Author Topic: Yahoo! now part of "Oath" - and they want to share all your information  (Read 2249 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I only use them for webmail (a service that barely works) and I'm not happy about this.  My only remedy if I don't like this, according to their rather glib help page, is to delete my Yahoo account.  There is no option to avoid them hawking my personal details (presumably gleaned from e-mails) around 50 other companies.  GDPR is really going to have teeth, isn't it?

I know they're one of the most mismanaged companies in the world but this takes the biscuit.  It will be laborious, but I might just bother to change my e-mail address.  I suppose this applies to Flickr too (another service that barely works).

Can anyone suggest what the "oath" is?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Yahoo! now part of "Oath" - and they want to share all your information
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:50:44 pm »
Quote from: El Wiki
The Oath name is meant to convey the parent company's commitment to the media business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Inc.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2017, 10:24:11 am »
I use my yahoo email when I don't want to reveal my main one, so they won't glean much from me  :)

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2017, 10:50:07 am »
Keep getting a request to delve in but I have blocked it.  Yahoo stopped being my main address a long time ago.  I just use it for stuff which I think will generate a lot of spam.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:09:05 am »
Hmm, my Yahoo email account has been my only constant address of any kind since 1996, so I am reluctant to ditch it right away, but I'll gauge what happens post-divulgence.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2017, 01:22:49 pm »
My email is BT and therefore yahoo.
Does not sound good.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:11:29 pm »
I only used flikr, which I've been meaning to dump for a while since I don't use it anymore. Both account now deleted (flikr and yahoo).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:46:41 pm »
"Should you prefer that Yahoo does not share any personal information with Oath and/or the Verizon family of companies, instructions on how to delete your Yahoo account can be found here."

As it happens, I an egroups email list I joined around 2001 is still active and has over 300,000 messages on it for them to mine. Yahoo took over egroups years ago.

I don't reckon F. Oath will be any more unscrupulous than Yahoo so I don't much care.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:31:01 pm »
"Should you prefer that Yahoo does not share any personal information with Oath and/or the Verizon family of companies, instructions on how to delete your Yahoo account can be found here."
Which is a pretty big "f--- you", really.  They could have provided an option not to share, but they didn't.  I suppose in any "free" service, You Are The Product.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:13:19 am »
Even if you have elected to fork over for Flickr Pro you still get this.  Bunch! Of! Shysters! Though! Less! So! Than! Photobucket!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »
It turns out that they have already shared (nearly) all of the information.

Verizon have admitted that every single Yahoo account that existed in August 2013 - 3 billion in all - was hacked.

Sitting down? An epic and historic data breach at Yahoo in August 2013 affected every single customer account that existed at the time, Yahoo parent company Verizon said on Tuesday.

That's three billion accounts -- including email, Tumblr, Fantasy and Flickr -- or three times as many as the company initially reported in 2016.

Names, email addresses and passwords, but not financial information, were breached, Yahoo said last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/03/technology/business/yahoo-breach-3-billion-accounts/index.html?sr=twtech100317yahoo-breach-3-billion-accounts0946PMVODtopLink&linkId=43073308
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche