Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37581 times)

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #75 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:14:50 pm »
From the Winterborne Whitechurch control on FB:

We had another great time manning the control at Winterborne Whitchurch.
It was great to see some familiar faces and lovely to meet some new ones, 'hats off' to you all after that cold rainy night.
Look forward to seeing you all again, its always a pleasure and a privilige
Shelly-Anne and Neil  :thumbsup:

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #76 on: 02 May, 2017, 10:28:33 pm »
What can I say about this year's Porkers 400.
Well it was as tough an event as you would ever want to do.
You knew before hand it was going to be hilly and the forecast predicted quite a few hours of rain. So you prepare for it. Right! Not always. After all it's only a 400km. How bad can it be.
Well it did rain and we all got wet. But then again there were plenty of hills to climb which kept you warm. One balances the other out. Happy days.
Then it gets dark and misty and it's not so easy to see the roads, gravel and potholes and you have to descend with caution. It's no time to fall off. You slow down and you get a bit colder. It was at times like this that the thought of a control in a lovely warm village hall with lots of hot food and friendly faces keeps you going. It might have only been 60km between the three night control but I really did need them, and I'm sure they were greatly appreciated by all the riders.
At the Beaminster shop we all stood around shivering and were soon on our way. At the night controls I charged my Garmin and put on all the clothes I had with me. I ended up with 2 vests, 2 jerseys and 2 jackets and was just about warm enough, because everything was soaking wet. My hand and feet were like prunes even though I had brought what I though was the best gear for the conditions, it was still tough going. Luckily I had Rumps, Smeth, Postie and Kev for company and we all kept going till the morning sun brought a bright new day. Monday was lovely compared to hardship of the previous night's epic battle.
So thanks to all those involved in helping run this event and well done to all those who made it round.
Alan (South Western Road Club)

South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #77 on: 02 May, 2017, 11:04:39 pm »
Has anyone seen that post-apocalyptic feature film staring Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper?  2017s Sunday Hog Roast was like that but without boats.

Great controls which kept us all going.  One kind controller even helped me off with my wet gloves and un-waterproof jacket!  This ride represented the true spirit of audax at all levels and at all times

Thanks to the Mighty John Banks and the Unstoppable GPS For you companionship,  support and humour.

JX

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #78 on: 02 May, 2017, 11:46:01 pm »
Has anyone seen that post-apocalyptic feature film staring Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper? 

At least Costner had gills :)  (and webbed feet).

WyOwyvern

« Reply #79 on: 05 May, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Porkers all done and dusted; provisional results posted and cards en route to validation secs. :thumbsup:

Brimstone next.  :-\ 27th May  :-\

1st Control at Amport:  needed: a person of erudite bent to record our knights errant of the way passing through.  ???

So, please, if there is a willing helper with a couple of hours to spare in the Andover area who would like to take breakfast at The Hawk and exchange banter with the riders, perhaps he/she would be kind enough to contact me. Cheers.  :thumbsup:

WyOwyvern

« Reply #80 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:11:34 am »
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

One volunteer stepped forward,

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thank you AP!

;D

WyOwyvern

« Reply #81 on: 13 May, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »
 :hand: Brimstone 600 entry now closed. :hand:

Route sheets printed and on their way.

WessexSR website updated.

Weather?  8) Who knows . . . here's hoping  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #82 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »
Is it true?  Are we going up Draycott again.  The first hill in 7 years to reduce me to the walk of shame?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Smeth

« Reply #83 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:45:38 pm »
There is no shame. Only preservation of the knees. Pretend you stopped to allow a fixie to tack like I did last year

« Reply #84 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:15:36 pm »
You'll be fine. It's only 400k into the ride. ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #85 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:07:12 pm »
You'll be fine. It's only 400k into the ride. ;D

It was the same distance last time.  However, I'd ridden that 400km in company of Swiss Hat and Veloboy, so that might have been a reason why I had two strings of jelly attached to my hips by the time I got to Draycott. 

I did get up it a couple of years ago after 140km and it was very much a matter of grin and bear it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #86 on: 16 May, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »
Draycott - Perhaps the most evil hill I have encountered  :demon:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #87 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:28:29 am »
I hope that fellow Brimmers are not referring to the true definition of Draycott as 'drunken kissing for more than 15-minutes'? (I shit you not).  The last time I approached this stairway to Hell I laughed with fear - And it has no mention in any of those 'toughest climb on a  bike books' or any of those ' Mountain Climbs in Wessex ' books come to think of it..?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #88 on: 22 May, 2017, 08:38:41 am »
Are there any blankets at the Priddy control? Not implying there should be, but wondering whether to bring anything along or do we rely on the heat generated from Draycott Hill?

