Author Topic: Which compact digital next?  (Read 12011 times)

Which compact digital next?
« on: 13 November, 2016, 11:30:30 pm »

My Nikon Coolpix P5100 has done sterling service since 2008, but has acquired a persistent bit of grot on the lens. After having at it with a cleaning kit and stopping just short of getting the brillo pad out, it looks like the grot is either on the inside of the lens or somewhere else entirely. I'd prefer it if it wasn't on all my photos, though!

I'm kind of game for opening it up and seeing if there's anything I can clean on the inside, but having poked around inside my previous camera after it went kaputt, I would very much like a Plan B in case I mess up. If I ended up breaking the camera or not being able to remove the grot, what should I replace the camera with?

After a quick look around $camera_shop in town, there doesn't seem to be an obvious successor from Nikon. Can anyone make some suggestions as to alternatives I might look at?

Main requirements:
Size matters - I need to be able to carry it in a pocket and/or barbag pocket. Current camera is "Approx. 98 x 64.5 x 41 mm (3.9 x 2.5 x 1.6 in.) excluding projections" - or these different dimensions in the photo from the same review - and that's probably a maximum limit.

I use the macro mode a lot and would want a replacement to be able to do decent close-ups.

It would also need to be able to do video with sound (I'm guessing this is fairly standard nowadays)

Interval timer and self timer functions come in very useful every now and again.

What do you reckon?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Which compact digital next?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2016, 12:20:55 am »
You'll get a stunning modern camera for the price you paid for the Nikon in 2008.

Something like a PANASONIC LUMIX TZ70 would be nice.

I use a Canon S120 which is a £150 bargain off Ebay. The S120 is small but amazingly capable.

BIGGER

If you spend the same as you paid for the Nikon, on a "Big Brand" camera (Nikon, Canon, Sony.....) then you'll get a great camera, it's hard not to get a nice camera for that money.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2016, 05:12:16 am »
Now the Panasonic Lumix LX10 has been released, the previous model Lumix LX7 is a bargain and still a great pocketable camera. If you want even smaller, the pocket Canons like the S95 and S100 are also great value, (slightly) older models that still deliver excellent results for the price.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2016, 07:17:01 am »
If you're looking for a just-about-the-same-spec camera, rather than seeing this as an upgrade opportunity, I have a barely used Canon SX130 knocking about that has only been used about 3 times since I acquired it in 2010....

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:09:33 am »
If the grot is relatively small and black on the photos, it's most likely a bit of muck on the sensor. There are sensor cleaning kits available for interchangeable lens cameras, where muck on the sensor is much more common, or you could try a blower, should you succeed in getting inside without damage.

Camera questions:
a) budget?
b) is the viewfinder on your Nikon important?

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:34:02 am »
The Canon SX710 HS has proved very good.  I bought it for the longer zoom (30x) as my Lumix LX7 was 12x. 

Here is a bald eagle at hand held full zoom, from the deck of a boat

a hump back whale, ditto but larger boat

and a boring close up of a roof

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2016, 11:43:45 am »
Thanks all,

I can't remember how much I paid for my current camera. I dropped its predecessor 48 hours before a big school project or something, so basically went into a shop, went "that one!" and ran out again  :facepalm:  ;D

So, budget-wise I'm not sure. I use it a lot for work, so it needs to be fairly decent, but it'll also go cycle camping too and is likely to be abused a fair bit. I could probably stretch to something in the £250 region, given that it's an investment in an essential bit of work kit. I'll want a second battery and a case etc, so I'm mindful that that'll push it up more, too.

Here is a bald eagle at hand held full zoom, from the deck of a boat

That's quite an impressive combination!

andrew_s: I don't think I've ever used the viewfinder on this camera!

CrinklyLion: I've been pondering the question about upgrading. I did find current model of camera going for not much on ebay, but wasn't hugely tempted, so I think that tells me I probably am looking to upgrade.

That said, I was looking at the Coolpix S7000 online last night which I think is a few years old, but looks like it might be a nice combination of upgrade and familiarity. Hmmmmm.

I had a super quick look at Lumixssss this morning, and, y'know, the feature I'm most attracted to is the grippy oojamaflip on the front! (For fumbling it out of a barbag and taking photos whilst pedalling)

I'll have a closer look at the suggested models etc when I'm back home this evening.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2016, 12:51:38 pm »
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »
andrew_s: I don't think I've ever used the viewfinder on this camera!
That makes things easier - the majority don't have one, and you won't miss what you never used.
(some people like them because bright light makes the rear screen harder to see; they are getting long sighted and can't see the screen close enough to properly check focus etc; they find they can hold that 30x zoom steadier braced against the face than held out in front; they just prefer a viewfinder)

the feature I'm most attracted to is the grippy oojamaflip on the front! (For fumbling it out of a barbag and taking photos whilst pedalling)
A very handy feature for a secure one-handed grip. Also useful is a bit of a bulge at top right rear for the thumb to brace against, ideally with a relatively button-free patch for the thumb.
Best judged by holding a real camera in a real shop.

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
*pulls up a chair*

About time we had another compact camera thread. I traded in a Panasonic Lumix for a Sony DSC-W830, seduced by a body half the size hiding nearly double the number of pixels. However, that proved to be a mistake as the few photographs I've taken with it are rather poor (I suspect a budget lens and, judging by the vignette on full aperture - too many pixels struggling with too little light). It's low on useful features and speed.

« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »
Having had a peruse of what's on offer at Jessops & WEX, I think I'd suggest a Lumix TZ60 or TZ70.
Both are similar in size to your Nikon - 110 x 65 x 35 mm

When I was considering such things, bolting the stable door after coming across a fairly tame family of otters when armed with a Fuji X100, I'd more or less decided on a TZ70 (the 3rd option was a Sony HX90), but before I'd got as far as buying, random conversation with my dad led to a camera swap - my Canon G11 for his TZ60.

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2016, 08:33:06 pm »
Nikki.   Just a comment - I was recently quoted £68 to remove sensor dust from a Panasonic TZ-70.   May be more than your camera is worth now but might save a bigger spend.    I struck lucky and found mine was still in 2 year warranty and had it cleaned f.o.c.

www.newtonellis.com

« Reply #12 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:50:04 pm »
I've had a bit of a look, and am so far warming to the idea of a Lumix TZ70.

JohnP, that repair place link you posted is inspiring more confidence in the Brum-based places I've found, so I'll probably ask for a cleaning quote from them. Thanks!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:39:06 am »
Mrs T42 is very fond of her Sony HX90v.  From what I've seen, image quality is excellent and the 30x zoom sharp.  Only drawbacks are that it has a small sensor (1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm)) and doesn't do raw files. I wouldn't mind one myself.

She carries hers when she's running, so it's not exactly a burden.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2016, 09:45:09 am »
Mrs T42 is very fond of her Sony HX90v.  From what I've seen, image quality is excellent and the 30x zoom sharp.  Only drawbacks are that it has a small sensor (1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm)) and doesn't do raw files.

The TZ70 has RAW capability.

I realise that most people will never use it BUT... it's worth trying to remind people that, if you recognise that you may be taking a special image, maybe a friend's wedding or an amazing landscape, it's worth switching your camera to JPG + RAW (So it captures image in both formats).  There's no obligation to ever use the RAW image but there's no downside to doing it really.

If it turns out that you captured a great shot then it's worth asking a friend, with lightroom ,,etc, to have a go at seeing what they can pull out of the RAW image.

In fact I use RAW+JPG the other way around.  I capture a RAW file first and foremost but also a small, 1920x1280, JPG that I can email or post to social media quickly.

« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:48:04 am »
Just phoned Newton Ellis. They could clean it for a reasonable price (they'd have to do a full strip-down to get to the sensor), but I'd have to do some serious express deliverying to get it back before I leave for Japan, which would probably push the price up into triple figures.

I asked if he could suggest a range to look at as a contemporary equivalent.
I think I'm about to start shopping around to find a good deal on a TZ70...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »
Hang on, isn't buying a camera for a trip to Japan a bit coals to Newcastle?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1QcjsjjtRc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/c1QcjsjjtRc&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/c1QcjsjjtRc

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2016, 03:52:23 pm »
I have a TZ70. It takes some splendid photos, but the lens cover has an annoying habit of not moving out the way every time I open it, and if I haven't remembered to push it out the way leaves a shadow at top & bottom of the photo. I should probably send it back under warranty, because I haven't had it very long - certainly less than 2 years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2016, 03:52:46 pm »

No.  They still make cameras in Japan.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »

No.  They still make cameras in Japan.

GPWM.

(I was referring to the one in Australia, obviously.)

« Reply #20 on: 16 November, 2016, 04:35:08 pm »
Cameras are not particularly cheap in Japan, especially with the current exchange rate, and most are no longer actually made in Japan but in other Asian countries. If you stop over in Singapore or other "duty free" shopping havens you'll find better prices.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21 on: 16 November, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
Mrs T42 is very fond of her Sony HX90v.  From what I've seen, image quality is excellent and the 30x zoom sharp.  Only drawbacks are that it has a small sensor (1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm)) and doesn't do raw files.

The TZ70 has RAW capability...

I had a TZ3 for years and loved it, then bought a TZ30 3 years back and was disgusted with the image quality - slow in operation and skies full of frogspawn at ISO 100. Since then I haven't considered the TZ series, although the TZ70 samples on DP Review do look a lot better now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 16 November, 2016, 08:46:13 pm »
If you need a compact in a hurry I can lend you my XZ1.  Then you don't have the stress of time for your repair.
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:04:52 pm »

If you need a compact in a hurry I can lend you my XZ1.  Then you don't have the stress of time for your repair.

Thanks Clarion but, for an extra £100 or so compared to the repair, I reckon I may as well buy a new one. I also reckon this sort of thing is probably what the contingency line in various project budget spreadsheets is for!

I went to the local Currys this afternoon and had a good ol' peruse of the functions of the TZ60 in lieu of playing with the TZ70 which they had but couldn't power up. Think I'll probably JFDI if I find myself near a branch with the silver version in stock later this week!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #24 on: 17 November, 2016, 03:58:05 am »
I bought myself a TZ60 for birthday present a couple months ago and love it; just right for better than phone but none of the hassle of lugging DSLR
I went for the 60 rather than 70, as it's slightly lighter, marginally better battery life (iirc), and has GPS geotagging. And it was going for a  steal.