Author Topic: New infrastructure, NCN422 Newbury to Windsor.  (Read 1506 times)

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
New infrastructure, NCN422 Newbury to Windsor.
« on: 10 March, 2017, 11:10:48 am »
Hope it's more than a grubby white line down the side of a very fast A road. I have little faith though, £5.7m over that distance is spread pretty thinly.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/20846/funding-confirmed-for-5-7m-newbury-to-windsor-cycle-path.html
http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/_resources/assets/attachment/full/0/373358.pdf

-B.

Re: New infrastructure, NCN422 Newbury to Windsor.
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:42:56 am »
The Eastern end of that is my stomping ground and the middle is a large part of my commute.

The earlier phases of the Reading - Wokingham route generally have consisted of removing the central ghost island of a three lane wide road and using the recovered space to lay a green tarmac strip down both sides as a cycle lane.

The short falls are at bus stops and where traffic may queue for right turns when vehicles encroach into the cycle lane and also at a few junctions where they have retained the right turn filter / refuge and the cycle lane disappears onto the pavement just when you want it most.

I look forward to seeing how they will link into the current network of cycle paths in Bracknell as if they choose to just follow the main road it will mean going over the top of the Hill by the Coppid Beach hotel for no good reason. However if they route via my preferred commute the rural roads are ok but the level crossing is due to be closed when the housing development completes the new southern distribution road.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2017, 06:20:21 pm »
The earlier phases of the Reading - Wokingham route generally have consisted of removing the central ghost island of a three lane wide road and using the recovered space to lay a green tarmac strip down both sides as a cycle lane.

The short falls are at bus stops and where traffic may queue for right turns when vehicles encroach into the cycle lane and also at a few junctions where they have retained the right turn filter / refuge and the cycle lane disappears onto the pavement just when you want it most.
So apart from the really shit bits, it's ok.

What more do you want?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:45:05 pm »

So apart from the really shit bits, it's ok.

What more do you want?!?
One of the worst bits is where it disappears back onto the previous shared footway which has a sign "cyclist watch out for driveways"  :hand: :facepalm: