Author Topic: Recommendation for an optician Beds/Herts/Bucks border?  (Read 1196 times)

A long shot I know, but having put off keeping my prescription up to date for about 8 years, the spectacle frame life-cycle is forcing me to take action.

I've tried the independent opticians in my home town (Berkhamsted) and consistently finished up with total, expensive  cr@p that doesn't even fit.  If I went back to either of them then my next abode is likely to be Strangeways or Parkhurst.

My acquired view of opticians is that they are more interested in putting a hand in your pocket than making money through a longer term value relationship.  I'm pretty sure no-one loves opticians, except Mrs Specsavers maybe.  I put them on the same rung as estate agents and politicians.

From buying non-prescription reading glasses, I know that my ideal frame is about 50/18/140, so I'm simply looking for someone who will honestly advise on whether varifocals will work, or whether bifocals or single vision lenses could be more realistic for me and my lifestyle.  For that advice, I am expecting to pay £100s (and happily so, if the advice is worth it).

</end_rant>

Any suggestions?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Recommendation for an optician Beds/Herts/Bucks border?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:51:33 pm »
I'm a bit far into London for you and though I'm satisfied with my local opticians, I'm not truly thrilled either.

I'm OK with my current Varifocals but wasn't with my first pair and won't forget how disappointed and ANGRY I was with my first pair of Varifocals when I was unable to read surtitles at the opera on their first outing.

I think it's worth having a cheap plain pair of single vision glasses for 'big distance' cinema/galleries etc. The vertical 'sweet spot' of Varifocals is rather shallow; you need BIG unfashionable lenses and will constantly be adjusting your head & neck to get the sharpest image. This isn't for everyone; my Dad & I wear Varifocals while Mum has chosen bifocals.

Partner has single vision 'keyboard specs' for the 75-100cm range.

What I'm saying is we're all different and need horses for courses.

List:
How you spend your visual day - multiple tasks/mostly screen/much close-up work/outdoors
Are you short-sighted/astigmatic/longsighted/squinty?
Do you have arthritis in your neck?

Get an eye examination and a prescription YOU ARE NOT OBLIGED TO BUY ANYTHING! This is so cheap, you can see why opticians try to profit from their hapless clients with pricy optics & frames.

Report back with your script and we'll try TOGETHER to work out what will work out best for you.

One size NEVER fits all!

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:59:51 pm »
We use Specsavers in Tring fwiw. Have had varifocals from them for the last 5 or 6 years, my wife has bifocals from them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2017, 08:05:37 pm »
Boots in Watford

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:30:09 am »
Thanks all.

I've booked myself in for a test in with Boots in Watford tomorrow PM.  Whether I buy some glasses depends on their listening skills!