« Reply #89 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:38:39 am »
In the same spirit as JonB's question, are there sleeping mats at Priddy or would it be wise to carry one?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #90 on: 23 May, 2017, 01:08:20 pm »
In the same spirit as JonB's question, are there sleeping mats at Priddy or would it be wise to carry one?

I know I slept last year, but I can't remember if I was on anything, or under anything, I just remember being very tired, lying down... background village hall noise... and then waking up.

I think whatever the arrangements, they'll be spartan, and stretched by what looks like it's going to be a big field: if you'd rather sleep on a mat, I reckon it'd be wise to carry one.

« Reply #91 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:37:01 pm »
if you'd rather sleep on a mat, I reckon it'd be wise to carry one.

Thanks for the response Andrew. I've just got my camping mat down from the loft, and it is not as light as I had imagined. I'll ponder some more, and may just hope there'll be somewhere comfortable to sleep late on when I get to Priddy ... or just grab however much sleep I can and then snooze in the sun later on.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

JonB

« Reply #92 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
I know I slept last year, but I can't remember if I was on anything, or under anything, I just remember being very tired, lying down... background village hall noise... and then waking up.

I think whatever the arrangements, they'll be spartan, and stretched by what looks like it's going to be a big field: if you'd rather sleep on a mat, I reckon it'd be wise to carry one.

Thanks Andy, I shall ponder something to sleep in/on

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #93 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »
It's the Brimstone.  What's wrong with a pannier for a pillow and a floor for the legs.  They'll hurt enough anyway.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #94 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:20:38 am »
Its 2013 since I last did a Brimstone, but I'm up for it again now....

Like most things in life, the route seems to have transmogrified somewhat, and my initial bemused starings at the route sheet have identified that we no longer start at the Queen Mary Inn (where I was lucky enough to have a room!).

Also I see that the most convivial chat chez Drew, at the top of the Draycott climb, is no more, possibly due to the ever increasing number of riders.. I remember the hill quite well, which for me is unusual to say the least, because a group of us ended up riding up someone's drive near the bottom, and after we found the actual road someone in front of me came to a grinding halt, stopping me too.  I recall being unable to restart without the help of one of those yellow plastic grit thingies - I managed to prop the bike and myself against it, whilst clipping both feet in and holding on, and then braving all for an initial Hail Mary, and getting going again....

Priddy will be fun and is now a regular haunt, though has sad memories of a departed friend - RIP Charlie...

The 2013 ride was also my first visit to the Summer Cafe in Malmesbury, but I've since been there at least 20 times, on various lesser audaxes !!

Anyway, the point of my post is to ask if anyone has already got a GPX done with the new controls and infos?  I am always happy to work my way through a new route using google maps street view, and common sense, so will start to amend my previous anyway, but I'd rather peruse the whole thing in order, than just look at the changes !!

Good luck everyone

Mikey

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

JonB

« Reply #95 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:07:15 am »
Mikey,

The GPX files are on the Wessex SR site, they're split by stage so start/end at all the main controls.  You can then get an estimate of where the infos are using the route sheet but it's hard to be certain until you get the brevet card.

« Reply #96 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:18:18 am »
For what it is worth , I took a light blow up mattress last year and was very glad of it. But then I am soft. The additional and not insignificant benefit was that  I could gloat about if for several hours on the sunday morning  with Sloth and Parky, which completely justified the decision. But then I am snide as well as soft.

Smeth

« Reply #97 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
For what it is worth , I took a light blow up mattress last year and was very glad of it. But then I am soft. The additional and not insignificant benefit was that  I could gloat about if for several hours on the sunday morning  with Sloth and Parky, which completely justified the decision. But then I am snide as well as soft.
I bought the same model for Scotland on the basis of that gloat. Not soft, it's panache.

« Reply #98 on: 24 May, 2017, 12:46:13 pm »
Smeth ,that comment might get you a panaché on sunday

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #99 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:35:07 pm »
I tried the web link from AUK, but got a 404 not found...

Still the kind JB has linked me in to the routes now 👍👍👍
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388