Author Topic: (Relatively unimportant)Things you had a chance to do, didn't, and now regret it  (Read 2873 times)

Dunno if there's any mileage in this, but I had the chance to see Fred Dibnah at the Sewage Pumping Station in Cambridge (where they have a BFO steam pump) in 1994 and didn't go.

In 2011 I was offered a ticket for the League Cup Final. I assumed Birmingham City would get a serious thrashing by The Arse, so turned it down. My how I wept into my beer as we beat them in the last few minutes.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Didnt go to see PUSA at The Lemon Tree cos I was full of the cold.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Get onstage with The Boomtown Rats at the first Loch Lomond Rock Festival.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
Oh, thought of another one. Meet Peter Hammill after a gig.

ian

I'm sure I went to loads of great gigs but I don't remember them because I was somewhat intoxicated. I just piffed on a friend who was getting all excited because he'd seen Guns 'n' Roses at the weekend. They must have a collective age of 500 now. I saw them back in the Victorian era, Nottingham Rock City, supported by Jane's Addiction. Well, he says after googling, supported by Faster Pussycat. 5th October 1987. I was underage and naughty. Now I'm overage and less naughty.

Then again, it would hardly be rock and roll if I could remember them. It would be like Iggy remembering the 70s. Or Keith Richards remembering anything.

I was offered a ticket for the Stones at Roundhay Park in Leeds in, oooo, about 1985 ?

I turned it down.

Reason ?

They were past it.

Also offered a ticket for the Jam's last ever gig in Brighton, but I was a poor (in fact, seriously overdrawn) student oaf and couldn't justify the expense of getting down there and back from Nottingham.
Rust never sleeps

And on a related note, in the world of sport, Mrs hatler and I were offered a sail on Bruno Peyron's 80' round the world cat (by Bruno himself) when we were down in Sydney many years ago, and turned it down. Now that is a regret.
Rust never sleeps

And one more, also not Arts & Ent.

When I was about four I was accompanying my pop on a pipeline survey when one of those mosquito-alike choppers touched down. This was all run out of the same dept as my dad worked for, so the chap offered to take me up. I was too scared.
Rust never sleeps

Jaded

• The Codfather
Talking about too scared, I was offered the opportunity to climb to the top of a tower crane at Canary Wharf when it was being built.

clarion

• Tyke
I was offered a flight in Rolls-Royce's Spitfire.  All I had to do was write a letter :'( :'( :'(
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
We were offered the chance to join others going to experience the total solar eclipse in the US.  We dithered, failed to commit and it's too late now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

I got to whizz around Castle Donington race track on the back of a huge superbike ridden by the world champion of the day (whatever the official designation is). Two hundred miles per hour. My dad thought it would build character.

It didn't, it scared the shit out me. I suspect health and safety is down on this sort of thing nowadays, but it was the 1970s, so probably less risky than Radio One road show. So be careful what you wish for.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
When we did Monsters of Rock with AC/DC, the first thing the local humpers came across when they opened the first lighting truck was my MZ 150.  It had seemed a good idea at the time.  We were going to be there for a week and so it was going to be useful for nipping out for pro things.
Of course, I took it on the track.   :facepalm:
One of the biggest bollockings I've had in my life.

This stunt was soundly beaten by another guy who worked with us who attempted a circuit of the Nürbergring on a fork lift truck.  Ran out of power and had to be rescued by a bigger truck.  He was equally​ unpopular with the local management.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I got to whizz around Castle Donington race track on the back of a huge superbike ridden by the world champion of the day (whatever the official designation is). Two hundred miles per hour. My dad thought it would build character.

It didn't, it scared the shit out me.

I suspect that is exactly what your dad  meant by "build character"  ;D

This stunt was soundly beaten by another guy who worked with us who attempted a circuit of the Nürbergring on a fork lift truck.  Ran out of power and had to be rescued by a bigger truck.  He was equally​ unpopular with the local management.
0/10 for sticking to the topic, but an excellent tale of muppetry  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

National orienteering competition.
I was a regular in WA club orienteering and the state committee invited me to join the state team in the national competition. I declined because I was scared I wasn't good enough (I was a crap runner, just very good at navigation) and the flights to the eastern states were expensive.
Part of the reason I competed in sport (I never liked competition) was to try to impress my dad. I never ever told him I'd been invited to join the state team. Now that I really regret.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
I had the chance to stay at home rather than go with my family to watch the Harry Potter films.  That will live with me forever.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Failing to join my mates to see Jimi Hendrix at the Albert Hall in 1969. I was a bit skint and thought I'd catch up with him some other time.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Failing to join my mates to see Jimi Hendrix at the Albert Hall in 1969. I was a bit skint and thought I'd catch up with him some other time.
ALWAYS see rock stars before they reach 27 years of age.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
I had a ticket to see Radiohead at the Manchester Arena; when they moved it to Old Trafford I chose to get a refund. I suspect that I shall regret it ???

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
ALWAYS see rock stars before they reach 27 years of age.
... and preferably before being 27 years of age.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles