Author Topic: Tesco bike insurance  (Read 1538 times)

Tesco bike insurance
« on: 11 April, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
Interesting item regarding Tesco bike insurance in Cambridge News today. Bike parked at Cambridge north station had wheels nicked. Tesco insurance say wheels and gears are accessories and are not covered by their policy. That sound a bit odd to you?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Tesco bike insurance
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:09:59 am »
if they were in a shed, not mounted on a bike, that would perhaps make sense, but to say that wheels are an accessory i.e. not a fundamental part of a bike seems to be stretching things a bit
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
Same apply to a car?

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:58:14 pm »
Definitely trying it on IMO. Lights, gps, luggage, fair enough. Wheels not so much!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »
It seems that these were qr wheels, not locked to bike or anywhere else. I’m guessing this is pertinent.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2018, 03:37:18 pm »
So that could be the bars, saddle, pedals etc? Blimey.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
I would have thought the policy would define what are "accessories"?

If it didn't, I'm sure Tesco would lose if it went to court.

Maybe anything which can be removed from a bike without tools counts as "accessories" to Tesco.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »
Maybe anything which can be removed from a bike without tools counts as "accessories" to Tesco.

Seems as pragmatic a definition as any.  Especially in an insurance context.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2018, 05:01:31 pm »
They're 'avin a larf.

An accessory is an optional extra which improves ... Blah blah... Dictionary definition. Wheels are not an optional extra on a bicycle. That's like breathing being an optional extra for human life.

Don't let them get away with that. Jokers.

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »
However nor securing the qr wheels with a suitably specified lock might be considered stupid negligent.

Interestingly most policies limit the “unattended” time to 12 hours, the exception being at stations where it’s generally 24 hours. Past that, you’re uninsured, which would cover all the bikes left at London termini etc over the weekends.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2018, 05:37:53 pm »
Looking at the current household policy wording for Tesco's contents insurance, the exclusion that seems to be referenced here is:

"Loss or damage to tyres, accessories or removable parts of a bicycle, unless the bicycle is lost or damaged at the same time".

So, I would guess that the QR wheels are included under the 'removable parts' exclusion.

Interestingly, with this wording, even if the wheels were locked, if the thief overcame the lock and just stole the wheels, then they still wouldn't be covered by the policy. They would only be covered if the whole bike was stolen.

Indeed, you could argue that every part of a bike is removable from the frame, just that some parts are easier to remove.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43