Author Topic: Airheads Grr...  (Read 6951 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Airheads Grr...
« on: 22 June, 2017, 08:00:10 pm »
So when they are 5, and rock up home from school, and ask:

"Where are our Mary and Joseph costumes? I need them for the Nativity play!"
...as if everyone has such things in a dressing-up box for such an eventuality.
"Er, when for?" say us, already knowing the answer.
"Tomorrow!" they say.
And you know how it goes from there.

But that was when they were 5.
Now they are 17, and about to go on a DoE Gold Expedition.

"Where's our gas stove? I need it for my DoE!"
...as if everyone has such things in the camping box for such an eventuality.
"Er, when for?" say us, already knowing the answer.
"Tomorrow!" they say.

Of course, we don't have a gas stove. We have several of petrol and paraffin stoves, and there's *NO WAY* he's getting those. He's have a flare-up and the tent burned down within 5 minutes.

We *DID* have several gas canisters from when elder did the same, but he's borrowed a stove.
So an emergency purchase of a wee gas stove was called for.
Got a nice wee Vango one from local shop. It folds away and weighs next to nothing.

He's off out on the expedition now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Airheads Grr...
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:02:07 pm »
Homework for parents, innit.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »
It's not just us, then? TLD is 13 and, just the other day, she got up and said to us "I have to have X, You and Z with me for cooking, at school, today"!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:34:50 pm »
It's not just us, then? TLD is 13 and, just the other day, she got up and said to us "I have to have X, You and Z with me for cooking, at school, today"!!!!!
One of the best things about getting on the needy children Free School Meals list was not having to provide ingredients any more.
I have to admit that was partly relief at not having to buy goddamm marga-fucking-rine.

No2Son announced a request for his passport. With 12 hours notice. No, a scanned copy was not sufficient proof of ID. Good job he's at York and not Plymouth, eh.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:57:36 am »
Yeah, we had to buy margarine for some cooking thing. Can't remember what it was, but his cooking things at least come out pretty well. The latest though is various costume and props for a school play, including a pink duffel coat and a cigarette holder. I suggested we make the latter out of painted wood or maybe a drinking straw.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »
I recall a mate knocking on the door a few years ago, his girls needed mock swords for a play in the morning. A few hours later I'd knocked up two very nice wooden longswords with leather grips, pommels and carved hilts. Even routed a fuller in the blade.

Confiscated within minutes of arrival at school, swords are dangerous apparently  ???  :facepalm: