Author Topic: Ikea are selling a bike!  (Read 4425 times)

Ikea are selling a bike!
« on: 01 April, 2017, 08:02:25 pm »
I see that Ikea are selling a bike and yes, it is flat pack!
It looks interesting, well as interesting as a city can be.  Aluminium frame with belt drive and 2 speed SRAM hub, disc front and coaster rear brakes with an eccentric for belt tension.  Available with a 26” or a 28” wheel.  The front and rear racks fit very neatly locating onto bosses and then held in place by set screws.  The frame split for the belt is particularly neat (it took a while to find it).  25 year guarantee on the frame and 10 years on the belt is very good.  Price is £350 and there is also a 2 wheel trailer for £130.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea-family-products/bicycle-bicycle-accessories/sladda-bicycle-grey-art-30326733/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Ikea are selling a bike!
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »
Is there going to be an outbreak of backwards forks?

Belt drive, though.  That's cool.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2017, 12:35:59 am »
I have seen on various places photos of the bikes. Safe to say if you are getting one, take it to you nearest LBS before riding.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
Sheldon on coaster brakes. The cons would put me off.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2017, 09:34:13 am »

Coaster brakes are fine for a town commuting machine.  I used one for many years.  Contrary to St Sheldon, pedal position on stopping is not a problem because you simply stop with the pedals in the right place as on fixed; they certainly do not preclude the use of toeclips etc;  they are not prone to skidding because you soon learn just how little backward pressure is needed.  A tool for the job, commuting not Alpine touring.  It looks a perfectly reasonable town bike to me.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2017, 09:53:59 am »
Is there a sheet of paper with a picture of a confused person on the phone to the shop, surrounded by dozens of bike parts and an Allen key?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:00:24 am »
I rode PBP03 on a Moulton Stowaway with a 2sp coaster brake. Apart from the near-40 year old spokes breaking every 200km on average, it was lots of fun. I'd have no concerns with riding a coaster brake, provided I have a front brake as well.

The Ikea with racks looks like a great bike, though I'd pick an Elephant Bike ahead of it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:11:09 am »

My Hetchins had a Sturmey Archer coaster hub on it when I bought it in 1971, the previous owner - who had had it built for him - only had one hand. I happily toured Britain and France with it, with that hub (which I still have somewhere). I did manage to lock it up on a French lane after doing an emergency stop after my baguette fell out my saddlebag - cue much hitting with a big stone!
I still use a coaster hub on one of my utility machines as they are simple, reliable, weather-proof and might possibly kill a thief.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:14:31 am »
I ride a coaster brake most days.  They're great in the rain and they need almost zero maintenance.  If you've ever ridden fixed, the lack of ability to back-pedal when stopped is something you're probably used to.  You can always do the fixer's trick, if you stop with the pedals in the wrong place, of locking the front brake, lifting the rear wheel and rotating the pedals to the best place for starting.

Generally I use the coaster brake for planned stops and the front V-brake for unplanned stops.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:17:50 am »
Coaster brakes is or was the norm on all the bikes i had and my friends had when a kid/teenager.

I loved my mum's 2 speed coaster brakes, at first it was a wee too big but I grew into it. As I was lazy regarding mending my own, I often used it to commute. And it was fun zooming past others on their 10 speeds.

Never had any problems with the dead spot when braking or that you changed gears when braking. You soon mastered the little kick back to change gear.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:58:00 am »
It looks good with the racks front and rear. I'd think that coming from Ikea it'll be significantly better quality than most supermarket bikes; and worth paying £349 for as opposed to £99 from Tesco!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 04 April, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
Some photos of the bike and showing off the IKEA mechanical skills ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 04 April, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »
Don't you assemble it yourself at home?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 04 April, 2017, 12:58:28 pm »
Presumably that's the display model.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 04 April, 2017, 01:02:05 pm »
Yes, I'm saying that unlike Halfords, the lack of bike-molishing skills in the staff is not a risk, for that reason. Though I suppose it's as much a warning of what will happen when people get it home as anything else.

« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2017, 05:12:33 pm »
Just seen a couple of examples in the Reading branch.  Not as badly assembled as Wolly's but not good, certainly not a good advertisement for them.  The hanging one had the forks backwards but the wheel correct and the one on the turbo trainer had a very loose adjustable stem and tyres so soft the turbo roller was pushing the tyre flat so the pedals wouldn't turn.  It answered a question I had about the position of the front brake lever - fitted on the right for UK spec bikes, thank goodness.

No trailers though which was a pity.

Ikea bike
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
Saw this in my inbox today. Seems pretty good utility bike for £349, and with some nice looking racks and trailer available too.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Ikea bike
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2017, 01:43:01 pm »
hmm a bike called Sladda, translated that means "to skid", does that refer to building quality ??'

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2017, 03:13:25 pm »
Automatic gears mentioned almost as an afterthought.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 19 May, 2017, 03:21:37 pm »

« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
I ride a bike with a coaster brake round town. They are reliable, work in the rain and brilliant if you have an arm in a sling or can't squeeze a brake lever.

That ikea bike looks a lot of bike for the money. Guards, racks, lights, belt drive for £350 quid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
I love belt drive! But only 2 speeds wouldn't suit and although I have used a coaster brake (in Amsterdam, a good place to try something like that for the first time, not)  I prefer a proper brake.  Still, I'd give it a go if my town bike (Trek soho) failed.

Move Faster and Bake Things

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »
I ride a bike with a coaster brake round town. They are reliable, work in the rain and brilliant if you have an arm in a sling or can't squeeze a brake lever.

That ikea bike looks a lot of bike for the money. Guards, racks, lights, belt drive for £350 quid.

The racks are extra (£20 each), and there's a pretty beefy looking trailer as well.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »
Mmm belt drive...