Author Topic: Under kitchen cabinet LED strip lighting..?  (Read 1465 times)

Under kitchen cabinet LED strip lighting..?
« on: 31 March, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
Can anyone recommend Under Cabinet LED light units?  We've had some fluorescent T4 units (~600mm length) whose bulbs have now gone, and want to go to LED.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Under kitchen cabinet LED strip lighting..?
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:17:00 pm »
I'm loving the LED tape in aluminium profile from these people https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-strip-lights/led-profiles-extrusions.html. I used the 45o fitted to the front of the units behind the pelmet.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:22:06 pm »
I put in a new kitchen 18 months ago, and went for LED tape lighting, under and over the wall units.

Having researched the market, I avoided the cheapo stuff you can get off eBay and went for what my local electrical supplier recommended - from TLS.

It was maybe 3x the price that I could have paid, but it was dead easy to cut to the lengths I wanted, solder on new terminals and fit, it's stayed put (self adhesive tape) and not one LED has failed.  I'm really pleased. 

This really is a case of paying as much as you can afford for well made, reliable kit.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2017, 12:00:05 am »
Thanks both, what kind of power connections does the LED 'tape' have?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:32:21 am »

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:03:25 am »
The TLS tape has a copper disc about 3mm across on each track at intervals.  You cut the tape to length then solder on a connector wire to each track - you can connect together with chocolate block as its a 24V system.  You need 24V transformers too - all supplied.  The transformer has a limit to how many LEDS each will supply, I needed 2 transformers for 2 reels of tape IIRC.  Think the whole lot cost me about £150 for a 'normal' sized kitchen with 2 sets of wall units and 2 worktops separated by the cooker/hob and extractor fan unit - so I had essentially 2 separate LED installations.

I'm no electronics engineer but a normal soldering iron and some multicore solder and it was dead easy to do.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2017, 08:15:50 am »
These are a plug & play alternative and very effective:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html
No LEDs failed in the set I fitted 6 years ago. 
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:52:40 pm »
I bought some warm white LEDs from here
https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights.html

They came with a 12v transformer plug.  Simply cut to length (remember to order some extra wiring clips so you can re-use the bits you cut off), peel off the backing and stick them up.

It's a nice colour temperature and brightness.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.