Author Topic: A Sea Lover's 600  (Read 1913 times)

A Sea Lover's 600
« on: 09 June, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »
After five years, a dozen or so entries, and to my knowledge three attempts, someone has finally cracked this ride. Congratulations Dan.

http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=AD01

Anyone else fancy taking up the challenge?  :)

Alan
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Re: A Sea Lover's 600
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2017, 11:00:28 am »
I thought this was an old route for some reason - and a former calendar ride! Dunno where I got that idea from.

Looks good though. One for later in the year maybe ....

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2017, 11:19:28 am »
A ride I've been interested in for a couple of years but not quite made a start as yet.

Maybe in the next few weeks as an alternative to the Hellfire if the group perm doesn't happen in June.

Alan - What was the inspiration for the route?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2017, 01:52:44 pm »
hi,
Congratulations on the first completion!

I've still got my card in the drawer, and the gpx files in a folder.
I think Justin has one too.

...one day.

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:10:04 am »
Alan - What was the inspiration for the route?

It was designed as a 600 I could ride from home, taking in a lot of my favourite places, for example the New Forest, Isle of Purbeck, the Dorset and Devon Coasts, Dartmoor, Bodmin, North Cornwall, to name but a few. A bit hilly, then!  I have never got around to riding it as yet, but perhaps next year!

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2017, 02:09:43 pm »
Thanks for putting the route together Alan. Now that I've had time to recover a little, I think it's fair to say that I enjoyed it :)

I've got a draft of a ride report, which like the ride itself is very long! I'm going to work on trimming it down and I will publish it at some point.

I failed to complete the ride last year - I stayed in a hotel in Romsey on the Friday night. I was aiming for a 6AM depart, but set off later than planned. The headwind was incredible and was probably the thing which did for me, mentally.

This year, I chose to start later in the early evening. I hoped that by doing so, even if there was a headwind it would have calmed down a little. The ferry crossing is a constraint - the ferry's last sailing is 11pm. In the end I chose to leave Romsey at about 5pm.

Noteable highlights on the ride for me were the ferry crossing and the ride through Studland; the approach to Corfe Castle and the ride through the Lulworth Ranges; the section between Lyme Regis and Seaton, in fact the whole section between Seaton and Exmouth - Sidmouth is beautiful and the climb out of it tough, but rewarding; the path along the Exe estuary; breakfast in Moretanhampstead; the approach to Tintagel and the coast road along to Bude (though I deviated from route slightly here); Shaftesbury to Salisbury - it was mainly downhill and I was struggling a little at this point. Finally, the comparatively little dash from Salisbury to Romsey, I was fatigued, but feeling fine in the main and was pretty confident that I was going to be able to complete the ride which put a smile on my face.

@andyp I updated the GPX files prior to doing the route this time round as I struggled with the set that I used previously. I put an event together on RWGPS so that future riders could use my versions. You're more than welcome to use mine, or ignore them! They're here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/32698-sea-lovers-600km-permanent-audax

Enjoy!

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:34:26 pm »
Is this an 'any direction / start anywhere on the route' sort of perm by any chance ?

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2017, 01:17:50 pm »
Is this an 'any direction / start anywhere on the route' sort of perm by any chance ?

Yes, that's fine.  Quite happy for it to be flexible to suit the rider.

Alan

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:23:08 pm »
I tried this mo fo a few years back before I had my eTrex.  It was a great adventure but I found myself out of time after 300k.  I ended up in Kernow where there's no trees or railway stations.  The red mud that got trapped between my Marathons and mudguards provided a consolatory poutice for my 'I'm never going to pack' ideal.  The bit through the new forest in the morning is lush.  I stopped to advise the same to a hiker putting his boots on by the boot of his car.  The route sheet didn't work for me.  Hats off to the man who found the Rosseta Stone.