Author Topic: Twin Peaks Series 3  (Read 5823 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Twin Peaks Series 3
« Reply #25 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:09:28 am »
Eventually the watered-down subsequent series become unpopular and the show is canned without a satisfactory ending.

Seinfeld would be the notable exception to this pattern.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:28:11 am »
I inadvertantly caught several minutes of Twin Peaks 3 last week on US tv while skipping channels. Took me that long to figure out what it was, some bloke sitting on a sofa watching a big glass box and occasionally changing a memory card in one of the several video cameras filming the box. And a woman brings him coffee.

I've no idea but it didn't exactly make me want to watch more.

Well I'm loving it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2017, 01:21:14 pm »
Eventually the watered-down subsequent series become unpopular and the show is canned without a satisfactory ending.

Seinfeld would be the notable exception to this pattern.

I think Larry David was involved all the way through.  I'm ashamed to say I didn't really watch a lot of it so don't know if it ended before it ran out of steam or not.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
No, Larry David was absent as co-writer for the final two seasons but co-wrote the finale (I had to Google, I knew he bowed out at some point).

Still probably my favourite show ever and you should watch them all.

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 31 May, 2017, 06:51:13 pm »
Actually, the first two series are generally not that great and it gets much better as it goes along. Probably peaks in the eighth series, which is the one with the English Patient, but there are some great episodes in the final series too (The Merv Griffin Show and The Strike come to mind) and it has a proper ending. Apparently, NBC offered Jerry Seinfeld $110 million to do another series but he turned it down.

I had crab bisque for lunch today, which reminded of a line from another episode from the eighth series (The Yada Yada)...

"Listen to this. Marcy comes over and she tells me that her ex-boyfriend was over late last night and 'yada yada yada I'm really tired today.' You don't think she'd yada yada sex?"
"I've yada yada'd sex."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I met this lawyer, we went out to dinner, I had the lobster bisque, we went back to my place, yada yada yada, I never heard from him again."
"But you yada yada'd over the best part."
"No, I mentioned the bisque."

ian

« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2017, 07:27:11 pm »
Well, the first two series were OK and certainly a world above the average sit-com, but indeed, it took to series 3 to get going.

But you can't fault any mainstream US TV show that fits as many masturbation jokes in 22 minutes as 'The Contest.' The US is a nation that is, after all, terrified of nipples.

« Reply #31 on: 31 May, 2017, 07:34:03 pm »
Another thread for old US sitcoms, perhaps.

BTW I'm also loving TP3 - it's the inaction that makes it!
The sound of one pannier flapping

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2017, 09:36:57 pm »
The box scenes were great. And you knew it was going to end badly.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #33 on: 28 June, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »
Well that was a bit different.

Over the last few episodes the series has been settling into its soapy genre, with cooper looking like he'll wander round staring at coffee for the entire series.  I'll admit, even I was getting a bit tired of him.

Then this week start off by moving to psycho thriller mode, with Evil Coop working his wicked ways.  Oh good thought I, this is more fun than the Dougie Jones routine, and hopefully if Evil Coop meets a sticky end, Good Coop will revert to his normal smiling, cherry pie eating self again. 

Oh no wait, that's not what happened.  Instead it went batshit insane with a side order of horror, a few riffs on a couple of Kubrick films, plus a sprinkling of that Eraserhead-esque vomit stuff.  Oh, and the band was quite good too - though I did wish Trent would sing "You get me closer to BOB"  ;)

What will happen next? 

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #34 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:27:01 pm »
So David Bowie has turned into a giant menacing teapot.  Now I've seen it all.

Citoyen, are you still watching?  What do you make of it?

citoyen

« Reply #35 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:40:52 pm »
No, haven't had time to watch much telly lately. Saving it all for a big binge at some point.

I heard about Bowie's appearance. Sounds brilliant!  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #36 on: 24 August, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »
So David Bowie has turned into a giant menacing teapot.  Now I've seen it all.

Lumme. Let me out of 'ere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:11:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #38 on: 28 August, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »
(click to show/hide)