Author Topic: Tubeless swaps  (Read 1132 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Tubeless swaps
« on: 14 September, 2017, 02:27:14 pm »

I'm seriously considering going tubeless on the set of wheels I'm building. What's currently holding me back is that I run different tyres based on the time of year (studded in winter, slicks in summer). What happens to the sealant when you change from one tyre to another? Is there any issue with the sealant and low temperatures? Is swapping a tubeless tyre more messy than a tubed one?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Tubeless swaps
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
Yes, it's more messy. 

Basically what happens to the sealant is that most of it coats the walls of the old tyre and, unless you are very careful, the bit in the bottom spills out.  Last time I changed a tyre I used the syringe that you can use to fill a tyre via the valve to suck the sealant out of the old tyre, which worked.

Another factor is that if you take a tyre off and want to keep it, it will stay wet, the sealant never seems to completely dry.  It must absorb moisture from the air.  So they are unpleasant to store.

For me, the biggest benefit of tubeless, though, is that I don't have to change to winter tyres any more. As my puncture risk is way lower I can run fast tyres all year round.  That was mainly why I went to tubeless in the first place.   I don't ride in ice so don't use studded tyres.

I would say that if you do want to swap tyres, stay with tubes - swapping tubeless is too much hassle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2017, 07:03:01 pm »
That's another good reason for me not to go tubeless on my MTB, then.  It doubles for winter studs duty, on the basis that the best way to do studded tyres in British winter is to be able to pick the bike for the conditions on the day.

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:17:06 pm »
I don't use tubeless or studs but I would have thought that a second set of wheels would be the way to go, perhaps adapted to the different conditions.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:20:06 pm »
I don't use tubeless or studs but I would have thought that a second set of wheels would be the way to go, perhaps adapted to the different conditions.

that's what i do, saves the faff. although the sealant dries out if not used for half a year (not a problem, just something to bear in mind)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »
Funnily enough a chap was in this afternoon with a Hope wheel/Hans Dampf tyre which had punctured and wouldn't reseat. The sealant had dried out and even using an airline didn't achieve anything.

He bought two tubes and muttered 'Fuck this for a lark!'

The defence rests . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.