Author Topic: Leg shaving  (Read 4718 times)

Samuel D

Leg shaving
« on: 25 April, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »
I know, that old chestnut.

In the last few weeks, since switching to shorts, I’ve had not one but two cyclists approach me from behind and attempt to pluck a hair out of my calf. At least one of the pluckers knows I don’t race.

What does this mean?

Women who shave for other reasons should be glad they’re spared this conundrum.

Chris N

Re: Leg shaving
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2018, 01:30:59 pm »
It means they're twats who ought to be told to do one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »
They're flirting with you.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:21:10 pm »
It is still de rigeur amongst most club cyclists of my acquaintance. 

Plucking is surely just a bit of mickey-taking, nothing to get wound-up about.

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:45:53 pm »
It didn’t wind me up (but that was before I knew they were flirting with me!).

It’s a curious phenomenon, this shaving by men who otherwise wouldn’t (although I see many non-cycling men in Paris – including straight ones – who shave for presumably aesthetic reasons). I have nothing against it and spend many an hour admiring the shaved legs in front of me. All the same, I haven’t done it for fear of coming across as a poseur. That and my legs are unimpressive looking by the standards of keen cyclists. Maybe that’s all the more reason to shave.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:46:21 pm »
What does it mean?  It means you should shave your legs.

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:16:49 pm »
It is still de rigeur amongst most club cyclists of my acquaintance. 

Plucking is surely just a bit of mickey-taking, nothing to get wound-up about.

There's a difference between club mates (most of whom would get the Paddington Hard State or a kindly eff off, depending) and random cyclists coming up behind you and grabbing at your legs (who at best would get told to eff off in no uncertain terms). From a safety point of view alone it doesn't seem like the wisest idea to be grabbing at someone's legs unaware; and if even primary school kids are taught that unwanted touching is wrong, then grown-ups should have no excuse.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:20:58 pm »
Perhaps it just means that Samuel is really attractive and they can't keep their hands off him?  This thread is nothing without photos ...

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:48:33 pm »
I like being hairy. I couldn't bear it otherwise.
It is simpler than it looks.

Samuel D

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:56:36 pm »
This thread is nothing without photos ...

Photos.

As is probably the case for Karla, the ladies (and now gents) swoon over my intellect rather than my rugged good looks. It’s not that I’m not very handsome, as you may perceive in the photos. It’s just that my dazzling wit and lambent humour leave the lasting impression.

One of the pluckers was practically a stranger. The other is a racer I joke around with at Longchamp. He sometimes pushes my rear brake off centre and that sort of carry-on. I’m flattered he thinks I can safely control my bicycle when subjected to an attack like this with a cyclist riding on each elbow. But I lead a dangerous life and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2018, 06:38:01 pm »
What does it mean? Your sprouts are hairy.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107723.0
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »
I would suggest something along the lines of reserving his hands for the putes in the Bois de Boulogne if he doesn't want to find himselfpendu par les couilles et enculé par ta pompe à vélo. Pûtain pédé!! :facepalm:

« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:59:42 pm »
I find it hard to believe that this should be in The Knowledge.

It appears that OP keeps/has kept company with the cretins that have behaved in such a childish (adolescent?) way. I appreciate that the problem is real. However I've never encountered that sort of behaviour. It may be because I'm not a "proper cyclist" and haven't cycled in that sort of culture.

I was assuming that this was in the UK. My limited experience of riding in France doesn't alter my view.

But surely not "The Knowledge".

Samuel D

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:46:38 am »
Cudzoziemiec: I will only say that that slope is an artist.

mzjo: Sounds like you know the Longchamp area well. If you’re ever up here, drop me a note and we can do a few laps and talk about Paul Fournel’s fondness for LonLon.

Crumbling Nick: I see you’re a serious man who believes playing is for children. I am not so strict with my categories and took the plucking in good humour. As for the endless and pointless sub-divisions and sub-sub-divisions of this forum, I sustain hope that the powers will see sense and unify them into one forum or failing that a manageable number. In the meantime I can only go by the forum explanations, which for The Knowledge say “cycling-related Q&A”.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:02:07 am »
I would probably have said the most appropriate place for this topic is Freewheeling, as it's not really asking for information. If you were actually asking for advice on how to shave your legs or to discuss the pros and cons of doing so, then it would be here. But it doesn't really matter that it's here or there, IMO.

Samuel D

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:43:32 am »
Happy to have it moved anywhere more appropriate including the bin. Just a light-hearted topic that has now run its course.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:24:37 pm »
I would probably have said the most appropriate place for this topic is Freewheeling, as it's not really asking for information. If you were actually asking for advice on how to shave your legs or to discuss the pros and cons of doing so, then it would be here. But it doesn't really matter that it's here or there, IMO.

Advice on how to do it: a women's razor makes for a better shave.  I got this from a laydee whose boyfriend had been converted to the delights of the sisterhood's shave, and it's been a revelatory experience.

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »
Surprised Rapha haven't already rebranded these at a 100% markup; it's not like they'd even need to change the colours...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:00:40 pm »
Surprised Rapha haven't already rebranded these at a 100% markup; it's not like they'd even need to change the colours...

They're already rebranded at a markup.

« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:20:55 pm »
The last person who did it to me got a kick in the teeth chin, remorse level zero.

« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2018, 04:03:54 pm »

They're already rebranded at a markup.

Well, yes, but how much more could you charge if there was a nifty little Anquetil quote about the joys of shaving printed along the side?

(To add insult to injury, would they be zero-VAT-rated?)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2018, 05:29:35 pm »
If, as I take Kim's post to mean, women's razors are just men's rebranded and recoloured, how come they give (according to Karla) a better (leg) shave? It does seem to suggest that they are in some way optimised for legs over face, presumably meaning for larger area with finer hair. How they would do this I have no idea, but looking at all the threads about knives on this forum, there's obviously a lot to be said about blades!

And while on the topic of branding razors as masculine or feminine, how did they get that yellow-orange colour accepted as masculine? Yes I know it's Bic house colour, but in any other context it would almost certainly be taken as screaming "lady-wear"!

Unless I misunderstood her and she meant Rapha is rebranded other stuff (pretty sure it's not though).

« Reply #23 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:39:10 pm »

mzjo: Sounds like you know the Longchamp area well. If you’re ever up here, drop me a note and we can do a few laps and talk about Paul Fournel’s fondness for LonLon.

Crumbling Nick: I see you’re a serious man who believes playing is for children. I am not so strict with my categories and took the plucking in good humour. As for the endless and pointless sub-divisions and sub-sub-divisions of this forum, I sustain hope that the powers will see sense and unify them into one forum or failing that a manageable number. In the meantime I can only go by the forum explanations, which for The Knowledge say “cycling-related Q&A”.

Samuel I am very sorry but my knowledge of IdF is limited to demolition sites and I share a typical provincial aversion to foreigners parisians (even though I am friendly with a few). Also I would never manage to stay with that well-honed super athletic body. However I have known a few who have sought contact with the "professionelle" ladies and the comment is typical biased provincial speak. I hope that sensible parents have suitably censored it or hidden it from their children! "A" level french only I fear!

« Reply #24 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:56:52 pm »

I am duly put down.