Author Topic: Any reason NOT to move to 3 from EE?  (Read 1666 times)

Any reason NOT to move to 3 from EE?
« on: 06 December, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »
In terms of coverage and 4G coverage, really. Any benefit staying with EE these days?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Any reason NOT to move to 3 from EE?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
I've no idea about EE, but 3 are the only mobile provider that I've been happy with.

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2017, 08:24:39 pm »
Round here EE and three use the same mast. In fact I think there's another that uses the same mast as well.

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2017, 08:57:41 pm »
Virgin runs via EE.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
EE is the only network that works here.  I used to be O2.  Not a chance in West Wales.

Oh. Apparently Vodafone works too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:15:19 pm »
That's a good point, different areas are better with different providers.

Years ago the Lancaster branch of T-mobile refused to sell me a phone contract because I lived north of Lancaster. Their guarantee gives you a few weeks to try their network, if you're not satisfied they would fully refund you all costs. Where I live they had a huge black spot which meant all customers from here took up that refund. The branch told head office about it for a few years but nothing got sorted. Lost a lot of business.

In the Llynn peninsula a few years ago we struggled with three network. The locals all went with O2, the only network that had a decent connection all along the peninsula apparently.

Years ago O2 was best in lakes. I was with them and often mine was the only phone connected because I was the only O2 user. Later on it got worse somehow so I went with Vodafone the new best network in the area. Then three was best.

What I would do is ask around as many friends and work colleagues to see who they're with and how their network performs. Or check online user reviews. Different areas = different networks are best.

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
In terms of coverage and 4G coverage, really. Any benefit staying with EE these days?
Basically there are only 3 suppliers. O2 and Vodafone share masts and split the country down the middle to see who manages which side. EE are own their own but have the best (but not total coverage). 3 do towns, and little else.
For the future, EE have committed to providing the emergency services network so have to provide almost 99% coverage. They will provide coverage in special areas like the lakes, Dartmoor etc.
All other suppliers are virtual providers, and use either EE (BT, Virgin) O2 (giffgaff), or Vodafone. I don't know any vsp for 3

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:16:47 pm »
A while ago 3 lied to me by telling me that they shared their network with Orange. I knew that one place I went to only had Orange. When I got there a few days later my phone didn’t work. When I finally got hold of 3 they told me their deal with Orange was off, almost immediately after I’d signed the deal.

I stopped my bank payments, telling them they were in breach of contract, since the sharing with Orange was a term discussed when I took the contract our and therefore part of it. They reluctantly agreed, then spent months chasing me for the money I wasn’t paying them. It took a letter to a board director of the holding company to stop the balliffs.

They may have changed their management and processes since then, but they may not...
It is simpler than it looks.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:51:06 pm »
Happy 3 customer... But always lived in built up areas. Durham, Stockton, Hull. Never had a problem while audaxing though. Always had a signal when i wanted one. 4G. Maybe I don't check my phone enough! :)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:23:31 pm »
Just a note - I recently got a new phone after many years on an old deal with Orange/EE.  I was planning to move to 3 on Sim only as the deal for data was much better.  When I phoned EE to get the PAC, they price matched the 3 deal and I didn't need to migrate.  It may depend on how long you've been an EE customer though.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:55:23 pm »
3 offers aren't as good as many of the virtual networks.

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »
I can't say I'm hugely happy with EE at the moment. Upgraded my phone about 6 weeks ago, then noticed that my last bill was considerably more than usual. Contacted EE - I'd been wrongly charged over £300 for the new handset, and was promised a refund. After waiting more than a week, contacted them again and was told that the refund hadn't gone through for some reason. Have received confirmation that a refund has been issued (haven't yet checked bank account), but the amount given in the confirmation text message is minus VAT. So, I'll have to contact them a third time. ::-)