Author Topic: Removing protective film from glass panel in wooden door  (Read 4549 times)

Removing protective film from glass panel in wooden door
« on: 02 April, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »
I've just looked on youtube and the standard method appears to be to run a knife along the edges, then peel off. This seems weird to me as glass weakens when scored and scores easily, plus there's no way to know whether the protective film is being properly cut and so the edge might fray and look messy.

The is a Wickes door btw. Is there any other method, perhaps applying heat to make the film wrinkle and come loose?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Removing protective film from glass panel in wooden door
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2017, 03:37:42 pm »
Don't know.  But how about using a hair dryer on a small area in a corner to see what happens?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »
You need a diamond to score a glass panel. A steel knive won't do any harm. That's what I always do when I have to repaint sash frames. I never use any masking tape. I paint generously over the glass, and when the paint is dry, I cut along the edge with a knive, and scrape the paint with a flat blade.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2017, 06:59:14 pm »
Oh Moh!

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »
The is a Wickes door btw. Is there any other method, perhaps applying heat to make the film wrinkle and come loose?

It seems an incredibly stupid method of manufacture, to put the protective film on the glass before trapping it at the edges for ever more.

I agree with The French Tandem, you won't get it out cleanly from the join, the only option is as sharp a blade as possible to avoid any tears or nicks.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2017, 08:17:05 pm »
Cut it off with a Stanley™ knife

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2017, 11:58:07 pm »
It seems an incredibly stupid method of manufacture, to put the protective film on the glass before trapping it at the edges for ever more.

As this is new to me I don't know how these things are typically made. I don't know whether the film extends far under the overlapping wood or whether it's just fractionally larger than the visible area of the glass and could therefore be removed in one piece.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2017, 07:02:31 am »
Ask Wickes?  Or maybe not:

Wickes Oxford Internal Oak Veneer Door Glazed 1 Panel 1981x838mm

An excellent product
By How13
From Peterborough
Expertise: Expert DIYer
Quality5 out of 5
Value for money5 out of 5
16 November 2013
Pros: excellent product
Cons: difficult removal of protective film
"I was well satisfied with the Oxford Oak Veneer Glazed Door.
Only problem was the removal of the plastic film protective coating to both sides of glass panel.
Contacted store for solution but unable to help other than persevere with heat/scraper - it worked but was time consuming - could have done without the agro. "
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes
Was this review helpful to you?Yes3No0

When I got my kitchen units from them they sent misprinted instructions: the inside pages were for a similar but different set of units.  It nearly drove me nuts before I realised.   Wickes emailed the right ones promptly after being told.  Excellent quality though.
Move Faster and Bake Things