Author Topic: Serge de Nîmes  (Read 5197 times)

Serge de Nîmes
« on: 18 October, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »
Do you wear denim? Is there an age when you just stop? I ask as I was just helping my dad clear out a load of old clothes which included some jeans. I've not seen my dad in jeans for at least 3 decades. I can remember my mum in denim back in the 80s, never again after that.

Ok - if you're Jay Leno you're going to be doubling it up, but do you? Just curious.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Serge de Nîmes
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »
Shakin' Stevens is my fashion icon.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:58:12 pm »
I'm gradually drifting away from wearing jeans. Only for site inspections now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
After a certain age there are special shops where you have to buy all your clothes. There used to be one in Kentish Town, called Bluston's, but I think it's gone now. You could get those special wool coats that old ladies wear as well as brooches and crocheted hats.

You are, what, mid 40s? You've about another 15 years before you'll actually have to put a suit on to go to the Post office.

If you don't, they'll find you, and kill you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:39:38 pm »
I always kind of assumed that when my generation reached old age, jeans and hoodies would become the new Old People dress code.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:50:05 pm »
I don't. Unless you're Jeremy Clarkson, a country music singer, Shakin' Stevens, or a bonafide cowboy/girl I figure you probably shouldn't.

There a certain age when you find yourself in M&S sorting through the clothing racks. It's like waking up after sleepwalking. You don't know how you got there and everything that happened previously is suddenly vague. One day you're sure you were high-fiving your life, the next you're in M&S pondering relaxed fit chinos.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2017, 12:39:21 am »
My bum was never the right shape for jeans so I gave up the struggle soon after I qualified.

I've had the odd denim leggings and skirt.

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2017, 12:55:59 am »
I’m bored with the denim ones, but have a couple of nice pairs in different shades of moleskin.

Currently sporting a pair in Mulberry (which isn’t red, OK?)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2017, 05:00:23 am »
offshore and site work, kicking around in the garden, going to the market, that kind of stuff.

Walking trousers for casual - multi pockets to hold things like snacks and blood glucose kit

Khaki's of some form for work generally, acceptable enough in my game.  Suits for les grand fromages, occaisionally - only worn a tie once in ten years though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:02:38 am »
The Inlaw Paw was still wearing jeans at 95. I'm wearing jeans right now. Our doc wears jeans. My only gripe is that mine are getting a bit tatty, and they're only about 15 years old. They do have a nice comforting aroma of affectionate Labrador, though.

I'd go and get new ones but I hate shopping for street clothes - irresponsible waste of cycling funds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
I still wear jeans.  I haven't yet noticed anyone pointing and laughing—though I haven't seen Flatus for a while.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:07:26 am »
Mine are suffering from the secondary effects of diabetes meds - the pillbox is wearing a hole in them.

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:39:16 am »
All my trousers, including jeans, wear holes in the crotch area long before they get fashionable holes at the knees. Must be something I eat (corrosive wind?)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
Sometimes all you need is a pair of leather chaps and attitude.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:06:05 am »
I reckon it's standard now to wear jeans until you have to move to sweat pants to make room for the incontinence nappies. The weird thing is not that old people wear jeans but that young people still do; as if fashion had stayed still since 1956.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
They relaxed the dress code at work earlier in the year, so now I wear denim jeans pretty much every day, usually with a t-shirt and trainers. I work in the City and I am 63 years old.

« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:35:33 am »
I wear jeans a lot (37) but tend to buy cheap ones for working around the house or climbing in, my dad (62) wears jeans a lot  as well and used to wear them under his overall's at work as they were cheap and hardwearing when scrabbling around on factory floors fixing stuff. Still wears them in the workshop now.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:57:36 am »
Have just rediscovered jeans, otherwise chinos or craghoppers most of the time.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2017, 12:04:33 pm »
I think if I wore denim then the urge to burst into Total Eclipse of the Heart would be irresistible 100% of the time rather than the current 62%.

There's also the danger of a Sally James moment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:46:54 pm »
The weird thing is not that old people wear jeans but that young people still do; as if fashion had stayed still since 1956.

To be fair, in a manner reminiscent of subverting school uniform rules, the fashion has gone from the perfectly sensible bootcut jeans of my youth to implausibly tight ones (seriously, do young people have no fat or muscle?).  These things are broadly cyclic, but with an irritating twist that means that if you wait long enough for your desired style to come back in, you're still going to be disappointed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 19 October, 2017, 03:42:44 pm »
Didn't think that fashion had anything to do with wearing jeans, just with different styles thereof (such as thin metal buttons on the fly, suitable for separating nail and flesh).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 19 October, 2017, 05:11:44 pm »
Being somewhat, erm, generously proportioned I prefer cargo trousers. I don't do chinos, the horror of beige...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #22 on: 19 October, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »
No worries, you can get pairs in red.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:13:38 pm »
Because I'm turn turning around bright eyes, it's time for this my little denim-clad jeremites.

It's the video I would have made. If I were thirty years older. And wore jeans that were so tight they pushed all the blood up into my head.

« Reply #24 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:39:49 pm »
No denim here since around  '92 which was when I left college aged somewhere around my mid 30s  (mature student and all that...)
I don't regard it as any kind of loss. For strides, there are better materials than denim out there.
( I also discovered clubbing around this time - which required a different sort of uniform).
I gave my remaining  501s (28" waist - natch!) to a heartstoppingly beautiful Swedish student friend.
I suspect she is still wearing them - her lithesome mass won't be sufficient to have worn them out.
Also, I have no trainers.
And haven't had since I stopped running.