Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37572 times)

Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #100 on: 26 May, 2017, 08:31:19 am »
Its nearly time :thumbsup:

« Reply #101 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:17:07 am »
nicely put.
see you in the morning.

« Reply #102 on: 26 May, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »
Arriving in Poole just before 6pm;
Will be liquid carbo-loading somewhere that serves real ale  :thumbsup:
Do feel free to join if in the area!  ;D
Will be trying out the new salubrious Trsvelodge next to the station.

« Reply #103 on: 26 May, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
V-B
Parky and I are not arriving in Poole until late. But Paul Alderson and another club mate will be there earlier. We are all staying at the TL.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #104 on: 26 May, 2017, 07:16:23 pm »

See you all tomorrow!

I'll have my tracker running here bit.ly/27Z5BcZ popping a dot on the map every couple of minutes. not done much since the Porkers, so I'll be taking it steady, and keeping my fingers crossed.

Looks like the weather will be pretty good  :thumbsup:

« Reply #105 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:27:19 pm »
Good luck all, see you at Lake Shearwater Cafe.

« Reply #106 on: 27 May, 2017, 06:10:21 pm »
Enjoyed my ride out to Amport this morning to greet riders at the first control. Most were going well, a few punctures and wrong turns delaying some. The staff at The Hawk were lovely, almost as nice as the lads in the market square in Andover earlier on: 'you'll have a sandwich and a tea, won't you?'; 'POUND!'; 'cor, ain't it cheap?', etc.

The promised sun had only briefly shown itself before going back behind thick cloud, though most seemed relieved. I enjoyed a tour of some of North Wessex's finest pubs for afters.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #107 on: 28 May, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
Please tell me another cycling group was using the Lakeside control yesterday and that this is not AUK riders on a WessexSR event:

Good Morning Shawn

pleased to say that all your cyclist are now through, but on a more annoying note, we were pretty annoyed with the lack of respect and consideration for others from some of you're members!! parking their cycles all over our patio causing massive trip hazards for our staff on what was a very busy day anyway. one guy even decided it was appropriate to carry out repairs on the patio and when I asked him to move somewhere else he just carried on. They left crap and litter all over the place, stuffed into gaps on the tables, all over the floor! Animals!. There were 4 cycles parked around one of our 8 seater tables putting it out of action for other customers to use! there was a cycle parked in the entrance to our private quarters blocking it for our waitresses! all in all a bunch of inconsiderate selfish and disrespectful idiots!

If this is how we are to be treated then we would rather you went elsewhere in future.

D

A profuse apology has been offered.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #108 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:03:15 pm »
That is horrible!
I think there have been similar issues on other rides.
Oh dear!

ETA LEL thread ... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=99727.msg2085894#msg2085894

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #109 on: 29 May, 2017, 12:31:53 pm »

Sorry to read that. Thinking back I don't think anyone did anything different from usual, I suspect it was just that there was a lot more of us – so problems that were run of the mill and tolerable before, became noticeable – and then really annoying – this year. Probably exacerbated by the tail wind for the first leg which kept the field together more than usual. If he'll have us back it should be easy enough to resolve the issues by parking bikes on the grass, and letting everyone know to clear up their stuff, and be a bit more helpful.

It was a really great event, the weather was lovely, new and familiar faces, seeing you at Beaminster and Tony at most of the other controls, including Priddy (which had an awesome kitchen system going – delivering perfect audax food in the blink of an eye.)

5th one for me: the route as beautiful as ever, I find I see so much more each time.

Thanks again for organising,
andrew.
PS we were *SO* lucky with that rain – 20 minutes after  control closing it was hammering with rain – I hope there wasn't any shattered out-of-time riders out in it!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #110 on: 29 May, 2017, 01:44:14 pm »
Thanks again Shawn and all your crew.  And for the company Graham, the SWRCs and others. Although I've got a bit fitter across three series I'm now finishing later. Maybe I've now got the point. In one weekend we had glorious Wessex plus camaraderie, solitude, kindness, generosity, determination, pain, bravery, pride. A comment I recall from an unknown fellow rider."How on earth do you plan a route to stay in those amazing lanes for most of 600k?"      Quite.

« Reply #111 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »
Thanks again Shawn and all your crew.  How on earth do you plan a route to stay in those amazing lanes for most of 600k?"     

Me is the bubbly version of this at the arrive.

Amazing, 600 km and all in lanes! And then Shawn called my 5min kip on a bench old school!

Toni especially helped in assuaging my doubts. Thank you.

And Parky for the factor 50 after Malmesbury.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #112 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »
And Parky for the factor 50 after Malmesbury.

No problem Fussballclub. We got to look after ourselves.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #113 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:52:32 pm »
Please tell me another cycling group was using the Lakeside control yesterday and that this is not AUK riders on a WessexSR event:

Good Morning Shawn

pleased to say that all your cyclist are now through, but on a more annoying note, we were pretty annoyed with the lack of respect and consideration for others from some of you're members!! parking their cycles all over our patio causing massive trip hazards for our staff on what was a very busy day anyway. one guy even decided it was appropriate to carry out repairs on the patio and when I asked him to move somewhere else he just carried on. They left crap and litter all over the place, stuffed into gaps on the tables, all over the floor! Animals!. There were 4 cycles parked around one of our 8 seater tables putting it out of action for other customers to use! there was a cycle parked in the entrance to our private quarters blocking it for our waitresses! all in all a bunch of inconsiderate selfish and disrespectful idiots!

If this is how we are to be treated then we would rather you went elsewhere in future.

D

A profuse apology has been offered.

My apologies for (as controller) not having been more on-the-ball about this, especially as I know that Dave (the proprietor, who is excellent) is rightly sensitive to matters of this sort, on behalf of his customers and staff. With a bit more thought I could have stopped problems developing. I left thinking that we/I had done ok. Wrong!

I had the impression that there were always tables still available, though I wasn't concentrating on that situation.
Dave and his (also excellent) staff had been extremely busy for a very long previous day, but they weren't letting it show.
Our collective fault at not clearing further out of the way when asked was a bad one - eg the tyre-repairer did move, but really yards were needed rather than inches!
Bikes probably weren't parked quite as outrageously as the above suggests... but it's something that many of us need to watch.
I didn't notice litter - and as a fully over-sensitized litter-phobic I would have expected to. (I'd already restrained myself from picking up a few bits from around the site.) So I hope the litter was not us. Anyway, I'll take a bag for the purpose next time.

All the riders were wonderful - thankyou!

Agree about the Priddy Kitchen Crew - superb! (I was admiring from a distance, having grabbed an easy chair and the Official Stamp.)

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #114 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:39:43 pm »
My apologies for (as controller) not having been more on-the-ball about this, especially as I know that Dave (the proprietor, who is excellent) is rightly sensitive to matters of this sort, on behalf of his customers and staff. With a bit more thought I could have stopped problems developing. I left thinking that we/I had done ok. Wrong!

I had the impression that there were always tables still available, though I wasn't concentrating on that situation.
Dave and his (also excellent) staff had been extremely busy for a very long previous day, but they weren't letting it show.
Our collective fault at not clearing further out of the way when asked was a bad one - eg the tyre-repairer did move, but really yards were needed rather than inches!
Bikes probably weren't parked quite as outrageously as the above suggests... but it's something that many of us need to watch.
From what I remember of the situation at Lake Shearwater, things were never that bad. I wish someone had a photo of the place to show better what it was like.
I have to admit that I was one of the cyclists that leant my bike up around the 8 seater table. So when I went to order some food inside, and then fill up my bottle at the toilet, it looked like we had monopolized that seating but there were still plenty of other places to sit. Then when I came back I did sit there. A sort of towel on sun lounger maneuver. 
As more riders turned up there was less and less space to lean your bike, as many riders don't like to lean their own bikes against someone else's, just incase they damage/ scratch someone's pride and joy. I did hear the proprietor ask some cyclist they could lean their bikes against a hedge, which they must have thought was a bad idea, and it probably was. I think it would have been better if Dave, the proprietor, had dealt directly with you Tony, as then you would have been able to direct us to where we should leave our bike, while you checked our brevet cards.
It would be a shame to lose this establishment as I have had good food and service there every time I have visited.
We must all do our bit to be more considerate in future. No bike maintenance please.
Alan
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #115 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:36:50 am »
I enjoyed the Brimstone.  I started off with HughKnud from my Easter Arrow team but it was clear that he and a few others had climbing legs likes ones I've never had and to follow would be to reach Beaminster with two pieces of jelly attached to my hips and a hunger knock the size of Big Ben, so I settled back into the other half of the front group that had led out of Poole.  This group of four stayed together for the whole event, which is always much more fun.  Hills came and went, the sun broke through, the scenery was brilliant.  I didn't notice anything untoward at Crockerton, but its a timely reminder to always be polite and careful.  I found myself muddling up bits of route from the Hard Boiled and the Brimstone in my head which led to a little bit of uncertain navigation, there must be an appropriate phrase for this as I am sure an 'attack of the Dorsets' has probably been appropriated for something else.

There was a decent head wind to Exmouth so I decided to battle against it until it got tired, which it duly did when we reached the turn, so it had no energy to blow us back, but before that we all those exceptional hills: long and seventy changes of gradient out of Beaminster, steep in the town so everyone can see how slowly you ride in Charmouth, one hill and four changes of road in Lyme Regis (no chance of getting a run up, Chris), long horrible and headwinds at the top in Colyton, and finally Peak Hill in Sidmouth to put fear into the hearts of those from 'up north' when it gets used for the National Hill Climb championship.  At least I'd ordered an omelette and chips in Beaminster.

I usually hang out at the Tesco petrol station in Exmouth, but Sarah suggested going to main store, which proved to be a stroke of genius, not because of the greater range of food but because we could sit in the sunshine rather than the rather chilly wind tunnel by the petrol station.  The next section was truly Wessex, threading through lanes that look like they have no right to exist, threading their way inexorably to the summit of the Blackdown Hills, and a magnificent sunset between the trees.  We were all still in good form as we worked our way to Taunton Deane services.

I should have gone to McDonalds rather than venturing the tuna and cheese melt from Costa coffee, which was truly horrid.  Having not eaten enough the next stage was a struggle.  (When asked what the hardest bit of this ride is, I always say the Somerset levels) and we crawled across to Draycott, taking over 3 1/2 hours for the stage.  Chris and Sarah had husband and wife rivalry to get themselves up Draycott.  Neil and I had no such inspiration and so we got to the extra-stupidly-steep bit half way up and stopped.  I was so confused that I though Neil was Chris and referred to him that way all the way to Priddy (and didn't know until he corrected me at the finish).

The volunteers at Priddy did an exceptional job.  I had a bowl of peaches and rice before sleeping. Having got cooked on the way up Draycott my clothes were wet with sweat and after an hours sleep, I got cold.  I got up and ate some breakfast but my group were all asleep.  Someone lent me a sleeping bag and I got a second hour of exceptional sleep and was bright and ready to go at 6.30am. 

We wended our way through the Mendips and soon had to take a layer off.  Given how humid it was I went down to shorts and a short sleeved top (which was my rig for 7 of the 9 stages).  Last time I did this section it was with a vicious tummy bug courtesy of cows##t near Sherborne.  So it was great to spin round the lanes without my stomach spinning.  Quite a few of them had been resurfaced, presumably against the organiser's wishes.  It all helped my mood and the long miles from Acton Turville to Malmesbury passed quickly, for long awaited Eggs Benedict or Farmhouse Breakfasts. 

We continued to make good time until the Avon Gorge section and the spectacular lanes between Bathford and Hinton Charterhouse, coming up with several suggestions for the answer to the info control.  The highlight for me was remembering that Keep L to T where R on the route sheet means turn straight up a 25% hill on a blind T-junction.  That was one time when my wisdom from previous events was well appreciated and avoided much wailing and gnashing of gears. 

The almost ubiquitous Tonyh was stamping cards at Mells, having already done duty at Crockerton and Priddy (chapeau Tony, I will get to do all the Whitchurches sometime).  Sarah suggested that we just get some food from the store, rather than the crowded and stuff cafe) so lunch in my case was eccles cakes, peanuts, chocolate milk, and water.  The weather was closing in and it felt like we would get a storm, but all we got was some light rain around Shaftesbury.  One heavier burst prompted the donning of rain jackets, but then it stopped and after that we just ignored the rain and carried on.  One last touch of Wessex lanes after Shaftesbury (not wide enough for most cars, littered with mud stones and other rain debris) and one last hill (Fontmell Magna) were despatched.  Perhaps to put Draycott out of my head I sprinted up the last bit of the hill out of Fontmell Magna, knowing that there were no further serious obstacles.  We had one last short snack stop and rolled into Poole at 6.25pm.

It was a very un-epic epic, great scenery, great roads, great people, no mechanicals, just the sort of thing that brings me back to do events like this time and time again.  Thank you Shawn and all the other helpers for putting this on year after year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #116 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:31:36 am »
That was a serious ride with such delightful routing and control points at just the right intervals.

The most memorable event for me was rounding a corner in the middle of nowhere at about 2:30am to see a warlock and witch walking towards us but on the other side of the road, each holding a long staff with an orb on top, with the flames dancing around. They were not in sight for long, but with 5 bright bike lights from our group and a passing car lighting up the scene, their image has stayed with me. If I hadn't been with other cyclists, I think this sight would have been put into the non-real category.

I didn't rock up to Priddy until 5:40am, by which time it was light and I wasn't feeling tired. So rather than lay down I opted for as much food as I could manage (which wasn't that much really), and then headed off once more. About half an hour later I was overcome by tiredness, but then a bench in the morning sunshine that I had been hoping for appeared, and I got a 10 minute snooze which was just perfect. Then by chance, just as I had de-layered and was ready to set off, Andrew and Justin (ACH) appeared around the corner and I was back with the group I had been cycling with for much of the ride, with Simon (ACH) and the Scottish/Irish rider (whose name I forgot to ask) just up the road.

The last section was a bit of a drag, and thanks to Andrew for pacing me a lot of the time. Arrived at the Queen Mary with 30 minutes to spare, although spent 10 of those minutes sorting the brevet card out and ordering food before they closed the kitchen.   

The whole experience was excellent. A huge thank you to Shawn for organising and running the event, and to all the helpers at the other controls who brought humour and cheery banter to the mix, amongst keeping a gaggle of cyclists validated and fed. I found Lake Shearwater to be very helpful and efficient. I checked the photo I took, and there was only 1 bike that I could see on the decking at that time. 

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #117 on: 30 May, 2017, 02:11:51 pm »
Excellent Ride, good controls - Priddy was fantastic. Thanks to the controllers as well , always nice to get encouragement. The other riders I've meet along this SR were always cheerful and look forward to perhaps meeting on LEL. Talking of which after the Porkers and indeed this SR has got at least my mind and body in a good shape , just got to keep on rolling til July.

My bike was a bit naughty two puncs , loose spoke , broken light bracket ( thankfully on Sunday) loose bottle mount and nearly lost a cleat fitting ( technically not bike but you know what I mean) . But it was new , so of baptism of fire regarding a bedding in period!!!

« Reply #118 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
As ever Shawn thanks for putting on such a great event. Those roads do not get any easier but they still give just as much fun. At least this Wessex ride I did not need to put two copies of the Racing Post down my jersey at Beaminster. And I now know how to pronounce that town's name as well .
Please give our thanks to all your helpers. They really go above and beyond the call and it is so appreciated by all of us. Tony H spent more time officiating that some riders spent riding. A Herculean effort. And just think of the state of some of your riders if they had to sit in the pub for more than 12 hours like you do...........

A snapped small front chain ring on the French Kissing climb or whatever it is called made the rest of that hill and Fontmell quite interesting. But still less than the fixed riders have to put up with all the way round I suppose.

Thanks also for the supportive and enthusiastic company of all those I rode with -especially Crazy ET for his work on the front  , Sam and Smeth . My club mates do not need any more thanks.

I think I have a photo of the tea rooms -I will dig it out. A real shame -they give us a great reception and I have a good  chat with them on all events. We were clearly at fault here -whatever the rights and wrongs of the detail.

« Reply #119 on: 30 May, 2017, 11:35:17 pm »

PS we were *SO* lucky with that rain – 20 minutes after  control closing it was hammering with rain – I hope there wasn't any shattered out-of-time riders out in it!

Thanks for the thoughtful words Andrew - certainly was a tough ride and huge thanks to Shawn and army of helpers who offered words of reassurance and encouragement. Sadly my companion for the ride had to bail at Taunton services with tummy trouble. But I dug-deep and ploughed on into the night with only route sheet to rely on at this stage as my phone (with mapping app) had died due to power-hungry GPS gobbling away the juice during the Taunton Services ordeal. The hot sunny morning made me dozy and after picking myself and bike out of a nettle-bed ditch I gladly collapsed in a nearby field and woke an hour later feeling totally refreshed. But the sleep had cost me dear and after clambering up to Priddy I was 22 minutes behind cut-off. No matter - the friendly team offered me the remains of breakfast, topped up my water bottles and made positive comments about my "proper bike" with down-shifters and toe-clips and were perhaps more assured than I was that I could catch-up some of the last riders to leave and complete within time.

But I had made a psychological shift to enjoy the fine weather, beautiful if lumpy countryside and well-planed route by shifting down a gear and just enjoying the journey without the time-pressures (which had effectively been lifted from my shoulders) and in that frame of mind I reached Malmesbury and enjoyed the finest eggs benedict and a mega-mug of strong team feeling more positive that I could now complete the ride in a nice steady pace.

Bathford was pretty brutal and I walked most of the way up the track through the woods which were delightful.  The descent was very welcome even if it was followed by more trekking up some further hills. By the time I reached Mells (after a further afternoon doze in another field) the shop had been closed for over an hour. A brief snack and then on I ventured. Shaftesbury came as a bit of a surprise - why build an entire town up a hill this steep? But rewarded by that delightful and presumably ancient lane than swept me rapidly away from the town and then back up a similarly sharp ascent before making some larger roads.

At 10:30 I stopped to make some phone calls - including Shawn to let him know that I was definitely a NNF! On the bike and then only a few minutes down the road and the heavens opened. I took refuge under a huge fir tree which had a completely dry patch of road beneath its dense foliage. I waited here for half-an-hour but the rain wasn't easing and I was starting to cool down. At Tarrant Gunville that rarest of things - an old-fashioned red phone box gutted of its phone glowed welcoming into the pitch-dark night. By now a proper storm was raging and despite a missing door handle I managed to prise open the door with  desperate snatching fingers and crouched down into a dripping heap on the dry crumbling concrete floor and fell into a deep reverie. The storm had abated when I awoke to the sight of a large spider repeatedly attacking a generously sized snail that was sliding down the panel such that its innards were unravelling about 4 inches from my horrified gaze. Storm or no storm, my time in the phone booth was rapidly coming to an end and I unravelled my cramped, damp body, leaned it away from the spiders web and pushed against the door until I dropped out a shivering wreck. After jumping up and down and making some desperate movements with arms and legs I had managed to stop shaking enough to ram some food down my throat, get back on my bike and pedal in the direction of Poole - merely 15km further down the road (and it was mainly down). I completed the ride, back-tracked to my car and collapsed in the drivers seat a damp and aching wreck at 02:23. It had been a long night.

Later the same day and back at home I met my cycling companion again who had come to collect his car and other bits and pieces. He was looking remarkably well and had even cycled to get to my place. Over a cup of welcome tea (I was still re-hydrating having lost 2kg during the ride) I shared my tale of that last half of the journey and it was clear that he was thinking "how the hell am I going to complete LEL in 100 hours riding with this guy?". Well, that's another leg of the audax journey  for another day.

Brimstone lived up to the pre-event welcome pack perfectly. Yes it was tough. I knew that it wasn't going to be easy as it was my first 600, I was totally new to Wessex (although have had a penchant for Hardy nurtured from an early age - and yes, parts of this ride can't have changed much since his day) and I'd also read the yacf reviews from previous editions and realised that if anything was going to prepare me mentally and physically for the middle section of LEL it was this ride. I may have been over 4 hours out of time but I was personally pleased that I'd gone deeper and pushed myself further to complete what I had started and vowed that one day I would be back for another chip at this old block.

Huge thanks to the Shawn and his crew. Sorry I didn't get to try out the full amenities at Priddy and a wonderful route - particularly the dry bits! I was given a power charger at Priddy as the crew believed me to be sufficiently able to make it to arrivee before cut-off. Just holler if you think it's yours (I think you can send an IM).

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #120 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:14:18 am »
Sounds like true grit LF and whatever the result this time that's the stuff that gets the big rides done. Shawn updated me that night so I knew you were soldiering on. Bravo. Glad S has recovered.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #121 on: 31 May, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
Sounds like true grit LF and whatever the result this time that's the stuff that gets the big rides done. Shawn updated me that night so I knew you were soldiering on. Bravo. Glad S has recovered.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Hear hear ! Great write-up and chapeau for soldiering on. I'd've given up (well before Priddy probably) and then missed the rest of the ride -which was quite an adventure by the sound of it. Excellent !!

« Reply #122 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:07:20 am »
Sounds like true grit LF

Yes indeed, well done and completed, and thanks for your account. I must have left my post at Mells just before you got there, and I wish I'd waited - would certainly have done if I'd known you were still on the road, but my phone wasn't getting any signal at Mells, and I'd left Priddy (for the short direct ride to Mells) before you'd got there.

Edit:   ....and, hooray for Hardy!

cgg

« Reply #123 on: 07 June, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
Good evening, I've finally gotten round to have processed the disposable camera I carried round the Hard Boiled this year. So please find a few pictures here. I hope you enjoy them and maybe they bring back some nice memories.

Thanks again Shawn and all the people I rode along with for one of my nicest, most memorable ride this year :)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #124 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:45:03 am »
Nice pictures cgg thanks for posting, I feature in no 4 smiling on the outside but suffering inside (digestion problems plagued me on that ride). It was a lovely day in stunning countryside and it was nice to ride with you on the Saturday morning for a few hours.