Author Topic: Disc only, tubeless ready rims for 28c  (Read 2979 times)

Disc only, tubeless ready rims for 28c
« on: 02 November, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »
I'm looking to start assembling the components to upgrade my kinesis 4s disc bike from rim to disc.

Currently I'm keeping an eye out for suitable rims.

I want fairly wide rims with around 19mm internal width that are disc specific and are tubeless ready, to give me that option in the future.

I'll be using 28c tyres and may possibly go wider in the future, if the frame allows it.

Something reasonably light would be good and I'll probably go 32 hole front and rear.

Looking more to the budget end, something like kinlin maybe.

What would you recommend?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Disc only, tubeless ready rims for 28c
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2016, 05:15:41 pm »
I'm entirely happy with my Stan's Notubes Grail rims.

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:04:45 pm »
Dt swiss r460 db. 700c

£24 from one of the German retailers

http://www.starbike.com/en/dt-swiss-r-460-disc/?currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJkYjhKs_dULpjoV3JaOjkKOEoTxImlQ3OIhihd3rMEhoC_vjw_wcB

Can't go wrong at that - otherwise Kinlin 22T or 31T with unused brake tracks, or H Plus Son Archetype (which is only anecdotally tubeless compatible)

Mike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »
H Son Archetypes need a rim strip to work with tubeless tyres

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »

No one told me that. Must admit, I never really liked the internal profile for tubeless. Exal LX17 is better.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2016, 11:40:38 pm »
Thanks for that, the DT r460 sounds  like exactly what I'm after.

Now do I go 28/32 front/back or 32/32...

Sent from my P7 using Tapatalk

Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2016, 11:51:15 am »

No one told me that. Must admit, I never really liked the internal profile for tubeless. Exal LX17 is better.

Mike

Archetype have a very bad profile for tubeless, almost the worst.  You can get them inflated but you are relying on pressure alone to hold it together unless you add lots of tape and rim strips.  Pull the tyre over or away from the sidewall and it will 'burp' very easily, a simple pothole edge while cornering might do it.  A burp at road pressures is potentially dangerous as you will lose a lot of the pressure almost instantly and that will lead in this case to further pressure loss as the tyre would no longer be held securely.   

I run tubeless on almost everything, converted lots of rims and tyres over the years, but rims with profile like archetypes are not worth the hassle or risk.

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2016, 12:03:17 pm »
Thanks for that, the DT r460 sounds  like exactly what I'm after.

Now do I go 28/32 front/back or 32/32...

Sent from my P7 using Tapatalk

I bought the dt r460 on the recommendation of wheelsmith website, as of best value for money. Bargain price from starbike sealed it.

Observations after 2 weeks of use are:

Builder said rim is very strong.
Non-eyeletted, so spokes may bed in and need a retrieval
Tyres went on exceeding easily and sealed straight away.
Am using 32mm tyres....cornering seems very stable.

I reckon they are the same rims used on my DT Swiss R23 Spline DB wheels.

No regrets at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »
Thread resurrection:

I am contemplating tubeless rims for touring/commuting/general use.  700x28s, mostly.  Maybe 32.  36 hole by preference, but could do 32 hole, I guess.

Tyre suggestions also gratefully received.  I have been looking at Schwalbe One (strong brand loyalty), but they don't seem very disposed to touring.
Getting there...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »
Are the new Mavic Open Pro UST Disc rims available yet?

« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »
Thread resurrection:

I am contemplating tubeless rims for touring/commuting/general use.  700x28s, mostly.  Maybe 32.  36 hole by preference, but could do 32 hole, I guess.

Tyre suggestions also gratefully received.  I have been looking at Schwalbe One (strong brand loyalty), but they don't seem very disposed to touring.

Ones are no good for touring. They are race tyres. There may be other Schwalbe tubeless that are tougher.

I've got some Hutchinson Sector 32 (cheap from Wiggle) that seem pretty robust.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:13:55 pm »
there is a marathon supreme tubeless tyre, that seems to be up for your requirements.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:44:33 pm »
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that.  And the Almotion, but they both seem to be in 35-37 profiles :(
Getting there...

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:41:51 am »
I've used schwalbe one for touring and general/ non racing use because they are the only ones apart from Hutchinson which I don't trust as I once fell off on an alp with them. Was probably going too fast in the wet but even so. I have noticed the rear spin on only slightly muddy accents out of the saddle in the UK as well.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
I've used schwalbe one for touring and general/ non racing use because they are the only ones apart from Hutchinson which I don't trust as I once fell off on an alp with them. Was probably going too fast in the wet but even so. I have noticed the rear spin on only slightly muddy accents out of the saddle in the UK as well.

Sorry, for the hard of understanding (me) does that mean you DO use schwalbe one, or you don't?
thanks!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:06:47 pm »
Hutchinson Sector 28s. Haven't punctured them in over 3 years of use including mild off road.

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:11:36 pm »
Are the new Mavic Open Pro UST Disc rims available yet?
There are certainly some around as a friend in the Pyrennees bought a pair two days ago. That is of course very close to their source so he may have had some advantage there.

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2017, 08:50:02 am »

Sorry, for the hard of understanding (me) does that mean you DO use schwalbe one, or you don't?
thanks!

Sorry, yes I do use schwalbe one.
"The only ones apart from Hutchinson which I don't trust"
On retrospect sounds a bit confusing, should possibly be punctuated as
"The only ones, apart from Hutchinson - which I don't trust"
i.e. it's Hutchinson that I don't trust