Author Topic: AI bicycle  (Read 1448 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
AI bicycle
« on: 06 January, 2018, 07:57:05 am »
I wondered whether this would be better off in Ctrl-Alt-Del, but it is more bicycle news than computer news I guess: a bicycle with artificially intelligent suspension that adjusts to terrain and can even detect if you've 'jumped'. I would have thought this might make sense on a motorbike rather than a proper bike.

http://hiride.bike/focus.htm

It looks like someone is genuinely promoting this as a good idea.

Re: AI bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2018, 08:26:19 am »
The talk about pavé makes me think it is targetted at sportive riders that want the same experience as in their nice car and don't mind the extra weight. Feels a bit niche, but maybe on an ebike?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Samuel D

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »
It sounds more hocus-pocus than focus, and where is the AI?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2018, 04:41:55 pm »
It sounds more hocus-pocus than focus, and where is the AI?

Yes, where is the AI? Adding a computer to something doesn't make it AI - a bit like adding Alexa voice control doesn't make the fridge 'intelligent' either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »
Adding a computer running some sort of learning algorithm would count as AI by modern standards.  TBH, while the idea of a neural network controlling the suspension lockouts isn't a bad one, the traditional approach of using the rider's brain to perform this function would seem to give similar performance with a lot less complexity...

OTOH, electronic actuators for suspension lockouts are a potentially useful tool, just as they are for gears.  It's just a harder sell.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »
People have been playing with smart suspension for a fair while now
eg Lapierre/Rockshox, 2013, Fox, 2015

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »
Quite. I don’t think there’s many AI types building a brain any more, but there’s scope for some learning based on what’s happening. Change the tyres and add luggage and the suspension adapts without me wielding my mechanical ineptitude. Still sounds pricey and more to go wrong though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:58:56 pm »
Adding a computer running some sort of learning algorithm would count as AI by modern standards.  TBH, while the idea of a neural network controlling the suspension lockouts isn't a bad one, the traditional approach of using the rider's brain to perform this function would seem to give similar performance with a lot less complexity...
Unless you lockout the forks for riding up a big hill, then forget to unlock them for the steep descent. Then you don't notice until you hit a large rock.
Some sort of automatic system could work better than a rider's brain. It doesn't need to be "AI" as such, maybe just based on the gradient or acceleration.

The Magura Elect is another system, its been around for a while. http://www.magura.com/en/components/bike/technologies/electconnectivity/

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:18:05 pm »
People have been playing with smart suspension for a fair while now
eg Lapierre/Rockshox, 2013, Fox, 2015

A fair while indeed - I remember reading about K2 (used to be Pro-Flex?) mucking about with electronically-controlled fork dampers back in the 90s.

http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/cycling/bikes/K2/1999-OzM/smartshock.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche