Author Topic: Cycle rescue..?  (Read 6170 times)

Re: Cycle rescue..?
« Reply #25 on: 16 May, 2018, 05:55:47 am »
Over here in the land of driving on the other side, my local AAA motorists' group covers rescue / retrieval of cyclist and bicycle with membership.

For some reason, when I saw the topic - "Cycle Rescue" - I thought of all the various domestic animal rescue groups which take in purebreds (and others) when the 'owners' realize that they are not "Great Dane people", or whatever.  Imagine if all the people who bought bikes, and then didn't ride them / care for them / had a way to pass their classics on without being shamed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 16 May, 2018, 02:11:37 pm »
For some reason, when I saw the topic - "Cycle Rescue" - I thought of all the various domestic animal rescue groups which take in purebreds (and others) when the 'owners' realize that they are not "Great Dane people", or whatever.  Imagine if all the people who bought bikes, and then didn't ride them / care for them / had a way to pass their classics on without being shamed.

Isn't that called eBay / Cragislist / Gumtree / Freecycle ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
in the last 2 years-ish, more-n-more train companies have made it hard/impossible to travel with a bike without 24h notice.

How do folks think that the rescue insurance providers will deal with this? I'm thinking that if I am stranded near a station, then a policy that pays for accommodation until I can get on a train might be worth having.

(or of course a company that will simply drive me home would be preferable)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:09:47 pm »
I guess they might provide enough bin bags to wrap wheels+frame in such a way that it is now oversized luggage (genus sporting equipment) rather than a bicycle...

« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:19:15 pm »
I signed up with Lexham a little while back.  No doubt with the £15/yr the emphasis is definitely transport only to nearest...

We will arrange and pay for You, any pillions, and Your Pedal Cycle (if appropriate) to be transported at Our discretion to:
The nearest suitable cycle repair shop or
The nearest appropriate railway station or
The nearest car rental agency or
The nearest overnight accommodation or
Your Home Address, if closer

So trains one couldn't get on, just make it less useful I guess.  I enquired about bikes on Arriva Wales a while back - need to ring up to book train & bicycle (if poss) at same time (no web option AFAIA).  So if one was stranded it may be possible to ask the train co. stafff about free reservations, and if none, then relay that back to rescue co., to provide another transport option?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:53:22 pm »
I signed up with Lexham a little while back.  No doubt with the £15/yr the emphasis is definitely transport only to nearest...

We will arrange and pay for You, any pillions, and Your Pedal Cycle (if appropriate) to be transported at Our discretion to:
The nearest suitable cycle repair shop or
The nearest appropriate railway station or
The nearest car rental agency or
The nearest overnight accommodation or
Your Home Address, if closer

So trains one couldn't get on, just make it less useful I guess.  I enquired about bikes on Arriva Wales a while back - need to ring up to book train & cycle (if poss) at same time (no web option AFAIA).  So I if one was stranded it may be possible to ask the train co. stafff about free reservations, and if none, then relay that back to rescue co., to provide another transport option?
It could all come down to what mood the person who answers the phone is in.

« Reply #31 on: 30 May, 2019, 08:40:04 am »
Update.

A Lexham cycle recovery policy is now specific to a particular bike it seems, so multiple policies are required for using different bikes!   Not too bad if you mainly use the same bike on rides that recovery may be needed, but...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson