Author Topic: Bob Jackson respray  (Read 1299 times)

Bob Jackson respray
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:06 pm »
TL;DR: Excellent results, old-school communication.

My Eclipse was looking very tired, and I decided even an expensive respray was going to be a fraction of the the cost of a comparable frame. Bob Jackson offer a pickup and return service, and I'd heard decent things about them, so I decided to go with them. I rang and asked about their turnaround time, and was told about six weeks; 'just fill in the form on the website and someone will be in touch'. I packed up my frame and filled in the form, and a day or two later I had a parcelforce card through the door: 'you were not in for a pickup'. Ah well - I'd heard BJ were slightly old-school taciturn Yorkshireman in their approach to customer service. Rang parcelforce and sorted the pickup for the following morning, then rang BJ a day or two later to confirm they'd got it; 'we'll ring you to take payment when he job's done.' Rang them about six weeks later just to check on progress and was told 'oh, it's just in the oven now'; the next day had a call to sort out payment, and had the frame back a day or two later.

It looks great; I went for racing green enamel with an ivory head tube and ivory barber's pole on the seat tube, with gold lug lining. The edges have been sharply masked, and there's​ no drips or other flaws in the paint I can see. Just need to let it cure for a couple of weeks before I built it up, but I'm really happy.

Re: Bob Jackson respray
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:11 pm »
I had them do my Audax bike and tandem about three years ago, very happy with the finish.  The solo's finish is a bit scratched and chipped now but I don't blame Bob Jackson, the bikes had quite a bit of abuse.
SANY0257 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr
SANY0269 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »
Yep, Bob Jackson and Spa are cut from the same cloth. I've had excellent care from both, but I've witnessed echo not 'suffering fools'. I keep thinking of getting Bob Jackson to respray my Spa Audax - of course there's a risk the bike would become taciturn and insist on always going its own way...

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:39:04 pm »
I had a frame built by them and go them to re-spray my old Super Galaxy. Paint job on both is excellent.

BTW Trevor Jarvis sent all the Flying Gate frames he built to them for painting, he was a stickler for having things done right.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »
Nice to hear that craftsmanship is alive and well.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:38 pm »
They did an excellent job when I had my girlfriend's old Super Galaxy repaired and turned from 'bronze' (brown) to pink last year. It's a very nice piece of work, has held up well, and I like to imagine how much they enjoyed using this colour  :D  I took it in and chose the colour and they were marvellously deadpan when advising that this particular pink was 'probably a better option - the other one is fairly bright'  when I was (briefly) deliberating between this and the really lurid, complete with sparkly bits, alternative.

Eddington number(km): 102

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:02:20 am »
They did an excellent job when I had my girlfriend's old Super Galaxy repaired and turned from 'bronze' (brown) to pink last year. It's a very nice piece of work, has held up well, and I like to imagine how much they enjoyed using this colour  :D  I took it in and chose the colour and they were marvellously deadpan when advising that this particular pink was 'probably a better option - the other one is fairly bright'  when I was (briefly) deliberating between this and the really lurid, complete with sparkly bits, alternative.

Oh yes, the sparkly pink is not for fading violets

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
I've always been very happy with their painting, less so with their frame modifications.  They managed to send me back a Thorn fork with a new threadless steerer but with the dropouts now only 90mm apart.  I couldn't get a wheel in (it had very short stiff blades for 26").  Had to send it back and they rebrazed and repainted it, but I never trusted it afterwards - that crown had had a brazing torch on it three times.

Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol are impeccable but zOMG they're expensive - about 50% more than everyone else.  I can drive there, though.  Despite charging so much, you will wait over two months to have a frame resprayed at the moment.  They are snowed under.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »
Ellis Briggs did a great job on my Dave Yates. Quicker than they said, too, which is a first for me with any framebuilder!

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36:06 pm »
Ellis Briggs did a great job on my Dave Yates. Quicker than they said, too, which is a first for me with any framebuilder!

Not sure if they still do but I'm sure they send their frames to Jacksons for paint.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:00:23 pm »
I was under that impression but would still prefer to get it done through E-B because I find them easier to deal with.
Sic transit and all that..