Author Topic: Do you use bull bars / tri bars?  (Read 4477 times)

Re: Do you use bull bars / tri bars?
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:37:25 am »
Has to be a good excuse to post another of my Metrea build

The bars for a commuter are one of the bestest things about it. The Metrea bars could be used on any other build, but I suspect without the shifter shape for your hands, they wouldn't be quite as effective.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:05:08 pm »
Nice wheels! (very similar to mine!)
OT but what exactly is the strap-like thing you've got around the brake lever? It looks quite thin but obviously does the job. Hair band?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:22:56 pm »
Similar, but as I didn't build yours, not the same.

That loop will be the elastic thingy provided with the Click Stand wot you can see holding it up

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #28 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »
User Review: Tres beau bullhorn, très léger, ergonomique, avec passage pour les cables de freins
  :-)
Google suggests you can only now get them in OverSize stem version, and they used to be £30 at CRC. Mine are almost mint! Offers welcome ...

Thanks mattc. I'm hoping to get something 40 or 38 and for a 1" stem. With that size centre, if I don't like it on my road bike I can transfer the bar to my folder.

Google    chop and flip handlebars    to see options to convert an old pair of drops to "bullhorn style" - I had these on my fixed for a while, excellent for city riding (with bar end brake levers)

This is what I'll try next, as it is probably the best way of sourcing something in the unusual sizes I want.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #29 on: 31 December, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
User Review: Tres beau bullhorn, très léger, ergonomique, avec passage pour les cables de freins
  :-)
Google suggests you can only now get them in OverSize stem version, and they used to be £30 at CRC. Mine are almost mint! Offers welcome ...

Thanks mattc. I'm hoping to get something 40 or 38 and for a 1" stem. With that size centre, if I don't like it on my road bike I can transfer the bar to my folder.

Google    chop and flip handlebars    to see options to convert an old pair of drops to "bullhorn style" - I had these on my fixed for a while, excellent for city riding (with bar end brake levers)

This is what I'll try next, as it is probably the best way of sourcing something in the unusual sizes I want.

Two points: make sure you cut the tube so that the bar-end brake levers can go in (i.e. not on a curve)  - and I used a plumber's pipe cutter to cut the ali tube rather than a hacksaw, making a neater job of it.

And - alternatives for brake levers would be cyclo-cross type levers either side of the stem.

Rob

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2017, 05:02:37 pm »
Good tips. Thanks Rob

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #31 on: 31 December, 2017, 05:39:17 pm »
[

In that case, maybe cut down a straight bar and add a pair of ski-type bar ends?

When I had a flipped-and-chopped bar many years ago, I was grateful for the position right at the back of the 'horns' whenever I wanted to sit up and stretch my back. Don't get a bar with an awkward curve there.
Jennifer - Walker of hills