Author Topic: Low Profile Mudguard Reflectors  (Read 8482 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Low Profile Mudguard Reflectors
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:38:25 pm »
What about the stuff made for lorries? Sticks on curtain siders so must have a bit of flex in it.

The non-diamond-grade stuff is fine.  I have it on all sorts of curved surfaces on my bikes (eg. cranks).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »
Although it seems that diamond grade often is what's used for ECE104.
http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/c-451-reflective-tape.aspx#.WJN9p44jHIU
Of course lots of lorries have flat, rigid sides.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:10:42 pm »
Proper approved reflectors aren't exactly heavy: why take the risk of legal problems? You can fit both red tape and an approved reflector.....

« Reply #28 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:50:38 pm »
Proper approved reflectors aren't exactly heavy: why take the risk of legal problems? You can fit both red tape and an approved reflector.....

Indeed, that's what I have on my commuting bike. Approved reflectors, BS (or EU equivalent) lights (backed up by others that aren't an official standard), and other reflectives.

(Yes, even pedal reflectors - Shimano PD-T400 Click'r pedals - double sided SPD and built in reflectors, not easily snappable click in ones which make the pedals single sided.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2017, 02:56:02 pm »
Proper approved reflectors aren't exactly heavy: why take the risk of legal problems?

Proper reflectors for clipless pedals can spoil the experience or limit choice, as can approved lights, and when I'm already illegal because of those things then I perceive any additional risk from lack of an approved rear reflector to be almost zero, so I don't bother to find and fit a suitable one.

Just answering the question, not encouraging anyone else to go without proper reflectors.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
Is there a forum-recommended supplier of small quantities of reflective tape, or is it (as ever) just a question of picking from ebay?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:07:59 pm »
Edited to add; below is in reply to zigzag, not jsabine's question

Do the reflectors work if rotated 90 degrees?

If so something like this?
https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-eclipse-oblong-motorcycle-safety-reflectors-red.html?gclid=CJnJuMajg9ICFWa77QodZ7sEFA
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »
Is there a forum-recommended supplier of small quantities of reflective tape, or is it (as ever) just a question of picking from ebay?

eBay was cheapest for cycle-related quantities last time I looked (accounting for postage as well).  Hopefully those who have bought recently will recommend particular items and sellers.  Quality (reflectivity) of unbranded products is very variable but can be what you want for thin and flexible stuff.  Stick to 3M Diamond Grade for applications where it can be stiff.

dim

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #34 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:34:20 pm »

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-eclipse-oblong-motorcycle-safety-reflectors-red.html?gclid=CJnJuMajg9ICFWa77QodZ7sEFA

thank you, but it would still sit away from the mudguard, as the mudguard is curved and the reflector is flat.

the ideal reflector would be of a similar shape, only curved to match mudguard's shape, with the optics inside oriented horizontally back, when the reflector is attached between 10 and 11 o'clock, if that makes sense.

Velo Orange:
https://www.veloduo.co.uk/products/velo-orange-grand-cru-polished-alloy-mudguard-reflector

thank you, i've already got similar ones, and it's not what i'm after

« Reply #35 on: 10 February, 2017, 12:23:33 am »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #36 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »

« Reply #37 on: 11 February, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »
We have applied some of the red reflective stuff that somebody here on the forum was selling a while back.  Bumper if I recall correctly?

Well, it is not very effective imo, certainly far less reflective at the patches on Ortlieb panniers, nor as good as the B&M reflectors built into their lights, nor as good as the reflectors built into Philips rear lights.

Every little helps but sometimes something just doesn't quite cut it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 11 February, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »

Probably not so well. They're usually tilted slightly to left and right, so if you rotate them 90 degrees they would no longer be vertical.

« Reply #39 on: 12 February, 2017, 12:07:06 am »

eBay was cheapest for cycle-related quantities last time I looked (accounting for postage as well).  Hopefully those who have bought recently will recommend particular items and sellers.  Quality (reflectivity) of unbranded products is very variable but can be what you want for thin and flexible stuff.  Stick to 3M Diamond Grade for applications where it can be stiff.

How stiff is Diamond Grade? Comparable to cereal box, removals box, stiff plastic? I get the impression from other posts it would be good to stiffen up otherwise flexy mudflap material - is that right?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #40 on: 12 February, 2017, 07:58:56 pm »
*has a feel of some DG*

Oh, it's more flexible than I was remembering - cereal-packet-like - but still it would add a little stiffness to a mudflap.  It may help to use 55mm rather than strips of 25mm.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 12 February, 2017, 11:17:40 pm »
I discovered yesterday that you can get retroreflective paints, made using microscopic glass beads, eg: http://www.glowtec.co.uk/reflective-paint-info.htm. I think that's the same principle as Scotchlight. What's more, it seems you can even get powder coating. So if you want, you can have your whole frame reflective, for a price. That would certainly give you night time visibility, though of course it wouldn't satisfy any regulations (at least not in the UK).

« Reply #42 on: 14 February, 2017, 01:29:37 pm »
*has a feel of some DG*

Oh, it's more flexible than I was remembering - cereal-packet-like - but still it would add a little stiffness to a mudflap.  It may help to use 55mm rather than strips of 25mm.

That sounds about right for what I want - thanks.

Having got some of Jurek's thin'n'flexy stuff this morning (thanks, Jurek!), I shall have a gander on ebay.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:52:52 am »
in the end i bought a set of mudguards (which i don't need) for a reflector. if anyone sees cateye rr-c1 sold individually, let me know as i need few more.

« Reply #44 on: 10 March, 2017, 02:05:34 pm »
Rigid plastic reflectors like that need to be fitted facing straight back - i.e. the face close to vertical.

The retro reflection falls off quite quickly once the angle between the light and the face gets further than about 15 degrees from square on. That's why there are 3 faces; to cover a wider horizontal angle.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #45 on: 10 March, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
the trick with this particular model is that it's designed to be mounted at 10 o'clock position while reflecting horizontally back - which is what i was after. the only way i would improve it (to suit my needs) is to make it narrower, i.e. get rid of the sides, and increase/extend the central part to about 2x12cm, so that it covers 10->11 o'clock section. the optics should obviously be oriented backwards along the whole curve. the above/below is the best i could find on the market so far..