Author Topic: Mudguards for bike with clearance but no mounts.  (Read 1134 times)

Mudguards for bike with clearance but no mounts.
« on: 13 January, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
On my old inbred forks there is loads of clearance for the tyres but no mudguard mounts. I've drilled one where the brakes would bolt through on a road bike but have previously used p clips around the fork legs. I'm sure I saw some that go round the axle rather like the sks race blades but can't find anything now.

Re: Mudguards for bike with clearance but no mounts.
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2018, 03:47:25 pm »
http://practicalcycles.com/products/303965--dia-compe-ene-ciclo-mudguard-adaptors-for-bikes-without-mudguard-eyelets.aspx

These? Fit to qr skewers instead of using p clips. Yo have the fork crown bolt bit sorted.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »
http://practicalcycles.com/products/303965--dia-compe-ene-ciclo-mudguard-adaptors-for-bikes-without-mudguard-eyelets.aspx

These? Fit to qr skewers instead of using p clips. Yo have the fork crown bolt bit sorted.

Yep - they work ... I've fitted some in the shop but had to do a bit of bending to clear the tube thickness at the lower end of the forks.  I'd suggest these on the front (with the breakaway clips for safety) as you have little choice  but use P-clips on the rear as changing a wheel with the brackets on is a PITA.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
Last week I got a pair of normal guards and a set of raceblade type, from Rutland cycles, for £4.99 each. Fittings weren't attached, so you could buy similar (if they are still on offer) and mix up the fittings. £9.98 is still a good price for a set of guards
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2018, 07:52:10 pm »
Thanks Christophe they look the job as can then use existing guards. The back ones are p clips again but it's a steel bike so they're small. The front ones are big and It makes it look messy