Author Topic: Replacement bottom bracket on Cannondale road bike  (Read 1072 times)

Replacement bottom bracket on Cannondale road bike
« on: 15 July, 2017, 11:48:51 am »
An overseas friend has a ten(?) year old aluminium-framed Cannondale road bike which has developed a clunky bottom bracket.  She is visiting UK and wants to purchase a replacement plus any required tools while she is here.  I have asked for the model name etc but the only thing I have to go on is the two photo's below.

I hoped that the 28-06 would provide help with identification but Google hasn't turned anything up.  They look to my untrained eye like the Hollowtech II cups that I have on one of my bikes and perusing old Cannondale tech docs has almost convinced me that this is correct.

Has anyone any thoughts on this before I send her back with the wrong bits.

Re: Replacement bottom bracket on Cannondale road bike
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »
they look like BSC threaded HT-II cups but appearances may be deceptive. Really you need to see the make and model of the crankset to be sure; there are plenty of other cups (eg FSA ones) that look the same on the outside, use the same tool to fit etc, but are meant for a different size of BB spindle.

28-06 is probably a manufacturing date, e.g.. 2006 week 28. Shimano-manufactured cups don't have that marking, so they are definitely not those, even if they might be something compatible.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2017, 01:37:26 pm »
Surely if it is going to come out anyway the thing to do is remove it and see what you have in your hands.

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
The problem is that it is 4000 miles away otherwise I would indeed pull it apart and investigate.

Thanks Brucey - I am sure you are correct.  I will ask about the crankset but suspect she may not know the answer.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
The labelling on the crankset will be a vital clue. If I had to guess it would be FSA with a 19mm axle but if there's nothing on the cranks it needs to be stripped down and identified.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.