Author Topic: Touring Gears - how low is low enough?  (Read 3982 times)

Re: Touring Gears - how low is low enough?
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:53:16 am »
Just come back from Scotland - a suprisingly flat country! (I'm from Devon) and I found that with 15kg of dry weight (no water, no food) my 24 front, 34 rear got me up everything, though I will admit to stopping regularly when climbing the Bealach Na Ba (took me over 90mins but plenty of time admiring the view).
I'd have been damn happy with 24x34!
Bealach Na Ba looks lovely - at at 7% gradient it sounds less of a grind than the 10% average of Greenhow.

I think one reason I hate Greenhow is that for much of the climb you can't even see anything - a steep bank on one side and hedge or trees on the other.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:11:47 pm »
One of the things I learnt this weekend is that with luggage on the front, I can't grind at super-slow cadence. Steering doesn't work. I need to be able to turn the pedals at a reasonable cadence or I end up weaving badly.

On an unladen bike I'm satisfied to sit down and grind away at a very low cadence but I found I just couldn't do this with luggage on the front. Not a case of lack of leg strength, just steering etc. If I were fitter, I could have gone faster, but . . .

This is similar to the recumbent problem: As your body mass is fixed in the seat, balance has to be achieved by manipulating the steering.  If the cadence drops too low the amplitude of the wobble exceeds what you can correct with the steering and you lose control.  Obviously the specifics of when this happens will vary greatly with bike geometry, but at some point you need a lower gear.

On the other hand, touring 'bents allow you to carry front luggage without loading the steering.  Done right this allows more optimal load distribution (you can put the heavy stuff right down between the wheels), and makes for very consistent handling.

« Reply #27 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »
Just come back from Scotland - a suprisingly flat country! (I'm from Devon) and I found that with 15kg of dry weight (no water, no food) my 24 front, 34 rear got me up everything, though I will admit to stopping regularly when climbing the Bealach Na Ba (took me over 90mins but plenty of time admiring the view).
I'd have been damn happy with 24x34!
Bealach Na Ba looks lovely - at at 7% gradient it sounds less of a grind than the 10% average of Greenhow.

I think one reason I hate Greenhow is that for much of the climb you can't even see anything - a steep bank on one side and hedge or trees on the other.

Yep, and the bottom is closer to 25%...

« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2017, 01:03:24 am »
When the road ramps up I suspect there comes a point where walking is more favorable.

Observing the ethanol-powered fans running up the climbs of the Giro, urging their favorites on, it's clear that for at least short bursts, not being on the bike is faster for som.