Author Topic: Tan Hill Spring expotition - 13/04/18  (Read 3035 times)

Tan Hill Spring expotition - 13/04/18
« on: 23 March, 2018, 12:57:00 am »
Continuing the series - the same as the other rides, we'll all congregate at the pub from all points of the compass, get pissed, eat, sleep, and then ride back home/to the nearest convenient train station on Saturday.

Tan Hill has bunk rooms. So it's not an exercise in privation, but I'm sure it'll be warm enough to camp. Call the pub for a bunk, or just turn up if you're camping. Pick your own route to the pub.

Attending
Deano
Anita [NOTP]
Andy [NOTP]
DALE
boab
Chris S (probably)
bunbury
Oscar's Dad
Socks

The other spring ride: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106900.0

The winter ride (with actual snow): https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105310.0

Autumn: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104696.0

And the inaugural ride in actual summer: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104473.0

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Tan Hill Spring expotition - 13/04/18
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2018, 07:55:10 am »
That weekend's free for me  :thumbsup:

However, I doubt I'll be able to get the afternoon off work, so I'll be arriving in the dark again.  The are then a couple of eventualities that could stymie the whole plan, but hopefully those won't come up.  I'll camp either way. 

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:17:27 am »
I should be good to make this. April is bivi bag weather, right?

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2018, 10:22:02 am »
Going to Majorca on the 14th, otherwise I'd come!

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:16:11 pm »
Sorry, can't make it - going to Spain (Castalla near Alicante) for the week.  Hopefully it will be a bit warmer, although just as hilly as Tan Hill.  Then again last time I went away for some Spring warmth, it snowed for the first time in twelve years (in Majorca).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:22:11 pm »
I'm 'running' up the Transporter Bridge for char-i-dee on the 14th. Not sure what my launch time is, yet.

So, basically, erm, yeah, probably.

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2018, 03:53:17 pm »
Yep, I'll be there.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:03:52 pm »
I might share this with Others. The more the merrier?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:20:31 pm »
Go ferrit

Booking an afternoon of at this point isn't going to happen but I'm pretty sure I won't have a 4pm meeting, so I can at least sneak out a bit early.  I'll be doing a late arrival again though.

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2018, 09:43:29 am »
I'm out- I can't get out of work early and we have issues

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:49:42 am »
I'm pretty sure I won't have a 4pm meeting, so I can at least sneak out a bit early.

Guess what?  Yup that's right, I've now got a 4pm meeting.  I'm out. 

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:42:25 pm »
I'll still be there. Hopefully. I've not looked at weather, camping kit or condition of bikes.

How much are rooms? Sort of tempted by two light and long fixed gear rides. EDIT - £30. Bugger that.

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:01:03 pm »
I'll still be there, and still camping. Looks as though we'll all be in the Campers' Corner of Shame at breakfast.

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2018, 09:17:14 pm »
There were four of us in the end, so I didn't bother with awards, except the Ever-Present Award*.

Dale warned me in advance that there were quite a few other campers there - the school lot were fine, if a bit jolly hockeysticks, but the walkers were quite irritating (not at didgeridoo levels of Annoying, but irritating to the point that Dale was complaining about them being a bunch of wankers within their earshot).

I'm not sure why their teachers pitched all their tents on the boggy bit, unless it was some obscure form of revenge.

A fine night was had, and this morning Dale and I went bog-trotting. Well, after a quick turn along the A66 in bunbury's honour, who was sadly unable to make it - it was fine.

None of my photos capture quite how wet it truly was, but the track was mostly pretty ridable, apart from about a mile of dragging bikes and hopping bogs, hoping none of the hummocks were going to give way, a la Takeshi's Castle. It was glorious, loads of fun, and I don't think you can get more remote than that on a bike in England. The farmer popped out of the farmhouse down Baldersdale (BTW this was the first sign of habitation we'd seen for about three hours, since the other side of the Pennines), and was suitably impressed by our feat. He told us " No one's ridden that track since 1961!" - to which our reply was "What year is it now?"

The other photos are here.

Shall we say August for the next one? Dale was on about changing venue, and I'd like somewhere doable by public transport. Suggestions welcome.

* Winner: Me. My prize was a fry-up for breakfast, but I didn't top it off with beer. I did go and get some cereal from the non-campers' breakfast room, though. I keep forgetting you're not supposed to do that.

« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:16:28 am »
Pray tell what made the walkers particularly irritating?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2018, 11:18:43 am »
They fully put the 'N' into 'Walker'. Just loud, obnoxious, dildos. One of them was up at 7am, which meant everyone else camping had to be up at 7am. The loud music and even louder chat about morning ablutions sealed the deal. Dickhead.

Despite that, I fully enjoyed it. Rode the Sustrans tracks 70 and 715 down from Durham. Should have packed a snorkel mind, this was a relatively dry stretch.

Bowes Museum

Sleightholme Moor

When I was the only dickhead on site. Happy days.

They were.

Bit of bonus climbing...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #18 on: 19 April, 2018, 11:47:13 am »
Is that a new bike I spy under Deano?  What is it?

« Reply #19 on: 19 April, 2018, 12:27:40 pm »
Giant Toughroad. He's away in the lakes with it at the minute I believe.

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2018, 11:40:52 pm »
Pray tell what made the walkers particularly irritating?

Their whiny accent (not the worst of their crimes, but it did grate, especially when they had a loud conversation at 7 in the morning).

Giant Toughroad, as Dale says. It's been PDG in a week in the Lakes. Off to the Moors tomorrow!