Author Topic: Dual Citizenship query  (Read 1564 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Dual Citizenship query
« on: 07 September, 2017, 08:39:42 pm »
The son of a friend is coming over to the UK to live and work. He is an adult and holds dual UK and USA nationality, but was born in the USA.

Be grateful for any advice for things that he should do (he has found a place to live as he will be with friends).

NHS - does he need to register?
NI Number - is this available, if so how?
US / UK tax requirements?

Anything else that might be of interest.

It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dual Citizenship query
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:54:08 pm »
I think he should be allotted an NI number when he starts work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »
The son of a friend is coming over to the UK to live and work. He is an adult and holds dual UK and USA nationality, but was born in the USA.

Be grateful for any advice for things that he should do (he has found a place to live as he will be with friends).

NHS - does he need to register?
NI Number - is this available, if so how?
US / UK tax requirements?

Anything else that might be of interest.

He has to file US taxes every year. (whether he has to pay anything or not..he still has to file them). Cross over year, it's probably worth getting an accountant as he will have to pay taxes in both countries.

My knowledge about the following is at least 10 years out date, so take it for what it's worth.
You have to apply for a NI number. Work will assign a temporary one.
Getting a bank account can be tricky. He has to pretend that his friends place is his permanent address and may have to produce evidence of that.  Getting a reference letter from his employer (addressed to his UK address) can be helpful.
NHS: Not sure how it works for non-EU nationals. I didn't have to do anything.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »
NI number can be a nightmare. We had to go through it when Boy Wunja moved back to the UK.  We were told lots of rubbish by people who should have known better.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
He should use the phone numbers here, but can't start this process until he is in the country.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:18:38 am »
Got my UK citizenship in 2013 and it was painful to get an NI number.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2017, 11:43:30 am »
Everyone I know has said the same about NI (in fact my colleague got someone else's, and twelve years later they're still trying to sort that one out). As a proper Briton, I was obviously born with it stamped on a peel-off label across my forehead.

Getting a bank account isn't so bad with the bigger banks, I'm told, it's not an unusual thing these days. Places like Citibank will offer dual GBP/USD accounts etc.

« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:50:03 pm »
Just had a letter from major bank regarding nationality requirement for the purchasing of equities. From memory the form did not have any provision for dual nationality and did require UK NI number.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain