Author Topic: Salisbury Plain  (Read 2942 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Salisbury Plain
« on: 20 March, 2018, 10:09:40 am »
I've got a few days in Wiltshire coming up and, if the weather is good, I hope to get out for a few early morning rides.  I've always wanted to ride up to Stonehenge from the north, which I've been told is the best way to approach it. 

I'll be coming from near Warminster and want to avoid A roads, so I was hoping to use the lanes across Salisbury Plain and have plotted a route using Ride With GPX... but I'm aware that the Plain is also a playground for the military types so I was wondering if anyone with local knowledge can offer any advice on whether these roads are likely to be accessible.  I have a vague memory of riding across some of the Plain on the Wessex 100 years ago and encountering tanks crossing the road, but there was no problem using the road itself.

I've assumed that the software allows me only to plot roads that are open (it did prevent me from using one that was shown) but I'm also a bit wary.

Ta in advance.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Salisbury Plain
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2018, 11:43:10 am »
My preferred approach to view the stones would be on the track over Normanton Down, as I recall that the view approaching from Larkhill wasn't that spectacular. However, the ride over the part of the Plain between Larkhill and Chriton is nice if it's open (and you might be able to follow the perimeter track if it's not). I think it's an artillery range. It's very rough tarmac, I've always been on a mountain bike, but should be OK on a tourer if you take it easy. I'm sure you would find the details of closures online these days, I always just used to chance it, and very rarely had to reroute.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2018, 02:25:31 pm »
You can approach Stonehenge from the north using the track running down the middle of this view:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stonehenge/@51.1829851,-1.8236251,990m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x979170e2bcd3d2dd!8m2!3d51.178882!4d-1.826215
But you don't get a close look at the stones, in fact they'll probably be swamped by millions of tourists. The track is fairly smooth stone and gravel. Expect hippy vans!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2018, 04:09:07 pm »
Call 01980 674763 for info on current restrictions (recorded message).
All of the tracks will be marked off with red flags if there's no access, but phoning beforehand may save a detour after coming across a flag unexpectedly.

Imber Range, at the Warminster side of the A360, is no public access at any time, other than the perimeter path.

On the main part of the Plain, the other side of the A360, there are a couple of tracks across the interior of the Plain, shown in green on the OS 1:25000 Explorer maps.
The main one, from Urchfont/Chirton down to the (ex) Bustard Inn, is a decent gravel road on which quite high speeds are possible, and is open most weekends (afaik). At the southern end there are the remains of the old tarmac road, which requires a certain amount of care to avoid sharp edges. Don't go through puddles at speed, as you don't know what may be lurking under the water.
It's largely downhill from north to south.

Redlight

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2018, 06:50:44 pm »
Thank you all.

My planned route has me going through Westbury, coming off the B3098 near Urchfront. Then I'll be meandering over the plain to cross the A3345 just south of Upavon and again just after Figheldean, as I know the parallel road towards Bulford is very pleasant.  After that, through Larkhill and picking up the track that Cudzoziemiec highlighted towards the stones.  As I've said, it all looks fine on Ride With GPS but I'll call in a advance and take the OS map as back up in case I have to re-route.  I'm anticipating going early enough to beat most of the tourists  ;).

After that, the return leg will be along the Wylye Valley, through Stockton and Sutton Veny, which I've only ridden in the other direction in the past.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2018, 07:11:49 pm »
If you do want to ride across Imber and maybe visit the deserted village (the medieval church is a gem and somewhat surreal in that setting) then it's open around Christmas, Easter and I think also August Bank Holiday every year. No werewolves but do stick to the road!
https://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/whats-on/imber-open-days-easter-2018-p2350813

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2018, 07:20:54 pm »
No werewolves but do stick to the road!

I think it's wowbadgers you have to look out for in that part of the world.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2018, 08:24:42 pm »
If you do want to ride across Imber and maybe visit the deserted village (the medieval church is a gem and somewhat surreal in that setting) then it's open around Christmas, Easter and I think also August Bank Holiday every year. No werewolves but do stick to the road!
The August-ish opening isn't fixed on the bank holiday.  The lazy way to find out is watch for Iddu's Old Roads And Drove Roads 200 on the calendar which takes you to Imber with some assurance against lead poisoning.  It wasn't on the BH in 2016 (my first Audax :smug:) it was last year and is again this.
The slightly less lazy way is to search for SPTA on gov.uk thus
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2018, 06:19:47 pm »

I suspect that most of them have been shot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:27:33 am »

I suspect that most of them have been shot.
Or learnt that headbutting tanks isn't as easy as headbutting cyclists.

« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2018, 01:18:49 pm »

Dates also from the Salisbury Plain Training Area Newsletter pdfs

Imber Ranges. The public are excluded at all times, except when the roads are specifically opened. Planned opening dates for 2018 are as follows:
Event Open Closed
Easter 1800hrs Thur 29 Mar 18 0800hrs Tue 03 Apr 18
Summer 1800hrs Fri 17 Aug 18 0800hrs Fri 24 Aug 18
Christmas 1800hrs Thur 27 Dec 18 0800hrs Wed 02 Jan 19

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

Dates also from the Salisbury Plain Training Area Newsletter pdfs

Imber Ranges. The public are excluded at all times, except when the roads are specifically opened. Planned opening dates for 2018 are as follows:
Event Open Closed
Easter 1800hrs Thur 29 Mar 18 0800hrs Tue 03 Apr 18
Summer 1800hrs Fri 17 Aug 18 0800hrs Fri 24 Aug 18
Christmas 1800hrs Thur 27 Dec 18 0800hrs Wed 02 Jan 19

Eh?  What?? Oh, you bastards...First time EVAH, Grrrr...

Better hit the batphone tonight.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2018, 02:21:15 pm »
So they're going to be closed till after Christmas. That's kind of a shame. Our 2016 Christmas meal ride went through there – it must have been the weekend before Christmas – and it was quite spooky, in a good way, as the mist came down but carols floated out from the service in the church completely obscured by fog, while a platoon of squaddies (infantry, no tanks) did some kind of urban combat exercise in the block houses below.

« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »
Distant but fine view of the Stones from here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=413175&y=143460&z=120&sv=413175,143460&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=770&ax=413175&ay=143460&lm=0

The road from the Bustard Inn...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=409085&y=146100&z=120&sv=409085,146100&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=770&ax=409085&ay=146100&lm=0

...northwest to/from Westdown Camp and Tilshead is well surfaced (in spite of pothole warnings) but is often closed by the red flags. The recorded phone message may tell you (listen for "Westdown Camp").

Enjoy Wiltshire!

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2018, 04:17:34 pm »
Oooh, didn't spot OR&DR 200 had been snipped off.

Is the opening of Westdown/Larkhill, south of Redhorn Hill gate, always in sync with Imber range official opening dates?  Seems to be a little unclear from the March newsletter.  I have been at Easter in a previous year, and they were all open together.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2018, 04:33:16 pm »
The Westdown Camp road is open much more often than Imber, but much less predictably.

Redlight

« Reply #16 on: 02 April, 2018, 01:09:16 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.  Despite occasional biblical rain, I had a great ride across from Warminster via Chitterne, then took the bridleway from Larkhill to approach the stones from the south, past the hippy caravans, etc. Then meandered a bit to cross the A303 near Berwick St James. Then took the old track - great views - over to Steeple Langford, over the A36 and then all minor roads through Wylye, Stockton, etc.  All in all, with the occasional small diversion "just to see what was down there", about 60 miles and a very enjoyable morning.