Author Topic: Supernova E3 not working - Resolved  (Read 958 times)

Supernova E3 not working - Resolved
« on: 30 December, 2017, 08:17:45 pm »
So a while ago I bought a secondhand E3 and matching rear light.  I also bought and Alfine dynohub wheel.  Today, some 18months later I thought I’d see how it worked.  Hmmm. It didn’t.  This was “static” in the shed.  Light (front) came with a connector that clipped straigh5 onto the hub, but no amount of manual spinning of the wheel would produce light, tho’ the hub was producing output.  Should the light have lit or does it need a certain amount of energy beforehand?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Supernova E3 not working
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2018, 05:23:05 pm »
Problem identified. I dismantled the Lego block, and the wires were quite corrod3 (supplementary question - recommendation for non-conducting grease?) so I got a very fine flat file and cleaned them, and reassembled. Still no go, but I then noticed that although it was a short length from lamp to plug, it had been joined midway along. A quick bend back and forth at this point and another spin of the wheel, hey presto we have light! I’ll not be using it as I decided to buy a B&M set up and be kind to oncoming traffic, but at least I can move the E3 on with a clear conscience that it works!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)