat and have been coughing up muck like never before. Apparently my body wants to get rid of residual dirt of Southern Italy.

But what really got to me were the “roads“ and the traffic. Ankles, knees, wrists and bum had to cope with a ceaseless pounding, the circumnavigation of Naples being the low point. I had to ride about half of this section out of the saddle. In mostly congested conditions. At eleven on a Sunday night. I do not want to know what that was like on Monday morning. And the drivers... apart from the two or three near death experiences a day those people have some annoying habits. Along the route there were a large number of side roads and car park exits. And out of each and every one of these invariably a car would emerge as you passed it, every single time. And every one of these cars would move halfway into the road, such as to test if you were serious about your right of way or whether you might give it up for them. About ten percent chose to simply ignore you and just drove on. In every village or town, every hour every day. The low clearance passing has already been mentioned, at one control Julian remerked that quite a few of the cars had their mirrors folded back so they could move in even closer. I really grew tired of that and just wanted the whole thing to be over. The final stretch back into Rome was a fitting conclusion to the whole affair, intense rush hour traffic on bumpy, narrow, crowded roads. HGVs shooting past within inches and that was only because you happened to be on the side strip at the time. Anything but triumphant.

As is common after these rides the exhaustion and sleep deprivation take their toll, general recollection is sketchy at best. Consequentially a fair and thorough assessment of the 999Miglia will have to wait for a few weeks. For the time being I am just glad I got through alive, even in reasonably good condition. I cannot recall any real fun bits and am not sure if I even want to visit that part of Italy again. But there were also good moments. Like the woman in Tricarico who got out her way to lead me to the control with her car as I was standing helplessly bowed over my GPS unit. The friendly helpers and the excellent local craft beer at the Melfi control which I had exclusively to myself for the entire duration of my sleep stay. The incredibly friendly staff at Montescaglioso who fed me, got me into the shower and handled my drop bag for me. And many others of that kind. Like when I was climbing out of Athena Lucana in a state of extreme desperation and suddenly the traffic got less, the air got cooler and fresher and entering the Basilicata this turned out to be a somewhat friendlier region.

I concur with my fellow riders, if you want to attempt this make no mistake, it will be some of the toughest stuff you ever try and tackle. Do not make my mistakes. Cutoff time was 13 hours on Saturday, so book your return on Sunday, not Friday, and get some leeway for an easier day in the middle or some hotel nights. Use the full time available and try to have some more fun.

As I am typing this I am sitting in Calfosch trying to recover enough for tomorrow's Maratona. After that I will definitely need some rest, worrying over LEL will have to wait for a few days.