Author Topic: Winter legware...  (Read 2029 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Winter legware...
« on: 04 January, 2018, 09:01:14 pm »

I've been cycling all winter in a pair of cycling tights with some Altura Night Vision Water proof trousers. But it flaps about in the wind, and seems the bottom of the trousers is wearing the finish off my cranks... So I'm considering an alternative. I'm in the Netherlands, which means I'm cycling in wind and rain a lot.

What do people recommend by way of waterproof, windproof, winter cycling legware?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Winter legware...
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:02:21 pm »

I should add I'm anything from a size 16-20 (depending on who's making it, and what it is). So I need something that comes in large sizes...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
In my experience the two options are waterproof over trousers which are inherently a baggy fit or less waterproof but quick drying winter weight tights.  Having said that my preferred option for winter commuting and general riding are Endura Humvees which are way more comfortable than over trousers and have really good pockets!  I find them warm and windproof enough for British winters and they do dry quickly after a downpour.  https://www.endurasport.com/product/hummvee-trouser-ii/
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:33:59 pm »
I use winter tights (or this season Rapha Winter shorts with a couple of pairs of legwarmers).  Biq question is "do you have the option to change from wet kit and dry it before using it again at work?"  If not then waterproof is the way forward and to avoid the flapping I often use velcro to gather the material and make it a bit less flappy.  Not ideal, but very useful when touring and spending all day in heavy rain (and in Holland too!).  Decathlon is cheap and have a good size range.

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2018, 01:31:34 pm »
In my experience the two options are waterproof over trousers which are inherently a baggy fit or less waterproof but quick drying winter weight tights.

Agreed - I go for the latter option (I'm in Scotland so cycle in the wind and rain a lot too). Personally I like Castelli Nanoflex tights; I also have some Sportful No-Rain but I don't find the fit as good, though they are thicker and warmer so come out when the weather's really bad.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2018, 03:11:07 pm »
I find that if I'm riding any significant distance (> 5 mi/8 km), full length waterproof legwear generates so much sweat/condensation that all that is achieved is windproofing.
I wear tights with waterproof shorts over the top (currently either Endura Multi-Tights or Thermolite, depending on temperature, and Goretex shorts, maybe these).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »
Tights of some sort, Roubaix-alike, possibly with a water-shedding treatment. In really wet weather, I add Rainlegs on top. Waterproof trousers are too boil-in-a-bag for my liking.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:04:49 pm »
Tights of some sort, Roubaix-alike, possibly with a water-shedding treatment. In really wet weather, I add Rainlegs on top. Waterproof trousers are too boil-in-a-bag for my liking.
This.

Or the thick Altura Cruisers if it's just for an hour or two.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2018, 06:09:39 am »
The OMM Kamleika pants are slim-fitting and stretch-y waterproof overpants. First waterproofs that I don't mind wearing while on a bike. Mind you, I'm fairly slim-fitting myself too... At £120 they are expensive, but in autumn often on sale when they are bringing out the new years model.

It can sometimes be difficult to judge how long the rain will continue, but (unless it is fairly warm) I prefer to wear full waterproofs when the rain will last a while (say 30+ minutes). And at audax speeds I will be simmering not boiling :)

Still looking for truly waterproof gloves (or mitts even) though.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2018, 01:09:17 pm »
I go with merino wool underneath and a mostly-synthetic top layer. Polyester and nylon are quick drying, meaning the trousers are dry a couple of miles after the rain has stopped. Meanwhile, a wool baselayer has the advantage of being warm when wet, while merino can be made into thin fabric that doesn't have the capacity to hold much water. I avoid choosing cotton on days when it might rain.

For waterproof trousers don't have press studs or zips at the bottoms to make them hug the ankles, I use elasticated straps over them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »
I'm in my 12th season of wearing merino in all weathers, mainly against the skin, but ... only above the waist! (oh, and below the shin too ...)

It's wonderful but very fragile stuff - I would expect shorts/trousers to suffer a short life. Don't they? :/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »
I used to have some very old cycling shorts that were wool with a leather chamois. They were halfway between a lightweight stretchy weave like modern tops and a stiff canvas weave. They lasted me many years and I got them second hand. So, no, not necessarily fragile.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
Merino?

But it's a good point; we know that cyclists did wear wool shorts for decades - I've never got my hands on a pair, so no idea about the construction. Whatever, they're probbly not what fruitcake is wearing :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »
I have a bunch of merino trunks, and they've lasted at least as well as my normal cotton underwear; certainly well enough to warrant buying them again when they do go.

But I guess the abrasion against the saddle is tougher on outer layers; trad cycling breeks had a double seat so they could be repaired when they wore, didn't they?

I run hot, any significant distance in rain means I end up damp one way or the other. My preferred options would be windproof tights with some kind of water-repellent coating, or tights and rainlegs. If going at a slower pace a rain cape and possibly spats work well enough for me. If the overtrousers work well enough for you otherwise could you gather them in with trouser straps?

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2018, 10:02:53 pm »
Merino long johns have the same longevity as polyester and poly/cotton IME

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2018, 10:28:53 pm »
Wool cycling shorts weren't generally made of merino but used wool somewhat thinner than the tough stuff used for carpets. Some shorts back in the day used a wool/ acrylic mix or an acrylic fabric. More expensive racing shorts used thin chamois leather. Cheaper ones had almost unpadded synthetic chamois.

I had a set of Vittoria Gianni wool shorts with a Lycra outer layer - a lovely piece of kit but too hot for my part of Oz. It may have used merino; it was lovely to wear.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...