Author Topic: Garage shelving  (Read 4639 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Garage shelving
« on: 24 June, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
Well ok, for our large shed but you get the idea.

Looking for some fairly heavy load bearing shelving for the wine storage section of our shed. It's a little damp in winter (isnt everything in Aberdeen?) so I'm looking for some advice on suitable materials. I want to store a few cases of wine on each shelf.

Obviously if money was no object I'd go for galvanised frame and shelves but that works out at over 200 squids for just 2 sets of shelves. Do I really need to go for that or can I get away with chipboard or MDF shelves?

I think I probably know the answer but though I would consult my learned panel :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Garage shelving
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2017, 08:46:04 pm »
Hmm.  Storing wine.  Mrs B and I have tried to do that.  We've never succeeded.  It's always gone within a week.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2017, 09:33:05 pm »
Hmm.  Storing wine.  Mrs B and I have tried to do that.  We've never succeeded.  It's always gone within a week.

Even I can't drink that much booze in a week!

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2017, 10:47:37 pm »
the cost of sealers, varnishes, or primers & paint to keep said humidity-susceptible shelving from warping or collapsing will be near the cost of the metal shelving.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2017, 11:11:01 pm »
a fistful of coach bolts, a load of 4x2" sawn timber, some preservative and you will have a bomb-proof set of shelves that won't wilt under the weight of your vino.

BTW apologies if this is obvious but

- anything with proper corks in it ought to be stored horizontally (bottle shape vs sediment settling notwithstanding)  and
- if the storage varies too much in temperature, the wine will spoil. This varies with the type of wine but in any event high temperatures are to be avoided at all costs.

Sheds in summer (even in the frozen north) do tend to get rather hot for a few days a year and you may find that you end up with cases of expensive vinegar.

cheers

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
If it's damp MDF and chipboard will be unsuitable. 18mm marine ply with a couple of timber supports along the length of the shelf would work nicely.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:38:49 am »
If you search IKEA for  OMAR  or  IVAR  products they might do - and Ikea have a click and collect service in Aberdeen.

I have a store-room lined with IVAR shelves - excellent and not expensive.

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:29:14 am »
I've had some painted, pressed metal bolt together shelves in my garage for 20 years. On their own a bit wiggly, but screwed to the wall they're as solid as rock. I've used them for my tools etc with no worries.

In my new office and some in the garage are your standard spur with 22mm pine planking. No probs with weight of books, beer bottles etc, but varnished in the garage.

How do you plan to stop the bottles rolling about?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:13:33 am »
You can get proper wine racks. These have metal ties and wooden supports. I have attached thes to a wall and undergirded them with a  set of shelf brackets for many years .

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:43:24 am »
If you search IKEA for  OMAR  or  IVAR  products they might do - and Ikea have a click and collect service in Aberdeen.

Rob

How much weight do you have on these? I want to be able to put several 6 bottle cases on each shelf. Let's say for example 6. That works out at about 45kg per shelf. There's not a lot of info on the IKEA website on max shelf load, except for a couple of items.

rr

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:26:33 am »

Rob

How much weight do you have on these? I want to be able to put several 6 bottle cases on each shelf. Let's say for example 6. That works out at about 45kg per shelf. There's not a lot of info on the IKEA website on max shelf load, except for a couple of items.
Two points, Ivar has the option for specific wine rack shelves; we use Ivar as book shelves and it holds a full self of coffee table size books and a wall full of books no problems.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2017, 12:56:10 pm »
I've got Ivar shelves for storing books and LPs.

The shelves come in different sizes; mine are  800mm x 300mm and 400mm x 300mm. There are also deeper (front to back) 500mm shelves, needs different upright supports, but I don't have them.

Obviously use the 400mm shelves for heaver stuff; the shorter ones are filled with LPs and I use the longer one for books.

These shelves are made from solid wood (OK actually smaller pieces glued together) and are stronger and lighter than any chipboard or MDF.

But I wouldn't use them in a garage or shed because they're too nice for that, garages and sheds tend to be dirty and smelly places. I think metal shelves would be better for the shed or garage, or make up something from eg pallet wood.

And anyways, aren't garages and sheds the worst place to store wine?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2017, 01:30:11 pm »
Well I've ordered a couple of the Ivar units. On the basis that they're cheap but if they're no good for this use they'll support something else.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2017, 01:39:55 pm »
Late seeing this, but Ikea do, or at least used to do, a shelving system like Ivar with attitude and big bolts.  My bench drill lives on one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

[/quote]
In shelving terms, 45kg isn't a lot.  I have some cheap plastic shelving from Screwfix that's rated at 60kg per shelf, only disadvantage is the shelf heights are not adjustable.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/freestanding-plastic-shelving-5-tier/9707h

I used to have some of that mecano like steel shelving, that was rated something ridiculous like 200kg per shelf.

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:32:38 pm »
Scaffolding planks?   Not as cheap as they used to be tho'

In France I use 22mm 2mx15cm pine flooring from the Vosges.  A lot cheaper than in the UK and so's the wine.

I wouldn't use chipboard or mdf personally. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:44:04 pm »
Stacked plastic crates?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:10:04 pm »
Scaffolding planks is a good idea but not being any good at carpentry still need a frame.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »
Stacked plastic crates?

I have had a plastic crate explode/self-destruct in my garage. Some plastics behave strangely in a garage environment.

« Reply #19 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:19:17 am »
I've had a couple of these
http://tinyurl.com/yc7eab63
in my shed for the last 16 years, fairly heavily loaded.
Prior to that, in my previous home, they were very heavily loaded with books.
Sturdiness in the shed is achieved by screwing the units to the uprights of the shed wall.
For something which comes across as a bit flimsy, it is surprisingly robust.

ETA - Kinda crosspost with Ely Dave

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »

Hmm, I did see those when I was looking yesterday but I was put off by the utter lack of any info on shelf load capacity.

« Reply #21 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
Dexion steel shelving is industrial quality and there is plenty of it on Ebay at knock down prices. However it is very heavy and you will have to collect.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »

Hmm, I did see those when I was looking yesterday but I was put off by the utter lack of any info on shelf load capacity.

Those look pretty much like mine, screw them to the wall an they're bomb proof, mine have been in use for 20 years
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:43:33 pm »
Very much this ^

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #24 on: 29 June, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »
Back of an envelope calulations last weekend showed we could knock together 90cm x 45cm slatted pine shelving for about £5 per shelf, if we bought 4m planks from the lumber yard. Shelves would be constructed like duck boards - multiple strips joined with a perpendicular strip each end. We chose this over contiboard or ply for a fitted wardrobe. Now we just need to get on and do it.

I've previously used Wickes freestanding pine shelving, which also costs £5 a shelf. I considered buying another pack just for the shelves, but they're shorter than needed for our current job.