Author Topic: Respace Deore Rear hub from 135 to 130mm?  (Read 3069 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Respace Deore Rear hub from 135 to 130mm?
« on: 01 July, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »
A few years ago I built a "lightweight" set of wheels for my dawes horizon touring bike.  Deore hubs front and rear, with ambrosio evolution rims.  Now my Dawes Horizon has a 135mm rear spacing, and I also built a front dyno wheel using the same make of rim.

However I'm using my Pinnacle Dolomite road bike for audaxing, I could do with replacing the stock rear wheel.  Would it be easy to respace the rear deore hub on the wheel I built. Or would it simply be easier to buy a new rear hub, and swap them over.

According to the Edd spoke calculator for a Shimano Deore M510 Rear hub, and ambrosio evolution rim, 36 hole, 3 crossing the spokes required are 293.1 and 291.8mm

For the same rim, but using a Shimano Sora FH3300 rear hub (the Pinnacle is ye olde worlde 8 speed!), edd gives spoke lengths of 293.7 and 291.9  So I imagine I could use the same spokes?

Re: Respace Deore Rear hub from 135 to 130mm?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »
yes you can respace the hub and redish the wheel. You will need to shorten or replace the axle, or use spacers between the QR and the frame.

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
Before you get involved, have you tried  to fit the wheel to the frame? It's only 2.5mm per side at most, you may need to reindex the gears each time you swap wheels but if it works...

To respace the hub you will need a shorter axle as noted above. Your current axle should be 145mm overall, you will need a 140mm. Shimano cones and seals are different from the vast majority of aftermarket axles available and the simplest way is to lose the 5mm from the non-drive side using the 5mm spacer supplied with the new axle instead of the 10 on the current one IYSWIM. Then redish the wheel so it centres in your frame.

If you need any help give me a shout.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:31:00 am »
Before you get involved, have you tried  to fit the wheel to the frame? It's only 2.5mm per side at most, you may need to reindex the gears each time you swap wheels but if it works...

To respace the hub you will need a shorter axle as noted above. Your current axle should be 145mm overall, you will need a 140mm. Shimano cones and seals are different from the vast majority of aftermarket axles available and the simplest way is to lose the 5mm from the non-drive side using the 5mm spacer supplied with the new axle instead of the 10 on the current one IYSWIM. Then redish the wheel so it centres in your frame.

If you need any help give me a shout.

Cheers Torslanda.  Not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement axle and cones etc to remake the deore hub into a 130mm one. In anycase I could do with some wheel building practice, so I'll probably just order up a 130mm OLN hub and swap the hubs over.  I don't intend on swapping the wheels over regularly, I'll just keep the old one which is currently on the bike for if I ever dig the turbo trainer out... 

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:42:50 am »
you don't really need a new axle, or cones.

If the road frame will accept a 132.5mm wheel, set the wheel to that and carry on; that will almost certainly fit in the touring frame too.

cheers

BrianI

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2017, 09:00:19 am »
you don't really need a new axle, or cones.

If the road frame will accept a 132.5mm wheel, set the wheel to that and carry on; that will almost certainly fit in the touring frame too.

cheers
I'm not intending on having the wheel being used in both the road and touring bikes, hence my wanting to convert it from 135mm oln to 130. :-) The touring bike is 9 speed, and the road bike 8, so I'd have to swap cassettes as well!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:06:47 pm »
You might get away without a new axle depending on dropout thickness.  Some cast or forged dropouts are very thick.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »
re axle; a hacksaw cut is free? ;D

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2017, 09:54:07 pm »
Yeah but decent high speed steel blades aren't and the big S's axles are bloody hard!

Brian, if you want a 140 axle I've got a shitload...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
Yeah but decent high speed steel blades aren't and the big S's axles are bloody hard!

Brian, if you want a 140 axle I've got a shitload...

That's very kind, You have a PM!  :)