Author Topic: Wick to Oxford tickets available 10th June  (Read 1571 times)

Wick to Oxford tickets available 10th June
« on: 10 May, 2017, 09:24:37 am »
Hi (I'm new here),

Short notice I know but is anyone interested in two tickets from Wick to Oxford on 10th June? The OH came off his bike Sunday and broke his collar bone so our LeJog is now cancelled/postponed.

Trying to recoup some of the cost from tickets etc, unfortunately got Advance non-refundable ones. All trains have two bikes but note tickets need a Two Together railcard. https://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/ (£30 for year, each save 1/3 on journeys taken together)

Leaves Wick 06.18 to Inverness 10.35
leave Inverness 10.45 to Edinburgh Haymarket 14.16
leave Edinburgh Waverley 15.00 to Darlington 16.56
leave Darlington 18.06 to Oxford 21.41.

We paid £133.10, if you are interested or know anyone who might be, please make me an offer!

Cheers,
Rose

Re: Wick to Oxford tickets available 10th June
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:37:04 am »
Gah !  How disappointing for you.  Do you perhaps have travel insurance which might cover for this ?

And welcome !!
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
That's really disappointing - and welcome! Hope he heals well.

I have to say that relying on a connection buffer of 10 minutes at Inverness is very optimistic!  :thumbsup: Having said that, when I was in Thurso a couple of years back, the trains were cancelled due to Scotrail not wanting to pay drivers so coaches were laid on. Anyone going to Inverness went straight down the A9 and we got there an hour earlier than the train would have done.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:24:09 pm »
Is Inverness that big? I don't remember it very well, so I could be wrong, but 10mins sounds very doable (with solos! ;) )

But if ATOC have sold you a Wick-to-Oxford ticket, isn't it *their* responsibility to make the trains join-up? So if the first one is late, you just get on the next departure - annoying but not a disaster. I think - it hasn't happened to me for many years ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:27:03 pm »
Inverness station is bijou.

However a train from Wick could be delayed.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »
Also, it is invariably very crowded and there is a strong chance that, if you have bike plus luggage, you will end up being last off and have to add your luggage to the bike before wheeling off.

DNAHIKT.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2017, 11:13:12 pm »
Wow is right ime.  Having transferred at Inverness on a number of occasions 10 minutes is almost impossibly optimistic.   

My tactic would be to prepare the bikes immediately after the last stop before Inverness.   I don't worry about blocking the access or incurring the wrath of the train manager.   Folk just herd to the other doors and the train manager doesn't want a confrontation of any nature.

It can easily take five minutes to get from one extreme to the other of platforms at Inverness even though it is a terminus station.